Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's the story why Cioppino is my fondest dish.

I had it the first time in 1980, in our honeymoon trip. We were at the Seattle Space Needle Restaurant having lunch. I did not know what the dish was, but the ingredients sounded good on the menu.
I have to admit that I was first exposed to this dish as one of those damn tourists at Fisherman's Wharf. Now, I had previously lived in the Bay Area, so I didn't mind so much playing the tourist a number of years later. But we sat in one of those outdoor areas with all the other tourists. Like you, we thought it sounded good and ordered it unknowingly, and we were delighted with the dish.

I have always cooked; very simple fare when I was young, but I have gotten more and more into it as the years have rolled by.
Out-to-Lunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 12:02 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here's the story why Cioppino is my fondest dish.
I lived in San Francisco for over 30 years. A family tradition was to go to the Tadich Grill for cioppino the day after Thanksgiving.

I make mine with white wine and I like it with a good hit of chili flakes and fennel added with the soffritto.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I lived in San Francisco for over 30 years. A family tradition was to go to the Tadich Grill for cioppino the day after Thanksgiving.

I make mine with white wine and I like it with a good hit of chili flakes and fennel added with the soffritto.

Ah yes, I think fennel would work here to add a brighter note to the dish. And with fennel, I would use white wine, and something not oaky. The trick is how much fennel to use, in order for the flavor to not become dominant. I do not often use fennel, so would have to think of something to use the rest of the bulb. Hmmm... I wonder if I could cheat by using a thimble of fennel seeds.

So many dishes, so many variations... And an old guy can and should eat only so much.

I was also curious about Tadich Grill, and looked it up. Claimed to be the oldest SF restaurant. Sadly, it has been closed due to the pandemic.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

It has been snowing for three days where we live.

Our winter comfort food is different this year- Penang Curry. Not going to get to Thailand this winter so we cook up a batch of our own. Great Asian grocery stores where we leave so we are able to get the proper made in Thailand ingredients.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another hearty dish that I like in cold weather is Hungarian goulash (not to be confused with American goulash). Goulash can be made with beef or pork, and I usually use beef. My children love the goulash I make, and one time I used pork and they did not like it. I normally do not put potatoes in the stew, and serve it over wide noodle. Goulash moped up with warm bread is also crazily good.

Strictly speaking, the beef stew commonly called Hungarian goulash (Web photo shown above) is Pörkölt.

The true Hungarian goulash has more broth and also vegetables such as potatoes and carrots, and is a soup.

Both have lots of paprika, and are good for your tummy on a cold and blustery day.

Photo from the Web:

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Made one of my favorites today, it's quick to make.

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
mild green chiles ( or chopped jalapenos if you like heat)
4 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth
2 14.5oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
15oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
sliced avocado
sour cream
Colby jack shredded cheese
corn tortillas

Heat oil over med/high and saute onion and chiles 5 min. stirring
Add garlic and stir 1-2 min. more
Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice and seasonings. Bring to boil, then lower heat and gently boil 7 min. stirring occasionally.
Add cilantro and boil 1 more minute.

Tortilla Strips
Heat oven to 375 degrees
Brush corn tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut in 1/2" strips and place in single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden about 15-18 minutes.

Serve soup with sour cream, sliced avocado, lime wedge, shredded colby jack cheese and crispy tortilla strips.
lauradrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:14 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Do stout and porter beers count?

Outside of that, just about any beefy stew.
motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Favorite winter comfort foods
Old 11-02-2020, 03:48 AM   #68

Favorite winter comfort foods

Any thick soup-split pea, bean soup, etc. For past few years it’s been pumpkin peanut curry soup, with canellinni beans to thicken. I make my own pumpkin purée for pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. Last year I used butternut squash and it was even better.

I’ve come up with a low carb version of both the pie (pumpkin mousse instead) and the soup.

IMO, any soup served with sour cream is a comfort food to me. My mom made borscht and meat piroshki regularly and both MUST be served with sour cream. I’m half Russian.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:42 AM   #69

Yesterday I made vegetable beef soup and then I made chili for supper. We have good leftovers in the fridge and I can take some to my Mom and sis today.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:43 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Made one of my favorites today, it's quick to make.

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
mild green chiles ( or chopped jalapenos if you like heat)
4 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth
2 14.5oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
15oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
sliced avocado
sour cream
Colby jack shredded cheese
corn tortillas

Heat oil over med/high and saute onion and chiles 5 min. stirring
Add garlic and stir 1-2 min. more
Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice and seasonings. Bring to boil, then lower heat and gently boil 7 min. stirring occasionally.
Add cilantro and boil 1 more minute.

Tortilla Strips
Heat oven to 375 degrees
Brush corn tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut in 1/2" strips and place in single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden about 15-18 minutes.

Serve soup with sour cream, sliced avocado, lime wedge, shredded colby jack cheese and crispy tortilla strips.
This sounds really good!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley View Post
Do stout and porter beers count?

Outside of that, just about any beefy stew.
Why not both?

https://www.recipetineats.com/irish-...guinness-stew/
https://www.food.com/recipe/beef-and-porter-stew-352197

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

Because it is a terrible waste of beer. Assuming it's good beer anyway. If it's cheapie stuff, OK
motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Cassoulet with duck confit. See photo below, linked from the Web.

If winter food is something that will stick to your rib, then cassoulet certainly qualifies.

Now, I have only had it in restaurants, and have not tried to make it although it's not hard. The only real task is to acquire some duck confit, which you can even make yourself, but I have not tried that either. Well, maybe some day...

Old 11-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaof2 View Post
Make a side of cornbread while it simmers and you're well fed for a few days ;-)

From my wife's collection, not mine ;-)

Sausage Bean Chowder serves 10-12
1lb bulk sausage (pork, turkey, mild/hot to your taste)
2 (16oz) cans kidney beans (undrained)
2 (15 1/2oz) cans diced (or finely diced - sometimes marked "petite diced") tomatoes (undrained)
4C water
1 medium onion, chopped (adjust to taste - we like a little less onion)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste - we use very little salt when cooking)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 chopped green pepper (optional)
1 C diced potatoes (increase if you like potatoes or need to stretch the recipe)

In a large pot (there's about 12 cups of "stuff" in that list) cook sausage until brown. Pour off fat. (You may find it easier to cook the sausage - especially if it's the paste-texture turkey sausage - in a large skillet. You will still need the big pot for simmering everything.)
Add kidney beans, tomatoes, water, onion, bay leaves, salt, garlic salt, thyme and pepper to browned sausage.
Simmer covered 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and green pepper. Cook covered 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove bay leaves (and green pepper if bagged) and serve.
We are giving this a shot today! Substituted navy beans for kidney beans because that is what we had. Also added some sautéed fresh mushrooms because we had them and needed to cook them.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #75

I just had my comfort food -- bacon. But it's not quite just a winter comfort food.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Bacon flavored sweet onion dip. I started with this recipe from the food network: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1940409 . I modified it to my taste by using sweet vidalia onions at twice the proportion, and carmelizing the chopped onions in bacon grease instead of olive oil. I also increase the salt/pepper/garlic to my taste. For eating variation I sometimes sprinkle on a packet of True Lime on a serving.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Winter is time for soups, stews and chili in our house. Pork and Tomatillo stew is one of my favorite recipes and we always freeze a few pounds of tomatillos from the garden to make this throughout the winter.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/p...tomatillo-stew

goingtotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Chicken and Dumplings

In the South, we can buy frozen dumplings in the grocery stores which makes it easy.

After cooking two-three chicken breasts in the pressure cooker with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning, I remove and debone the chicken. Then cook the frozen dumplings 45 minutes. Return the chicken and serve. Very easy to cook.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaof2 View Post
Make a side of cornbread while it simmers and you're well fed for a few days ;-)

From my wife's collection, not mine ;-)

Sausage Bean Chowder serves 10-12
1lb bulk sausage (pork, turkey, mild/hot to your taste)
2 (16oz) cans kidney beans (undrained)
2 (15 1/2oz) cans diced (or finely diced - sometimes marked "petite diced") tomatoes (undrained)
4C water
1 medium onion, chopped (adjust to taste - we like a little less onion)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste - we use very little salt when cooking)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 chopped green pepper (optional)
1 C diced potatoes (increase if you like potatoes or need to stretch the recipe)

In a large pot (there's about 12 cups of "stuff" in that list) cook sausage until brown. Pour off fat. (You may find it easier to cook the sausage - especially if it's the paste-texture turkey sausage - in a large skillet. You will still need the big pot for simmering everything.)
Add kidney beans, tomatoes, water, onion, bay leaves, salt, garlic salt, thyme and pepper to browned sausage.
Simmer covered 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and green pepper. Cook covered 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove bay leaves (and green pepper if bagged) and serve.
I make almost this exact same recipe except I use smoke sausage, use navy beans or sometimes 15 Beans and leave out the green pepper. It would probably be good with great northern beans too. We just call it "Bean Soup"
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #80
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's another of my favorites. I learned this one in Newfoundland. Went for dinner at a little cafe, just six tables, and thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was so good. Made friends with the owner over the next few days and she finally gave me the recipe. This is one of those deceptively simple dishes that just works perfectly and is easy to make on a cold winter day.

Codfish au gratin, Newfoundland style

1 lb codfish, cut in 1" cubes

½ cup butter

½ cup flour

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 cups milk

½ tsp seasoned salt

½ tsp fresh ground pepper

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

½ cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 375°F

In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour until smooth

Whisk constantly, cooking for 5 minutes

Reduce heat, whisk in half the milk, stir for 2-3 minutes until smooth

Add remainder of milk, salt, pepper, and onion

Whisk until it starts to thicken

Mix cheese with breadcrumbs

Place cod in greased baking dish

Cover with sauce and top with cheese/breadcrumb mixture

Bake 20-25 minutes until golden on top

This was wonderful! Made it a week ago and making it again this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote