favorite boxing movie

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The movie "Ali" was on the ION channel the other day and I DVR'd it. Have only watched about the first half hour of it where they reenact the first Clay v Liston fight. Will Smith earned a nomination in his portrayal. He has Ali's speaking down pat (though no one could float like a butterfly like him).

So of all the boxing movies, which is your favorite?

Mine probably is Paul Newman in "Somebody Up There Likes Me". About Rocky Graziano.

I really liked 'The Fighter' with Wahlberg and Bales. I went to school in Lowell MA the same time Micky Ward was fighting so it was fun reliving the old days. Thought they did a great job recreating the atmosphere of that time period.

Robert De Niro and Ranging Bull is also a classic.

Last edited:
"Raging Bull" with Robert DeNiro. I believe DeNiro started the character acting trend by gaining 60lbs for parts of the movie.

I haven't seen "Cinderella Man" with Russel Crowe (not that big of a fan of him). But I heard that is a very good boxing movie. I am a fan of Opie (Ron Howard) movies.

Last edited:
I haven't seen "Cinderella Man" with Russel Crowe (not that big of a fan of him). But I heard that is a very good boxing movie. I am a fan of Opie (Ron Howard) movies.

Cinderella Man was okay. Crowe is a believable boxer and as a Torontonian, it was funny seeing some of the old buildings here filling in for Depression era Manhattan.

I highly recommend the documentary "When We Kings" about the Rumble in the Jungle. Makes you remember than George Foreman wasn't always a cuddly grill salesman.

Diggstown anyone ? More of a caper movie than boxing but it was funny and I like James Woods.

I personally didn't like Million Dollar Baby. Eastwood and Freeman were of course great and so was she, up to a point (sorry, can't remember the actresses name) But the ending was pathetic.

Yes, I am a boxing fan.... lol

Cinderella Man was okay. Crowe is a believable boxer and as a Torontonian, it was funny seeing some of the old buildings here filling in for Depression era Manhattan.

I highly recommend the documentary "When We Kings" about the Rumble in the Jungle. Makes you remember than George Foreman wasn't always a cuddly grill salesman.

Diggstown anyone ? More of a caper movie than boxing but it was funny and I like James Woods.

I personally didn't like Million Dollar Baby. Eastwood and Freeman were of course great and so was she, up to a point (sorry, can't remember the actresses name) But the ending was pathetic.

Yes, I am a boxing fan.... lol

I love "When We Were Kings." That was originally supposed to be a documentary of a James Brown concert but ending up about the Rumble. Ali was mainly featured. (I get the same thought about Foreman who was like this Beast, before his transformation to the giant teddybear).

I wish they would do a documovie about the great age of middleweights too. Leonard/Hagler/Hearns/Duran. My favourite boxer growing up was definately Marvin the Hitman. Ferocious and just there to get the job done professionalism.

Can anyone tell me if The Hurricane is worth watching ? The story is incredible but I am assuredly not a fan of Denzel.

Geez... Marvelous Marvin... I gotta stop writing these posts between phone calls... ha ha

If fictional vs bio counts, the original Rocky. When that first aired in the theaters, I remember the audiance on their feet yelling during some of those fight scenes.

I really liked 'The Fighter' with Wahlberg and Bales. I went to school in Lowell MA the same time Micky Ward was fighting so it was fun reliving the old days. Thought they did a great job recreating the atmosphere of that time period.

I also liked The Fighter, but the movie pales in comparison to the actual fights Ward had with Gatti.

Back
Top Bottom