Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well sonny, I was a young whippersnapper back in the day...now I'm just a withered up, old crow ..........(sans the beard)
Yep, if we had any money to invest back then we would have been leveraged to the hilt!

Pedal to the Metal!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, my curiosity got the best of me. Foolish, but exhilerating. Took the Lexus on an open stretch....got it to 100 where most of my cars would fall flat on their face, usually taking another 10 seconds to get to 110. WELL, this thing kicked DOWN a gear and hauled ass up to 120...then somehow kicked down AGAIN and took me oh-so-smoothly to 145 before I looked and realized...OH SH!T, i'm going 145!!, then I slowly coasted back to reality.

Never again
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I want to see a scatter diagram of top speed versus AA. Seems to be a lot more risk going on here than in any portfolio I've heard mentioned. Some of you cash hoarders, I'm surprised you would even get in a "horseless carriage".

-ERD50
I was thinking the same thing. There is some serious disconnect going on here. I get all the risk I need with my money. If I could I would drive an M1 Abrams in the slow lane.

Ha
Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I need one of the those - are they eligible under the Cash for Clunkers program?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I was thinking the same thing. There is some serious disconnect going on here. I get all the risk I need with my money. If I could I would drive an M1 Abrams in the slow lane.

Ha
Either I-45 to Houston, or I-35 to Austin, pretty much requires one to drive 80+, just to keep up...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #46
Administrator

There was a point in time where I regularly went over 100 mph commuting to and from work. At top, I probably got up to 120 or so. I finally slowed down after I got nabbed going 92 in a 55 zone (I had been going faster but saw the trooper a second or so before the radar got me), which led to a court appearance and a trip to remedial drivers' education class. I rarely go over 65 mph any more, even in the Z3.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I rarely go over 65 mph any more, even in the Z3.
but ya gotta admit, getting there in a few seconds on the on ramp, shifting at the redline is a helluva lot of fun in a Z3...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Either I-45 to Houston, or I-35 to Austin, pretty much requires one to drive 80+, just to keep up...
I believe the speed limit on I-45 near Houston has been reduced to 55mph. Many people may be going 80+ but I wouldn't. I'd go around 57. If you want to go 80+ you'll have to go around me. No one is required to go 80+ in a 55mph zone or even a 70mph zone like that area used to be.
There's no reason to keep up with the Joneses including on the road.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I believe the speed limit on I-45 near Houston has been reduced to 55mph. Many people may be going 80+ but I wouldn't. I'd go around 57. If you want to go 80+ you'll have to go around me. No one is required to go 80+ in a 55mph zone or even a 70mph zone like that area used to be.
There's no reason to keep up with the Joneses including on the road.
Maybe I should have said "to keep from getting run over"...

I'm usually at or near the speed limit in congested areas, or when just traveling across town. But, for instance, when I visit the old hometown in Indiana, driving 80 v. driving 70 shaves a couple of hours off a really long drive. Lots of nothing between here and there..

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I try to go no more than 9 mph faster than the posted speed limit. This sometimes leads to being (metaphorically!) spun like a top by the other commuters doing 75 mph+ all around me.

My 2 encounters with real speed were in a 1986 Toyota MR2 (Mark 1, for those who may recall this tiny sports car with the big spoiler that looked like a handle to pick it up with). First time was in Freebird's East Nowhere territory. Newlyweds, Mr. Amethyst and I were on our way to Watkins Glen, when he was tempted by the extremely deserted, straight road to push the MR2 up above 100 mph. Would have kept it there, too, except I got nervous about cops, and begged him to slow down. The car, for its part, never sounded happier.

The next year, my first anniversary present was a 2-day performance driving course at Pocono Race Track. I got to drive the MR2 at over 90 mph, but we were only allowed to use half the track because the other half was in disrepair. If I could've gone all the way around the track I would have gone faster.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My mint condition 1990 Q45 Infiniti reached over 160. It did have the speed rated tires for this. I sold it before I would get in trouble driving it. At 160, it felt like 70 in any other car I drove. The speedometer went to 180 MPH.

All I can say of the experience was WOW! Prior to that is 120 in a 65 Ford Custom 500.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #52

It's not how fast you go but how fast you get from point A to point B. Nothing like pulling the front wheels off the ground during a hole shot while drag racing. 11.3 Sec in the 1/4 mile with 8 in M&H's at 128MPH in my 67 Chevelle with a 427 L88 by S&K on Long Island. All at NY National Speedway. That was a long time ago but I'll never forget.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #53
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
85 in my MG across Tennessee.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

About 150mph on the autobahn when i was renting mercedes or audis for my commute. zoom zoom zoom
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

About 120-130 for me on the autobahn in a BMW. It wasnt a very fast car, I had my foot all the way down on the accelerator and we were going downhill heh.
RDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #56

135-140 in a Mustang SVO. Down a huge hill, coming off the mountains in VT on rt 89.

Used to hit 110 easy in my old Bimmer. 70 to 110 was just a press of the accelerator away!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote