Join Early Retirement Today

Extreme Couponing
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Extreme Couponing

Caught a documentary on cable last night about extreme couponers. You'll know if it is on in your area cause that's the name of the show. Anyway, seems these folk collect all the coupons they can--one even walking weekly 7 miles to different neighbors or dumpster diving--and then stockpile the coupons in organized groups, go to the grocery stores when there is a sale and double coupon day and make a haul.
It shows where one fellow buys over $900 worth of groceries and pays some ridiculous price like $27 for it all after couponing, sales and double coupon days. The others are just so successful at saving money than he was, so this is not an isolated case.
This seems to pretty much be either a full-time job for these people (up to 70 hours a week) or their only after-work activity. One couple had a home that was so loaded with stuff that, if it were me, I'd spend a couple of those hour organizing and cleaning up cause things were under/on/around all their furniture. Most, tho, were pretty organized and had a specific place like the garage or basement shelving where all was displayed.
I did notice that those that were organized were REALLY organized with all the labels facing frontward (hello, OCD).
All seemed to be total control freaks, but, happily, the one fellow that does this as a hobby does donate alot of his excess product with a shelf life to shelters for the needy so that's wonderful.
All in all, this was pretty interesting to me. I don't personally know anyone like this, but how could I since their main activity is couponing and not people? If you get a chance to see this, do so. It's a good watch...and interesting to say the least.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw the same show. Needless to say, my overall impression was "Get a Life".

There was 1 individual who actually was doing some good by delivering huge quantities of cereal purchased through his extreme couponing habit to a church for their food pantry. This guy gets 10 points in my book. Nah, make that 20 points for good measure.

The rest were merely hoarders.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
. This guy gets 10 points in my book. Nah, make that 20 points for good measure.
Wednesday is double coupon day - make that 40 points
Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
gone traveling

I (accidentally; hey, it was about LBYM...) watched a few minutes while channel surfing- suspect a competitive mental health spinoff show is already in the works for these folks...i.e. which patient in the asylum has the most pasta, toothpaste, or dryer sheets?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My thoughts are how do you monetize this? If it takes 70 hours to get $900 worth of "stuff" that is probably worth $450 if you just bought it somewhere like walmart or target, what do you do with all of it? Are these people selling it at flea markets and yard sales? Maybe it is 70 hrs to get multiple hauls of $900 worth of stuff.

A friend says his mom does this at CVS/Walgreens or something and occasionally gets enough stuff to sell it at yard sales. I really wonder what the hourly rate for doing this is. May be a good ER hobby for the detail oriented person. Or if you can really get multiple hauls of $900 a week, a good ESR job (if you can offload the junk).
Old 01-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
My thoughts are how do you monetize this? If it takes 70 hours to get $900 worth of "stuff" that is probably worth $450 if you just bought it somewhere like walmart or target, what do you do with all of it? Are these people selling it at flea markets and yard sales? Maybe it is 70 hrs to get multiple hauls of $900 worth of stuff.

A friend says his mom does this at CVS/Walgreens or something and occasionally gets enough stuff to sell it at yard sales. I really wonder what the hourly rate for doing this is. May be a good ER hobby for the detail oriented person. Or if you can really get multiple hauls of $900 a week, a good ESR job (if you can offload the junk).
There are some people who hold yard sales several times a year and sell their stockpiled items. They claim they bring in hundreds to sometimes several thousand dollars. It is all pretty amazing and for some it is a key piece of family income. On SD there are threads with stockpile pictures and yard sale pricing discussions as well as how to do the deals with sales and coupons and rebates.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

My wife saw a few minutes and told me about it. She said "If you want to save more money, you should get into this".

My response... your the SAHM, you need a hobby when the kids start school, next Fall.

I guess I didn't get any points, nor will she be clipping any coupons anytime soon

I also commented that WE should plan our menu so we can purchase things on sale/bulk vs. running to the store 4 - 5 times a week for that item that we ran out of but need right now. Paying full price along with the wasteful gas use doesn't win any points in my mind. But what do I know...
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
There are some people who hold yard sales several times a year and sell their stockpiled items. They claim they bring in hundreds to sometimes several thousand dollars. It is all pretty amazing and for some it is a key piece of family income. On SD there are threads with stockpile pictures and yard sale pricing discussions as well as how to do the deals with sales and coupons and rebates.
Hmmm.. I'm a SD lurker so I may have to check out those pics.

This is directed to everyone, it appears from a friend's facebook post that this was on TLC last night. In case you want to catch a re-run.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiming_4_55 View Post
My wife saw a few minutes and told me about it. She said "If you want to save more money, you should get into this".

My response... your the SAHM, you need a hobby when the kids start school, next Fall.

I guess I didn't get any points, nor will she be clipping any coupons anytime soon

I also commented that WE should plan our menu so we can purchase things on sale/bulk vs. running to the store 4 - 5 times a week for that item that we ran out of but need right now. Paying full price along with the wasteful gas use doesn't win any points in my mind. But what do I know...

Your wife and mine must talk to each other.... she tells me about the 'stupid coupons' on stuff that she does not want etc. etc... and will not even look through them... I say 'heck, we buy toothpaste etc. and can get SOME value out of this'... she says she is to busy to waste time doing it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I feel so cheap frugal! Why bother with stinkin’ coupons when there are so many freebies out there. For the price of giving my e-mail address to film clubs, we often get two tickets to free screenings including (sometimes) free medium soda and free medium popcorn. And if we walk out, no offense, that’s what they want to know, will it play in our neck of the woods.

There are lots of free concerts, plays, circus acts, etc. in the parks. If you go to street fairs and other places with lots of foot traffic, there are free new food products handed out, even dry cat food, I like that one! One of my former co-w*rkers would walk round and round the block, picking up freebie candy bars, popping them into his back back, and pretending to be surprised when meeting a new product rep.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I feel so cheap frugal! Why bother with stinkin’ coupons when there are so many freebies out there. For the price of giving my e-mail address to film clubs, we often get two tickets to free screenings including (sometimes) free medium soda and free medium popcorn. And if we walk out, no offense, that’s what they want to know, will it play in our neck of the woods.

There are lots of free concerts, plays, circus acts, etc. in the parks. If you go to street fairs and other places with lots of foot traffic, there are free new food products handed out, even dry cat food, I like that one! One of my former co-w*rkers would walk round and round the block, picking up freebie candy bars, popping them into his back back, and pretending to be surprised when meeting a new product rep.

What film clubs I used to get free tickets at a site online... but now they say they have tickets... but really they want you to buy them... I would like to get back on a site that is really free....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What film clubs I used to get free tickets at a site online... but now they say they have tickets... but really they want you to buy them... I would like to get back on a site that is really free....
I believe film clubs are local. I got into the most lucrative one by info in the fine print of a ticket stub. Tonight there is a free offer to see a preview of Showtime's "Shameless" including soda and popcorn. (A 20-min. preview is also available online without the snacks). Also I once applied for a movie drawing and sometimes get offers thru that; I know it comes from that because it is the only time I sent a text message. Another way to get a ticket is randomly; they hand them out a couple of days in advance to people in the theater lobby--got one that way once--but they wanted a full critique from viewers; the one's I go to now don't require any comments; they just hope for word-of-mouth hype.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe this couponing thing works well for people who buy the sort of food that the coupons are for. I only cut out coupons for stuff we buy anyhow (Cheerios, toothpaste) and try to combine them with a sale.

I don't want to spend that much time figuring out how to save money - and don't want to stockpile that much. Sheesh, I thought I already stockpiled too much!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #14

I guess I don't have the time now as I need to focus on my full time J*b, property management/repiars of rental units, and time for family.

However this could be a neat hobby after FIRE, save on the grocery budget and extra can be given to your kids and/or food shelf, but I can't see myself investing 70 hours a week on it for a 1k savings.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife does the coupon thing. She mainly hits CVS/Walgreen. It's more of a game for her. Sometimes they actually pay her to take the stuff out of the store. But she ends up giving a lot of it away. It's a hobby for her.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
My wife does the coupon thing. She mainly hits CVS/Walgreen. It's more of a game for her. Sometimes they actually pay her to take the stuff out of the store. But she ends up giving a lot of it away. It's a hobby for her.

+1. I do the same as your wife. When the above has a free item, I'll go and stockpile stuff. Within 3 months I'll have more than a year's stash of stuff like toothpaste and deodorant and hair products, but I'm careful to take only what I realistically can use or give away. I've given alot away to my son and friends and neighbors thru the last years that I've done this. Why not? It costs nothing but the few tax pennies, and everyone seems happy to get it. And, frankly, I don't want to make room for that much junk in my house.
Some of these stockpilers have so much stuff that they possibly cannot use it all I figure--unless they are having huge parties or giving some away. I got the impression they were mostly OCD/insecure/control freaks is all.
Giving away what is such excess as these people have collected to charity would be the best usage for all that crap I would think. Somebody would benefit--and it wouldn't cost anything more than the tax.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
My wife does the coupon thing. She mainly hits CVS/Walgreen....
Their coupons get my attention. Sometimes they add a $5 coupon to the receipt to be used unrestricted on the next visit. I actually make a point of using those coupons. Hardware store does the same thing. My price is $5, apparently.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
My price is $5, apparently.
I'm not touching that one...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote