Favorite historically inspired songs

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We've had 'Favorite everything else' so how about favorite historically inspired songs:

Done With Bonaparte

In order to have a "favorite historically inspired song", I have to know at least one historically inspired song.

Lemme think... Lemme think... But don't hold your breath while I think.

U2 Bloody Sunday
Deep Purple Smoke on the Water

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot

Video with lyrics............

Ok. How 'bout the theme song of the movie "The Longest Day" about the Normandy D-Day landings? It's the only song I can think of at the moment.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (always liked Joan Baez' version more than the Band's).

Also I guess you could count Snoopy and the Red Baron, a 60's nugget by the Royal Guardsmen

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (always liked Joan Baez' version more than the Band's).

Also I guess you could count Snoopy and the Red Baron, a 60's nugget by the Royal Guardsmen

To OP, great idea for a thread. Before I saw this quoted post, a favorite song of mine by The Band came to mind, and it is sort of connected "Acadian Driftwood":

From wiki:

The song is a portrayal of the troubled history of Nova Scotia and Acadia. Specifically, it is about the Expulsion of the Acadians during the rivalry between the French and the British over what is now Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and most of Maine.[1]

Robertson's lyrics were influenced by Longfellow's poem Evangeline, which describes the deportation of Acadians.[1] On The Band's recording of the song, the lead vocal is traded on the verses between Richard Manuel, Levon Helm, and Rick Danko, with all three singers harmonizing on the choruses. Instrumentally, the recording is noted for its overdubbed fiddle playing by Byron Berline.[1]

Robertson took poetic license with the historical record. The deportations happened prior to a formal "war," so "the war" was not "over". The Expulsion began immediately after the British victory in the Battle of Fort Beauséjour (1755) in present-day New Brunswick and not after "What went down on the Plains of Abraham" (1759) in Quebec. The deportations ended when the war ended, with the signing of the Treaty of Paris (1763).

AllMusic critic Rob Bowman described "Acadian Driftwood" as "a slightly more complex and ambitious (and successful) down-north analog to "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down."[2]

RE: "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." - it's funny you say you like the Joan Baez version better. Hers was the version I was familiar with and I loved it, and when I caught up with The Band original, my reactions was - "geez, could they drag that song out any slower, yawn.." Then upon repeated listening, the magic came through - so much emotion, you could feel the pain. After that, the Baez version sounded "sing-songy" to me, and I I just thought it was wrong to treat such a heavy song so lightly. Just one man's take on it.

I keep forgetting that is Byron Berline on fiddle, I saw him in a smallish club in the 70's, fantastic.

More lyrics here:

https://genius.com/The-band-acadian-driftwood-lyrics

They signed a treaty
And our homes were taken
Loved-ones forsaken
They didn't give a damn
Try to raise a family
End up an enemy
Over what went down on the Plains of Abraham

Fifty under zero when the day became a threat
My clothes were wet
And I was drenched to the bone
Then out ice fishin', mmm
Too much repetition
Make a man want to leave
The only home he's known

We had kin livin'
South of the border
They're a little older
And they been around
They wrote in a letter
Life is a whole lot better
So pull up your stakes, children
And come on down

Everlastin' summer
Filled with ill-contempt
This government
Had us walkin' in chains
This isn't my turn
This isn't my season
Can't think of one good reason
To remain oh....

'Curses, foiled again'! I actually had that single (45)! Hmmm, flip side was... "I Needed You" - had to look that up, don't recall at all.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Buffalo Springfield - For What it's Worth about the 1966 Sunset Strip riots.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Ohio about the 1970 Kent State shootings.

The Cranberries - Zombie about a 1993 IRA bombing in Warrington.

Last edited:
About a specific event, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

There are many songs about various experiences, the history of the songwriter if you will. Lots of Springsteen is like that, such as Jungleland. Similarly, Hotel California (Eagles), or for history spanning centuries The Last Resort.

I remember this... written and sung here in 1917 WWI, but every person in the US from 1940 'til 1945 including all kids over age 3 knew and sang the English words. Just as popular as "God Bless America" at the time.

and this one too.... Anyone remember? From a Walt Disney WWII war propaganda short film.

Last edited:
Buffalo Springfield - For What it's Worth about the 1966 Sunset Strip riots.

This one is interesting, because a lot people just assume it is about the much bigger conflicts of the 60's, and not just about a curfew aimed at "whiskey a go go".

Some good ones, especially Edmund Fitzgerald.

I really like this one:

A few years ago I found a site that dissected the song and matched it to the history of Operation Barbarossa and the war on the Russian Front. Very sad as the narrator is sent to Siberia in the end because of being captured by the Germans. Apparently Stalin didn't trust anyone who had been captured so they were sent to Siberian camps.

Last edited:
Nice version of The Ghost of Tom Joad with a little Arlo Guthrie mixed in....

Back
Top Bottom