Fake Housefly

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A December National Public Radio report noted that fake houseflies have begun appearing in urinals around the world based apparently on research showing that men are more likely to aim at the flies, thus leaving the area surrounding the urinal cleaner. Another commentator wondered how such "research" was conducted (other than by the obvious method of paper-wiping floors around urinals and then comparing the wipes). [KPCC Radio (Pasadena, Calif.), 12-25-09]

What guy could resist a little target practice on the disgusting pests?

BTW, did you hear the one about the fly on the toilet seat? He got pi$$ed off! :LOL:

Been traveling the interstates a lot to visit the 3 grandkids. Hit every reststop due to too much coffee and a weak bladder. Am always amazed at the amount of 'dribble' on the floor around the urinal. Guess some guys just can't aim.

I've seen fake flies in urinals. They were painted on the porcelain. Can't remember where it was. All I remember is that the floor was spotless!

Been traveling the interstates a lot to visit the 3 grandkids. Hit every reststop due to too much coffee and a weak bladder. Am always amazed at the amount of 'dribble' on the floor around the urinal. Guess some guys just can't aim.

No, it's those damn flies on the floor. :D

These things have been in Europe for a few years now. The best one I like is in the local pub of BIL in Cheshire. Each urinal has soccer goal with a soccer ball suspended from the cross bar on a swinging rod encouraging, the user to hit the ball into the goal.

These things have been in Europe for a few years now. The best one I like is in the local pub of BIL in Cheshire. Each urinal has soccer goal with a soccer ball suspended from the cross bar on a swinging rod encouraging, the user to hit the ball into the goal.

About 20 years ago, the urinals at my workplace had a gadget called a Tinkle Toy. It had a little propeller on it that spun if your aim was true.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago, the urinals at my workplace had a gadget called a Tinkle Toy. It had a little propeller on it that spun if your aim was true.

Are you pulling my (our) leg(s)? :cool:

If nothing, ignorance of such things proves I am a woman and therefore never saw the inside of mens' bathrooms.
LIGHTNING BOLT...Ok, ok, my friends and I may have commandered an empty one here and there in crowded college bars...and then there was that "Herren" one I accidentally walked into in Germany in Rudesheim...;)

Are you pulling my (our) leg(s)? :cool:

If nothing, ignorance of such things proves I am a woman and therefore never saw the inside of mens' bathrooms.
LIGHTNING BOLT...Ok, ok, my friends and I may have commandered an empty one here and there in crowded college bars...and then there was that "Herren" one I accidentally walked into in Germany in Rudesheim...;)

We are dead serious, there is plenty of evidence that providing targets saves on clean up :D

This is just one of many articles you can read about.

Fake flies in urinals reduce "spillage" from men | 89.3 KPCC

This will have to be a guys-only experience, but should an urgent need send you to the men's room at Terminal Four at JFK Airport in New York, or to the men's rooms at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam, or to any number of stadiums, or — for any 10-year-old boys reading — to more and more elementary school bathrooms all over America, you may see, right above the drain, a perfect facsimile of a house fly.
The presence of a fly in a urinal literally changes human behavior, he thinks — or at least the behavior of human males.

Men Like To Aim

"Apparently," Berenbaum says, in males, "there is a deep-seated instinct to aim at targets," and having a fly to aim at reduces what she politely calls "human spillage."

a little propeller on it that spun ... and sprayed it back at you? :confused:

a little propeller on it that spun ... and sprayed it back at you? :confused:

Nope. The propeller was attached to a small rubber mat around the drain in the bottom of the urinal. The mat had small holes in it and its main purpose was to prevent any debris some moron might throw in there from plugging up the drain pipe. The propeller was a little accessory added for entertainment and (hopefully) incentive to miss the floor.

Urine on the floor:
- I've seen numerous humorous signs above urinals urging men to more realistically appraise the size of their "equipment" and thereafter move in a little closer to the porcelain.
- I theorize that a messy floor begets a messy floor. If there's a puddle there, new arrivals will stand further back to avoid stepping in it. Thus, more mess. So, I blame the establishments, not the pissers, who are, after all, only victims.

I think we can thank Jane Fonda for the urinal sticker idea. There was a time when her smiling visage decorated many urinals on US military bases.

I guess this doesn't apply to urinals...but if a man uses a toilet there should never be pee on the floor since guys have always told me that the water was cold and deep....:whistle:

You guys are just killing me here. My face hurts from laughing. :LOL:
I am naturally a curious person, but I never figured I would want to know about stuff like this.
But then again, I do consider this forum to be my daily "classroom" learning experience. I've lived a sheltered life...yeah right! :whistle:

Carry on, men. :cool:

The best urinals I've seen stick out about 18" from the wall and you actually straddle them. Even the dribblers are "covered".

Hook that up to a tiny generator and you could be making some electricity--someone should patent this green technology and then apply for some gumint money.

Hook that up to a tiny generator and you could be making some electricity--someone should patent this green technology and then apply for some gumint money.

Of course us liberals would want the taxpayers to spring for the beer:blush:

Nah. Samclem already knows that one can generate but a few milliwatts, hence it is not worthwhile. Here is a more reasonable proposal.

Have a miniature (and sufficiently robust to stand up to the urine) tachometer mounted to the propeller. Display its RPM in large LED displays for everyone to see. Sound loud "ding ding ding" when someone breaks a new record for the day.

Nah. Samclem already knows that one can generate but a few milliwatts, hence it is not worthwhile. Here is a more reasonable proposal.

Have a miniature (and sufficiently robust to stand up to the urine) tachometer mounted to the propeller. Display its RPM in large LED displays for everyone to see. Sound loud "ding ding ding" when someone breaks a new record for the day.
And charge people a quarter per chance,with a jackpot for the daily winner.

If the RPMs of the prop get to high, we'd expect the thing to generate some local air currents in the confined space of the urinal, which would be bad. Nobody wants to piss into the wind.

Some urinals go all the way to the floor. This is the best way, no spillage. Also small boys can use them. Eliminates the need to have different mounting heights.

Back
Top Bottom