Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's what the chocolate and scotch and lard are for. Crisco isn't good for you.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Yeah...you need to stay away from additives. Pure, natural and homegrown are your best alternatives. But, a little Wessonality never hurts anyone....
Old 03-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I like Edamame too, and these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clifmojobars.jpg (36.9 KB, 101 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

My favorite healthy snack, currently, is 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, cooked with a few raisins and sliced almonds, with a bit of vanilla and grated nutmeg stirred in after it's cooked. With a tablespoon of brown sugar (50 calories) on top. Total: about 250 calories, and quite filling.

I guess I'm lucky in that I never liked chips and dips much, nor anything fried in fat. (I do like wasabi peas, however!) My downfall is cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, anything in the chocolate family.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
My favorite healthy snack, currently, is 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, cooked with a few raisins and sliced almonds, with a bit of vanilla and grated nutmeg stirred in after it's cooked. With a tablespoon of brown sugar (50 calories) on top. Total: about 250 calories, and quite filling.

I guess I'm lucky in that I never liked chips and dips much, nor anything fried in fat. (I do like wasabi peas, however!) My downfall is cookies, candy, cake, ice cream, anything in the chocolate family.
Just the opposite of me. I could scarf down a plate of nachos in no time. But sweet things I can take it or leave it. Just mentioning nachos made me hungry
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Ever think about this: the food pyramid and NUTRITION FACTS labels are brought to you not by the Department of Health and Human Services, but by the Department of Agriculture?

Their primary focus is not our health. This is what they want to do:

"We want to be recognized as a dynamic organization that is able to efficiently provide the integrated program delivery needed to lead a rapidly evolving food and agriculture system. "
Old 03-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ever think about this: the food pyramid and NUTRITION FACTS labels are brought to you not by the Department of Health and Human Services, but by the Department of Agriculture?

Their primary focus is not our health. This is what they want to do:

"We want to be recognized as a dynamic organization that is able to efficiently provide the integrated program delivery needed to lead a rapidly evolving food and agriculture system. "
This is one of the main tenets of Gay Taubes' book I mentioned earlier. I am in a campground south of Amarillo, Texas right now so don't have my research available to give exact quotes. In any event, it echos what you cite.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #48

Just had a bunch of homemade guacemole (avocado, garlic, onion, lime, tomato), with some of those organic, low-sodium blue corn chips. Yum, great stuff. Maybe not the healthiest snack possible (because of the chips), but better than some things, and oh-so-tasty.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Nobody worried about kidney stones? Almonds are not good for you.

I eat healthy at meals. Between meals is for sweet junk food: brownies, M&Ms, milk chocolate, etc.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #50
Administrator

Frozen cherries are a household staple - they grow locally, we pit and freeze each year.

I love corn tortillas toasted in toaster oven (dry) with homemade salsa.

Rye pretzels w/ IPA
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
As far as the soy debate goes, my MIL used to be a hardcore vegan for 20 years and as such her diet depended heavily on soy proteins (soy meat, soy milk, soy ice-cream, soy everything). In the past year she has reverted back to eating fish, dairy products and eggs to reduce her dependency on soy protein after reading that eating too much soy could have adverse effects on her health (can't remember the details). So the "science" must have been compelling enough to make her change her diet after 20 years. Eating a few soy beans here and there is probably just fine though .
No, all this shows is something well known to cognitive scientists: it is often much harder to dislodge a meme complex from a human host than a single meme. If we oversimplify the nutrition-related meme complex to just two memes:
1) It is necessary for humans to consume meat & dairy products to enjoy optimal health, and
2) Humans who consume a sufficiently varied plant-based diet (and sufficient calories) are nevertheless at risk for protein deficiency.

Your MIL rejected the first meme, but not the second. Her failure to reject the second meme led her to re-accept the first meme. This is a textbook example of a meme complex in action.

Thomas Jefferson famously predicted that within 50 years of his time of writing everyone in the U.S. would be Unitarian. He failed to properly gauge how difficult it is to dislodge religious meme complexes from the minds of humans - there are so many memes that need to be rejected at once that many people are simply incapable of making the leap.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #52

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a recent snack food discovery: do-it-yourself roasted peanuts. I decided to try roasting myself after purchasing a bag of funny-tasting roasted peanuts.

If you search the web, you'll find the recommended approach is 350F for around 20 minutes. This didn't work for me. However, 250F for an hour worked great! Just spread the raw peanuts (in shells) on a baking tray, and stick it in the oven.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I can think of one other thing, but I won't mention it here.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This is one of the main tenets of Gay Taubes' book I mentioned earlier. I am in a campground south of Amarillo, Texas right now so don't have my research available to give exact quotes. In any event, it echos what you cite.
I recently read the book (tedious to read, but interesting). I find most of his hypothesis to be plausible based on my experience in various research institutions. That is, the current national dietary recommendations and the processes by which these recommendations are made are seriously flawed. The low carb diets and hypotheses need further study, but for now they have a supportive body of research which makes them at least as credible as the standard low fat, low calorie strategies.

But back to snacks: frozen sliced bananas are great, and you can use slightly over-ripe bananas without ruining them -- better than throwing the over-ripe ones out.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I usually have an apple at night for a snack. For a snack on the golf course, I usually have one of these or something similar.

Product: Oat Snacks - Quaker Chewy 90 Calorie Granola Bars, Chocolate Chunk | QuakerOats.com
Old 03-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I didn't know those came in a can.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

A favorite healthy snack: Lots of air-popped popcorn, sprinkled with tamari (or soy sauce) and dusted with nutritional yeast. It doesn't look so great, but I think it tastes yummy.
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #58

We have a Japanese friend who comes to visit every once in awhile. One time they brought us this snack food that comes in little balls. I looked it up they are seaweed fish crackers. Lol..they taste like fish alright. The most horrible things Ive ever eaten. Kinda funny they eat them up with a big smile.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I didn't know those came in a can.
Med's baby. Not a snack. Meds.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Salted & roasted sunflower seeds or raw almonds seem to pair well with my favorite hops flavored beverages in the evening. (I have had trouble finding other good food sources of Vitamin E in my diet. The beer has a fair share of B's.)

I have recently started eating raw radishes again. I get out of the habit and forget how much I enjoy those little spicy, crunchy globes.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote