Fastest you've ever gone in a CAR

Glad to see I'm not the only crazy person in the forum.

The fastest while driving was 140-145 in my 88 Mustang GT. That was back in the days when speedometers used to max out at 85 so I had to use the tach to figure out the speed. It was weird to see the needle buried down in the odometer and coming back around toward 0.
120 or so in a 1977 Plymouth Fury.
I started out driving our old 76 Dodges, fast cars but bench seats in the front meant you slid over into your partner's lap when taking hard turns. When I finally had enough seniority to have a regularly assigned car it was a 1979 Chrysler that was a year or two old. It was beat all to hell, but it had tremendous acceleration.

First chase in that car was one that had already gone through three divisions before it got to us, so we were tail end charlie. Doing about 110, I felt that car had more to give, so I moved over into a clear lane and stepped on it. It took off like a bullet. We passed about twenty police cars in a flash and the next thing I know some supervisor is screaming over the radio "do not ram the suspect!". I was thinking,"who the hell is he talking to?", when I realized I was neck and neck with the bad guy. We were doing about 125 and it seemed like it was just getting wound up good when I had to back off.

I loved that car.

183---1980'S High School Reunion--met up with my best buddie who had a trashed out 1967 Corvette with a big, big motor and he took me for a fast spin---bet it only really got up to around 160--man was I glad to get out of that heap--scared me to death. Early 1960's Mom and us four kids were coming home from 16 hours at the State Fair 80 miles away. My brother cajoled my Mom into getting our 57 Buick over 100---I think she was just burned out from the day and trying to get home as soon as possible.

140+:cool: My buddy's hot-rod Camaro. We had just finished the bodywork on the fender flares and put new Mickey Thompson's all around. I was driving. That was as high as the speedo went- and we had it buried for probably 5 minutes. 19 years old, on a beer run -slight downhill, coming back from KS to MO on I-435 with about 10 cases of Coors in the trunk... it all started at about 80-90mph when a guy in a Charger tried to pass us.....:whistle:

This had the potential to go wrong in a lot of different ways, but it was a warm summer night, we were 19- young and dumb and going to live forever......and there were half-drunk college girls at the party waiting for us to get back with that beer..:nonono:

I've got a grin on my face just typing this...:D

Good thread, thefed.

My car is so slow I have to clean bugs off the rear window. :whistle: I was gonna take it through a 1/4 mile pass once, but figured I'd have to make a potty stop before I got to the other end. :blush:

My car is so slow I have to clean bugs off the rear window. :whistle: I was gonna take it through a 1/4 mile pass once, but figured I'd have to make a potty stop before I got to the other end. :blush:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:.........eh heh........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was a passenger in a car going over 140. I was on a first (and last) date with a guy who was in the Special Forces and had souped up his car. He had been out of the country and this was his first chance to 'really let 'er run!' I was scared to death but I was a teenager and trying to be cool. We were on our way to the movies. I can't remember what kind of car it was only that it was an older car that had the lap seat belts.

Me driving...100 mph in my Mom's 1969 Mustang. Front end start vibrating so I had to back off. Bummer. I had to let the guy in the Chevy Nova (who challenged me in the first place ;)) go ahead and pass me by.
LH driving on the Autobahn in Germany...he wouldn't tell me. :LOL:

about 120 in a tricked out Capri late at night on a freeway.

Let me see if I can remember all the car modifications:

Holly 4 barrel carb
Edelbrock manifold
Dual exhaust
and.....
stripped out all smog equipment (before the smog laws were in effect)

I loved that car. I had to give it up when Cali enacted the smog laws. There was no way it was going to pass the certification - especially with the smog gear removed!

95 in a Rambler American, back in 1958 (I was 17). Four cylinders, & unbalanced tires. Thought the car was gonna shake itself to pieces. Later, found out that the Silver Strand in San Diego was supposed to be swarming with speed cops, looking out for young fools doing just that -- don't know how they missed me.

Later, doing about 135 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, in a semi-stolen (I found out later) sports car, on a bet.

Never, never, ever again ... but see the thread for motorcycles.

125 or so. I remember the engine sputtering on and off as the electronic speed governor kicked in. One time only when I was young, and I don't feel the need to ever do it again.

I want to see a scatter diagram of top speed versus AA. Seems to be a lot more risk going on here than in any portfolio I've heard mentioned. Some of you cash hoarders, I'm surprised you would even get in a "horseless carriage". ;)

-ERD50

Not exactly sure it's kind of a blur,

Remember 120+ in a friends trans am
Remember over 100 listening to "life in the fast lane" after the driver got his eyes covered from the backseat passenger some of the people in the car got nevous.
Think I had a friends porsche 130+
Never really cared for the top end out of control thing always liked quick take offs and tight corners.

I want to see a scatter diagram of top speed versus AA. Seems to be a lot more risk going on here than in any portfolio I've heard mentioned. Some of you cash hoarders, I'm surprised you would even get in a "horseless carriage". ;)

-ERD50
Well sonny, I was a young whippersnapper back in the day...now I'm just a withered up, old crow ......
sFun_oldguy.gif
....(sans the beard) ;)

Well sonny, I was a young whippersnapper back in the day...now I'm just a withered up, old crow ......
sFun_oldguy.gif
....(sans the beard) ;)

Yep, if we had any money to invest back then we would have been leveraged to the hilt!

Pedal to the Metal!

-ERD50

Well, my curiosity got the best of me. Foolish, but exhilerating. Took the Lexus on an open stretch....got it to 100 where most of my cars would fall flat on their face, usually taking another 10 seconds to get to 110. WELL, this thing kicked DOWN a gear and hauled ass up to 120...then somehow kicked down AGAIN and took me oh-so-smoothly to 145 before I looked and realized...OH SH!T, i'm going 145!!, then I slowly coasted back to reality.

Never again

-ERD50

I was thinking the same thing. There is some serious disconnect going on here. I get all the risk I need with my money. If I could I would drive an M1 Abrams in the slow lane.

Ha

I was thinking the same thing. There is some serious disconnect going on here. I get all the risk I need with my money. If I could I would drive an M1 Abrams in the slow lane.

Ha

Either I-45 to Houston, or I-35 to Austin, pretty much requires one to drive 80+, just to keep up...

There was a point in time where I regularly went over 100 mph commuting to and from work. At top, I probably got up to 120 or so. I finally slowed down after I got nabbed going 92 in a 55 zone (I had been going faster but saw the trooper a second or so before the radar got me), which led to a court appearance and a trip to remedial drivers' education class. I rarely go over 65 mph any more, even in the Z3.

Either I-45 to Houston, or I-35 to Austin, pretty much requires one to drive 80+, just to keep up...

I believe the speed limit on I-45 near Houston has been reduced to 55mph. Many people may be going 80+ but I wouldn't. I'd go around 57. If you want to go 80+ you'll have to go around me. No one is required to go 80+ in a 55mph zone or even a 70mph zone like that area used to be.
There's no reason to keep up with the Joneses including on the road.

I believe the speed limit on I-45 near Houston has been reduced to 55mph. Many people may be going 80+ but I wouldn't. I'd go around 57. If you want to go 80+ you'll have to go around me. No one is required to go 80+ in a 55mph zone or even a 70mph zone like that area used to be.
There's no reason to keep up with the Joneses including on the road.

Maybe I should have said "to keep from getting run over"... :LOL:

I'm usually at or near the speed limit in congested areas, or when just traveling across town. But, for instance, when I visit the old hometown in Indiana, driving 80 v. driving 70 shaves a couple of hours off a really long drive. Lots of nothing between here and there..

I try to go no more than 9 mph faster than the posted speed limit. This sometimes leads to being (metaphorically!) spun like a top by the other commuters doing 75 mph+ all around me.

My 2 encounters with real speed were in a 1986 Toyota MR2 (Mark 1, for those who may recall this tiny sports car with the big spoiler that looked like a handle to pick it up with). First time was in Freebird's East Nowhere territory. Newlyweds, Mr. Amethyst and I were on our way to Watkins Glen, when he was tempted by the extremely deserted, straight road to push the MR2 up above 100 mph. Would have kept it there, too, except I got nervous about cops, and begged him to slow down. The car, for its part, never sounded happier.

The next year, my first anniversary present was a 2-day performance driving course at Pocono Race Track. I got to drive the MR2 at over 90 mph, but we were only allowed to use half the track because the other half was in disrepair. If I could've gone all the way around the track I would have gone faster.

Back
Top Bottom