Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #61

Nobody here seems to be talking too much about "layering on real world things" to an NFT. Sam Harris explains how that's part of his plan

https://youtube.com/u1DgYveFF4Y?t=94
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2022, 07:23 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post

If there is an EMP attack or solar storm and I survive, I still have my painting (and it might bring me comfort as the world burns) but the NFT would be gone.
And if your house burns down then you lose the painting, but you would still have the NFT.
Old 04-17-2022, 07:30 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
If I understand this correctly, yes the digital thing (tweet, cartoon) can be copied very easily, but the NFT cannot. NFTs are unique and cannot be copied. I get that but I can't help wondering how anyone knows that you have THE NFT for owning that thing. I mean there's a long history of forgeries in the art world and even museums have found out that they own forged Van Goghs. Couldn't someone forge an NFT? Just like a painting, the original would still be out there, but what would prevent someone from creating a new, fake NFT that says this digital cartoon is THE original one and that YOU now own it legitimately?
That is the point. When you store something on the blockchain (this new fancy database), it can not be forged because of the cryptographic properties. All of the blockchain explanations are also filled with so much jargon it is nearly impossible to follow. However, here is a really good one and will show you exactly how it works.

Ohh and anyone can browse the blockchain to see who owns what. You can simply pull up an app on your phone to prove to your friends that you own the asset. And they can pull it up on their device too.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
And if your house burns down then you lose the painting, but you would still have the NFT.

But it still wouldn't bring me joy.... especially standing in the smouldering ruins of my house. I've taken a digital picture of it... just don't have some block chain pointing to the picture and the picture doesn't bring me much joy but comes in handy on the rare occasion I am out and it comes up in conversation.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #65

Explain this to me like I am five years old (NFT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgs01 View Post
NFTs don't have to be a claim to a picture. They can be a title to your house, season tickets, a subscription, a will, etc.

NFT future is in replacing costly processes to verify or assign ownership or access.

+1. Blockchain technology offers the promise of perfect, verifiable open-source record keeping of all kinds and an end to our reliance on hackable, centralized server farms.

Right now, however, we’re in the “Katie Couric, ‘Yeah, I don’t know if I’ll really use this internet thing’” ignorance and derision phase of development, while the Webvan and Ask Jeeves natural selection market shakeouts into Amazon and Google are ahead of us.

We might be better served and rewarded financially through a posture of curiosity and humility.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I get using an NFT to record the deed to your house or something like that I guess, where it represents something of value. I can even understand an NFT that records your ownership of the plans to your house, assuming they were something you paid to have custom designed by an architect and retained the rights.

I don't really get an NFT that records the fact that you were the first person on your street to put shag carpeting in your upstairs master bedroom.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
+1. Blockchain technology offers the promise of perfect, verifiable open-source record keeping of all kinds and an end to our reliance on hackable, centralized server farms.

Right now, however, we’re in the beginning “Katie Couric, ‘Yeah, I don’t know if I’ll really use this internet thing’” phase of development and the Webvan and Ask Jeeves natural selection market shakeouts into Amazon and Google are ahead of us.

I agree the technology will prove useful but selling of tweets and other silly things are equivalent to Beenie Baby's or maybe Pets.com back in the day.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I don't really get an NFT that records the fact that you were the first person on your street to put shag carpeting in your upstairs master bedroom.

I think we should all have NFTs made of our screen names and FIRE date!
Old 04-18-2022, 09:08 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I agree the technology will prove useful but selling of tweets and other silly things are equivalent to Beenie Baby's or maybe Pets.com back in the day.

Silly often evolves to essential quickly and unpredictably. The world’s smartest tech minds are pouring into blockchain development of all kinds.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Right now, however, we’re in the “Katie Couric, ‘Yeah, I don’t know if I’ll really use this internet thing’” ignorance and derision phase of development, while the Webvan and Ask Jeeves natural selection market shakeouts into Amazon and Google are ahead of us.
I think this is a fair assessment. Yes, some of the things that NFTs are being used for right now are completely inane and are unlikely to stick around, like buying tweets. But the technology is useful. Right now, we're in the "throw it all against the wall and see what sticks" stage. I'm sure in a couple of years, when most of the nonsense has been filtered out, we'll all be using NFTs in one way or another.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with Marcola that blockchain technology will be of growing importance. Even NFTs registered on the blockchain will have their place - I don't pretend to know what that will ultimately be but I am guessing variations on cartoon apes won't be a major factor. Gartner's hype cycle charts are always fun. They show a couple of key elements of blockchain tech having passed the trough of disillusionment and heading towards the plateau of productivity. Many other elements have a long way to go. Note that NFTs are at the top of the hype cycle and poised to plummet.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Nobody here seems to be talking too much about "layering on real world things" to an NFT. Sam Harris explains how that's part of his plan

https://youtube.com/u1DgYveFF4Y?t=94
link is dead
Old 04-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #73

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Closed Thread