fed gov retirement pkg question

infoseeker

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello. For all you problem solvers, suggestions on how to handle this appreciated: Husband is a fed retire (retired May 2012). OPM finalized his package just a few weeks ago. Much to our surprise, $430 monthly health insurance deduction was in place. We had requested no health insurance. Called OPM 4 days ago to see what went wrong. Yesterday received the "paper work" to suspend health insurance. (were we negligent in not looking for this form a long time ago? Amongst all the forms, we didnt know this was needed....) I have a feeling Januarys deduction will happen before OPM acts on the suspension form (mailing it back today). .....We will have then "paid for" two months of health insurance ($860) that we did not ask for. Since our suspension request will have a December date can we expect a credit for health insurance premium if it occurs again in January? Thanks for your thoughts/advice on this matter.

I'm actually glad they don't just stop a fed retiree's FEHB without some formal paperwork, demonstrating that the retiree definitely wants to cancel or suspend their coverage, rather than just go on a verbal request or something less positive than a signed & dated form. The issue is that if an employee/retiree cancels their FEHB, they can never get it back if they need to. Never. However, if the retiree/employee chooses to "suspend" their coverage due to having either TriCare or some other plan that "qualifies", they can re-instate FEHB in the future. Having a private health insurance plan does not meet the definition of qualifies. I'd think very hard about completely canceling, but if you happen to have TriCare, then suspending isn't a bad option. That's what I plan to do. I might be wrong, but I'd be surprised if you get a refund in this case. They will probably say that you've been covered and had access to the insurance during the period you paid premiums for. Or......I could be wrong. Nothing surprises me (much) these days.

Back
Top Bottom