Favorite songs from the last decade

As a big Bob James fan, (his was one of the first jazz concerts I attended), I am enjoying his recent collaboration with Sax player Tom Braxton:

Oh, and by the way, I recently ran into a series of YouTube videos with essentially the format of:

Here are a couple young people discovering OLD music.

They should have one with a couple of old people discovering NEW music, LOL. THAT would be rare.... ;-)

Just took a look at a billboard top list of the decade and a few names stood out. Three artists that I listen to are Adele, Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran. Not sure I can name a favorite, but I definitely like new music. Lately, I found the Chill station on SiriusXM (channel 53).

The Decemberists make me think of Arcade Fire. Haven't heard much from them lately -- I hope they publish some new music soon.

I agree! Maybe educate some old people about the difference between "rap" and "hip-hop." Which most people over 50 probably think are identical.

They should have one with a couple of old people discovering NEW music, LOL. THAT would be rare.... ;-)

I agree! Maybe educate some old people about the difference between "rap" and "hip-hop." Which most people over 50 probably think are identical.

I guess it just sounds like it's the same - before I can change the station.:facepalm:

As a big Bob James fan, (his was one of the first jazz concerts I attended), I am enjoying his recent collaboration with Sax player Tom Braxton:

Nice to hear Bob James still doing good stuff!

I'm partial to Sara Bareilles also, Midpack. This is my favorite laundry-folding song:
Armor

Actually not bad (high praise from me, considering the era) Liked that reference to "Don't sit under the apple tree". You can keep the video, though.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Often I don't learn about music until Weird Al parodies it. I discovered that I really enjoy Happy:

And this is what Weird Al did with it. It's all done in a single take, and crammed with cameos.

DH and I were laughing at this a few nights ago. Leaving aside the lyrics and video, the music alone is really impressive.

Four 2010's songs I like below.

+1 on the reaction videos. My favorite for variety, humor and smart commentary from a listening perspective very different than my own is Lost in Vegas.

I have also watched quite a few of the reaction channels featuring the youngsters reacting to songs from the older generation. But lately I've found myself coming back to professionals who include their reaction to the composition, singing style or playing techniques - of which I know very little. Rick Beato (a music producer) and Michael Palmisano (a guitar teacher) are two good ones.

Newer songs / modern artists that I've found in the last few years (you'll see I don't stick to one genre):

These are two sisters with a bluegrass background who have evolved into their own independent style. This is an original, but also check out the dozens of acoustic "quarantine" covers they have recorded in the last year.

I've been a rock and blues fan from the start, but never metal. Discovering Tool, whose fans went nuts in 2019 when they released their first album in 13 years, was a real treat. Every song hits hard, yet is complex and interesting.

My favorite modern Blues artist at the moment:

Most of the newer Country artists I've discovered and like are male (Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Colter Wall). A fine exception:

Any fans of Simon and Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence should check out the remake by Disturbed. Such a powerful song.

Gotta love Pharrell Williams. He's great.

I've posted tracks by Robbie Fulks before. Here's another one.

I first heard this song as the intro for a grim, grim British TV police drama called Happy Valley.

Any fans of Simon and Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence should check out the remake by Disturbed. Such a powerful song.

+1!
Simon & Garfunkel's original was a great song, but the lyrics are so dark that once you hear David Draiman's (Disturbed) version it makes the Simon & Garfunkel version seem almost cheerful in comparison.

While not their newest endeavor, I really like "Trouble" by Five Finger Death Punch.

Also, "Red Cold River" by Breaking Benjamin. Another powerful song and absolutely incredible live. The video, however, is too disturbing for this site.

(+1 Already mentioned ) Lake Street Dive - Rachel Price (lead singer) great voice. Saw them in concert in 2019 :

Last edited:
Anything by Adele:
Rollin in the Deep....

Hello...

Anything by Lindsey Stirling:
Gavi's Song...

Anything by Lady Gaga:
Edge of Glory...

I like older Madonna better than new Madonna but still some good stuff, here's one:
Superstar....

Brian King Joseph, here he is on America's Got Talent..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdqMf648y6M

Amazing talent, all of them.

I do have a special affinity for the "one-take", no cut video process - best exemplified by Weird Al's video. (I do think there was just a bit of video magic involved, but I'll let that slide because it was done so seamlessly.) I think back to movies where such things happened and it was done on film. Perhaps one of the best was the opening scene of TOUCH OF EVIL.

Truly stunning for the time. Now returning you to our regularly scheduled thread as YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom