Join Early Retirement Today

FBI and Kapersky
Old 08-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FBI and Kapersky

Quote:
The FBI previously raised issues over Kaspersky Lab's ties with the Kremlin, as it believes that data collected by the company's popular antivirus program is being sent directly to the Russian government.
https://betanews.com/2017/08/25/fbi-stop-kaspersky/

Do other countries in the world trust us not to use Google, Apple, Facebook, to spy on them?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
gone traveling

I'm not usually the tin-foil-hat type, but I'll never use always-on software that comes from an unfriendly country (Russia, China, etc.).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have used Kaspersky on my three computers for the last 6 or 7 years with zero issues. Of course I have no idea how many emails of mine have been forwarded to the Politburo, I Still have a year left on current contract. May have to switch next year.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just turned off my Kaspersky. IMac offered it for free. The other free extensions work great, no ads.
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I have used Kaspersky on my three computers for the last 6 or 7 years with zero issues. Of course I have no idea how many emails of mine have been forwarded to the Politburo
For me, it's not just the privacy issue: Suppose at some date in the future country X wants to 'teach the US a lesson', or actively engage in cyberwar. Some of this software - like Kaspersky - is actively running on your computer 24/7, and constantly in touch with the Mothership. How tough would it be for a signal to go out which causes that software to encrypt or delete your hard drive, crash your computer, or become a host for other types of attacks?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've been using Kaspersky for years also, no problems. Here's a different view on whether or not to use it for your home, assuming there's no national security involved.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/kaspers...ews-25516.html

My quick summary on the above link is that it should be as safe as any antivirus software for home use. There's not much evidence of the alleged ties to the Kremlin, no evidence that he has sent any data their way, he has offered his source code to the US government, and he's probably got too much to lose in his business to do this.

I'll do more research but I'm not removing it, at least not for now. I ran McAfee and/or Norton for a few years before that and there was so much bloatware that my PC really ran a lot better after I switched.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the states and don't fully trust Google and Facebook (I don't have Apple devices) from not spying. Oh, and Microsoft too. Just saying.

I used to have Maxthon as my browser. That's made in China and have read some concern too whether China is spying.
Kapersky or kaepernick?
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

Kapersky or kaepernick?

I thought this was going to be an NFL thread.

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Interesting article. I bought a "new" (actually refurbished like my last 3) desktop and installed Kaspersky on it and as well as my other devices after reading some reviews on its effectiveness. Well, just today, I had to spend 2 hours getting some malware off the "new" desktop (Windows 10) that had hijacked my browser. I never had any issues w/ the "old" desktop with Win 7 and AVG installed. So, I am *not* a fan of this Kaspersky deal nor with Windows 10.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm not usually the tin-foil-hat type, but I'll never use always-on software that comes from an unfriendly country (Russia, China, etc.).
How would you know? Seriously if company X outsources 50% of their development jobs to country Y, how are you going to know?

Development happens all over the world today. Even totally US based organizations have employee's who are not US citizens. I've worked with people all over the world, especially when I stopped traveling overseas and stayed in the Midwest.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #11

A good read is 'Spam Nation: The Inside Story of Organized Cybercrime' by Brian Krebs. Russia has been the center of cybercrime around the world for a very long time and there are likely ties between the cyber criminals and members of the Russian government although no one on the outside really knows to what degree. Kapersky might be a perfectly good product but I would never use it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Do other countries in the world trust us not to use Google, Apple, Facebook, to spy on them?
They probably don't.

But Global companies have to consider their customers world-wide. Many see much of their growth outside the US. I imagine they have a strong incentive not to become too closely entwined with the US government.

Then again, Google, Apple and especially Facebook DO spy on us all to an alarming degree, but for their own enrichment, not for any government. Most of us don't really seem to care. I haven't started wearing tin-foil hats yet, but I try to be aware of what's being collected and the more I learn, the more I make modest efforts to avoid some of the worst data-collectors.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

All our laptops are made in China. Who knows what lays in the bios?

Tags
kapersky fbi