Favorite healthy snack food

I like most fruits when well fermented, aged and then bottled. Many healthful qualities!:angel:

Okay, then. My weakness:

Wasabi Peas

Wasabi Peas are commonly found in bars and at parties, but what you might not know about them is that they actually make a pretty smart, low calorie snack. What I personally love about them is how incredibly spicy and wasabi-y they are (I love Japanese food!). They also have tons of crunch which, as you know, is something I look for. Another great thing about wasabi peas is that they are very difficult to overeat because of their extremely strong wasabi flavor. Not only can you only eat one or two at a time, but they are also *not* the kind of snack where you will accidentally eat the whole bag (the spicyness would make most people sick).

And, according to THE expert, Elvis, with bacon in a sandwich.

Experts advocate EBT? (Elvis, Bacon and Tomato)? Oh, you meant ELVIS was the expert! I thought you were referring to a new kind of cannibal sandwich ;)

(For the uninitiated, a "cannibal sandwich" consists of raw ground sirloin with sliced onions, between 2 slices of rye bread...I have been told it is a Midwestern concoction, but we enjoyed it in Central NJ).

Raw almonds.
Apples.
Sugar snap peas, pod and all. These are great for satisfying the crunchy snack need.
Finally, I make veggie dip out of plain yogurt mixed with the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (instead of mayo and milk). Makes a great, slightly tangy dip with a lot fewer calories. Yum!
And, I can eat an entire bag of those wasabi peas, because I love the hot spicy stuff!

Hmm all good stuff. Wasabi peas! Been awhile since I had those. Ive been fortunate to have my mil share some of her dried apple persimmons.

mercola.com is pure quackery.

Which explains my qualifier. I have noticed that a few have said this but... I would be interested in why you believe that. I am not vouching for the validity of the article but not dismissing it either -- convince me. (Don't put a lot of effort into it, however, I can take it or leave it.)

In any event, I have, since reading the article several years ago, confined my Soy ingestion to the fermented variety -- Soy Sauce, Tamari, and Tofu (scary amounts actually).

Favorite snack: plain, homemade bread (either flat bread or French-style loaf). I snack on it all day long.
raw carrots
banana milk shake (no sugar, skim milk)
yogurt

Which explains my qualifier. I have noticed that a few have said this but... I would be interested in why you believe that. I am not vouching for the validity of the article but not dismissing it either -- convince me. (Don't put a lot of effort into it, however, I can take it or leave it.)

In any event, I have, since reading the article several years ago, confined my Soy ingestion to the fermented variety -- Soy Sauce, Tamari, and Tofu (scary amounts actually).

Im obviously no expert. However, the one Dr Enig who did the study comes up in Wikipedia. You can value how accurate the information is on your own. In one section it mentions

"Enig disputes the Lipid hypothesis which argues that consumption of saturated fats contribute to heart disease[18] and claims that big business and other powerful vested interests played a significant role in the negative portrayals of saturated fats. [19]"

To me it raises an eyebrow on her thinking. When most of the studies I read on soy say its an excellent food.

Im just weird in the fact I enjoy the taste of the soy bean :)

Im obviously no expert. However, the one Dr Enig who did the study comes up in Wikipedia. You can value how accurate the information is on your own. In one section it mentions

"Enig disputes the Lipid hypothesis which argues that consumption of saturated fats contribute to heart disease[18] and claims that big business and other powerful vested interests played a significant role in the negative portrayals of saturated fats. [19]"

To me it raises an eyebrow on her thinking. When most of the studies I read on soy say its an excellent food.

Im just weird in the fact I enjoy the taste of the soy bean :)

Yeah, it certainly is confusing. One day coffee is good for youe, next day it is bad. Red Wine/White Wine, etc. Gary Taubes (Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease) is another one that puts forth a compelling argument to what we have been told. (I am unaware of any direct challenges to him, however.)

Some days I think about just giving up and simply waste my time enjoying life.

Yeah, it certainly is confusing. One day coffee is good for youe, next day it is bad. Red Wine/White Wine, etc. Gary Taubes (Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease) is another one that puts forth a compelling argument to what we have been told. (I am unaware of any direct challenges to him, however.)

Some days I think about just giving up and simply waste my time enjoying life.

Yep. Just like my granddad told me moderation is the key.

As far as the soy debate goes, my MIL used to be a hardcore vegan for 20 years and as such her diet depended heavily on soy proteins (soy meat, soy milk, soy ice-cream, soy everything). In the past year she has reverted back to eating fish, dairy products and eggs to reduce her dependency on soy protein after reading that eating too much soy could have adverse effects on her health (can't remember the details). So the "science" must have been compelling enough to make her change her diet after 20 years. Eating a few soy beans here and there is probably just fine though .

She probably read the Mercola report shown above. That's the only negative report I've found so far.

I personally think chocolate, lard and single malt scotch are going to keep me alive until I die.

That's what the chocolate and scotch and lard are for. ;) Crisco isn't good for you.

Yeah...you need to stay away from additives. Pure, natural and homegrown are your best alternatives. But, a little Wessonality never hurts anyone....

I like Edamame too, and these...

Attachments

• clifmojobars.jpg
    clifmojobars.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 101
My favorite healthy snack, currently, is 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, cooked with a few raisins and sliced almonds, with a bit of vanilla and grated nutmeg stirred in after it's cooked. With a tablespoon of brown sugar (50 calories) on top. Total: about 250 calories, and quite filling.

I guess I'm lucky in that I never liked chips and dips much, nor anything fried in fat. (I do like wasabi peas, however!) My downfall is cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, anything in the chocolate family.

My favorite healthy snack, currently, is 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, cooked with a few raisins and sliced almonds, with a bit of vanilla and grated nutmeg stirred in after it's cooked. With a tablespoon of brown sugar (50 calories) on top. Total: about 250 calories, and quite filling.

I guess I'm lucky in that I never liked chips and dips much, nor anything fried in fat. (I do like wasabi peas, however!) My downfall is cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, anything in the chocolate family.

Just the opposite of me. I could scarf down a plate of nachos in no time. But sweet things I can take it or leave it. Just mentioning nachos made me hungry :nonono:

Ever think about this: the food pyramid and NUTRITION FACTS labels are brought to you not by the Department of Health and Human Services, but by the Department of Agriculture?

Their primary focus is not our health. This is what they want to do:

"We want to be recognized as a dynamic organization that is able to efficiently provide the integrated program delivery needed to lead a rapidly evolving food and agriculture system. "

Ever think about this: the food pyramid and NUTRITION FACTS labels are brought to you not by the Department of Health and Human Services, but by the Department of Agriculture?

Their primary focus is not our health. This is what they want to do:

"We want to be recognized as a dynamic organization that is able to efficiently provide the integrated program delivery needed to lead a rapidly evolving food and agriculture system. "

This is one of the main tenets of Gay Taubes' book I mentioned earlier. I am in a campground south of Amarillo, Texas right now so don't have my research available to give exact quotes. In any event, it echos what you cite.

Just had a bunch of homemade guacemole (avocado, garlic, onion, lime, tomato), with some of those organic, low-sodium blue corn chips. Yum, great stuff. Maybe not the healthiest snack possible (because of the chips), but better than some things, and oh-so-tasty.

Nobody worried about kidney stones? Almonds are not good for you.

I eat healthy at meals. Between meals is for sweet junk food: brownies, M&Ms, milk chocolate, etc.

Frozen cherries are a household staple - they grow locally, we pit and freeze each year.

I love corn tortillas toasted in toaster oven (dry) with homemade salsa.

Rye pretzels w/ IPA

Back
Top Bottom