Join Early Retirement Today

Fake Housefly
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fake Housefly

A December National Public Radio report noted that fake houseflies have begun appearing in urinals around the world based apparently on research showing that men are more likely to aim at the flies, thus leaving the area surrounding the urinal cleaner. Another commentator wondered how such "research" was conducted (other than by the obvious method of paper-wiping floors around urinals and then comparing the wipes). [KPCC Radio (Pasadena, Calif.), 12-25-09]
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

What guy could resist a little target practice on the disgusting pests?

BTW, did you hear the one about the fly on the toilet seat? He got pi$$ed off!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, sure -- you would expect men to aim more because, well, men can aim...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Research more than likely funded with our tax payers dollars...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Been traveling the interstates a lot to visit the 3 grandkids. Hit every reststop due to too much coffee and a weak bladder. Am always amazed at the amount of 'dribble' on the floor around the urinal. Guess some guys just can't aim.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #7

I've seen fake flies in urinals. They were painted on the porcelain. Can't remember where it was. All I remember is that the floor was spotless!
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Been traveling the interstates a lot to visit the 3 grandkids. Hit every reststop due to too much coffee and a weak bladder. Am always amazed at the amount of 'dribble' on the floor around the urinal. Guess some guys just can't aim.
No, it's those damn flies on the floor.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Fly-Equipped Urinal - Urban Legends

true
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Administrator

These things have been in Europe for a few years now. The best one I like is in the local pub of BIL in Cheshire. Each urinal has soccer goal with a soccer ball suspended from the cross bar on a swinging rod encouraging, the user to hit the ball into the goal.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
These things have been in Europe for a few years now. The best one I like is in the local pub of BIL in Cheshire. Each urinal has soccer goal with a soccer ball suspended from the cross bar on a swinging rod encouraging, the user to hit the ball into the goal.
About 20 years ago, the urinals at my workplace had a gadget called a Tinkle Toy. It had a little propeller on it that spun if your aim was true.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
About 20 years ago, the urinals at my workplace had a gadget called a Tinkle Toy. It had a little propeller on it that spun if your aim was true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Are you pulling my (our) leg(s)?

If nothing, ignorance of such things proves I am a woman and therefore never saw the inside of mens' bathrooms.
LIGHTNING BOLT...Ok, ok, my friends and I may have commandered an empty one here and there in crowded college bars...and then there was that "Herren" one I accidentally walked into in Germany in Rudesheim...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Are you pulling my (our) leg(s)?

If nothing, ignorance of such things proves I am a woman and therefore never saw the inside of mens' bathrooms.
LIGHTNING BOLT...Ok, ok, my friends and I may have commandered an empty one here and there in crowded college bars...and then there was that "Herren" one I accidentally walked into in Germany in Rudesheim...

We are dead serious, there is plenty of evidence that providing targets saves on clean up

This is just one of many articles you can read about.

Fake flies in urinals reduce "spillage" from men | 89.3 KPCC

Quote:
This will have to be a guys-only experience, but should an urgent need send you to the men's room at Terminal Four at JFK Airport in New York, or to the men's rooms at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam, or to any number of stadiums, or — for any 10-year-old boys reading — to more and more elementary school bathrooms all over America, you may see, right above the drain, a perfect facsimile of a house fly.
The presence of a fly in a urinal literally changes human behavior, he thinks — or at least the behavior of human males.

Men Like To Aim

"Apparently," Berenbaum says, in males, "there is a deep-seated instinct to aim at targets," and having a fly to aim at reduces what she politely calls "human spillage."
Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
a little propeller on it that spun ... and sprayed it back at you?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
a little propeller on it that spun ... and sprayed it back at you?
Nope. The propeller was attached to a small rubber mat around the drain in the bottom of the urinal. The mat had small holes in it and its main purpose was to prevent any debris some moron might throw in there from plugging up the drain pipe. The propeller was a little accessory added for entertainment and (hopefully) incentive to miss the floor.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Urine on the floor:
- I've seen numerous humorous signs above urinals urging men to more realistically appraise the size of their "equipment" and thereafter move in a little closer to the porcelain.
- I theorize that a messy floor begets a messy floor. If there's a puddle there, new arrivals will stand further back to avoid stepping in it. Thus, more mess. So, I blame the establishments, not the pissers, who are, after all, only victims.

I think we can thank Jane Fonda for the urinal sticker idea. There was a time when her smiling visage decorated many urinals on US military bases.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I guess this doesn't apply to urinals...but if a man uses a toilet there should never be pee on the floor since guys have always told me that the water was cold and deep....
Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

You guys are just killing me here. My face hurts from laughing.
I am naturally a curious person, but I never figured I would want to know about stuff like this.
But then again, I do consider this forum to be my daily "classroom" learning experience. I've lived a sheltered life...yeah right!

Carry on, men.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The best urinals I've seen stick out about 18" from the wall and you actually straddle them. Even the dribblers are "covered".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hook that up to a tiny generator and you could be making some electricity--someone should patent this green technology and then apply for some gumint money.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote