Family photo

It is a stagecoach and I'd say you were at Wild West city or one those parks that stage old west gunfights for kids.
I don't know what it was doing there but it is parked next to a friend of the family's house (their kid is on the right). Yes, there was a rich area not too far from where I grew up.

My great grandmother and her three sisters, probably taken in the 1910s. Great Grandma is second from the left.

Cook%20Sisters.jpg

You played with dolls? :eek:

Just kidding....:flowers:
I was a stuffed animal aficionado myself. Still am. I'm drooling over the teddy bear in the pic. :D

They gave me dolls; I really wanted to hold the cat.

Oh, Khan you were adorable! :)

Y'all must have been wealthy too because you had a doll....at age 8 I had a stick....:D

That was an old rental house near the end of a dirt road in the woods in upstate NY. Went hunting/gathering in the surrounding woods (with the owners/neighbors permission); we also raised chickens. I also was lent out to help harvest fruits/vegetables.

Origin of pictures

Mother died in '03, sister inherited a trunk full of papers and pictures, gave them to her daughter (my niece) who has been going through and posting them. She also is second hand possessor of a box of papers and pictures from when Mother's sister died a few years earlier.

Someday all memories of my existence will be a box (or thumb drive) sent to someone who barely remembers me.

That was an old rental house near the end of a dirt road in the woods in upstate NY. Went hunting/gathering in the surrounding woods (with the owners/neighbors permission); we also raised chickens. I also was lent out to help harvest fruits/vegetables.
By gosh....you deserved that doll!

When I was a kid, perhaps 10 or 11, my dad went through an old album of photos (some tin types) and told me about his family. That was the only time I ever saw that album until after my mother's death (over 40 years later). I now have that album and I nearly cry every time I look at it and realize what I have lost. I don't know any of those people even though they are my ancestors. I'm hoping to take it to a "cousins reunion" someday - before it is too late - and see if any of them might know some of those folks. Word to the wise - never pass up a chance to learn something when the opportunity comes around.

You could afford a stick?
No...it was part of stolen property...a rock was included in the booty as well. My life of crime began early...actually long before I was 8..... Here I am with a rock....:flowers:

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6
When I was a kid, perhaps 10 or 11, my dad went through an old album of photos (some tin types) and told me about his family. That was the only time I ever saw that album until after my mother's death (over 40 years later). I now have that album and I nearly cry every time I look at it and realize what I have lost. I don't know any of those people even though they are my ancestors. I'm hoping to take it to a "cousins reunion" someday - before it is too late - and see if any of them might know some of those folks. Word to the wise - never pass up a chance to learn something when the opportunity comes around.

From what I can gather, Mother went through the photos at some point in her later years and put notations on the back.

Mother died in '03, sister inherited a trunk full of papers and pictures, gave them to her daughter (my niece) who has been going through and posting them. She also is second hand possessor of a box of papers and pictures from when Mother's sister died a few years earlier.

Someday all memories of my existence will be a box (or thumb drive) sent to someone who barely remembers me.

As a person without children I think of that sometimes. But then again, even if you have children the memory of you disappear in a couple of generations anyway. Not to be too maudlin. :blush:

Khan, you and your siblings(?) looked so much like me and mine, even the car is similar.

This is my great-grandfather (far left) who owned a free lunch bar in Chicago at the turn of the last century. I don't know where or when this was taken but it came with a letter from his son saying that the woman on the porch is probably his daughter, my aunt. A friend said, "wouldn't you know it, he's bringing only enough beer for the men."

Attachments

• IMG_NEW.jpg
    IMG_NEW.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 13
Mother's mother

3466780822_1e95d13652_m.jpg

Have know idea of when or where or who is who.

Reactions: W2R

Most of us--the not-famous--will disappear that way one day. On my account only, that doesn't bother me personally at all. On account of my parents, among "the greatest generation," it does. My wife and I are the children of heroes, as many of you are. It is my job to see that our kids remember them.

Ah... Keep them coming... :)

Back
Top Bottom