Join Early Retirement Today

Feline Stomatitis
Old 02-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Feline Stomatitis

One of my cats has been suffering from feline stomatitis for over a year now. It's a very painful inflamation of the gums and mouth. While the cause is uncertain, many vets believe it's due to an allergic reaction to naturally occuring bacteria on the teeth.

This condition progressed to the point where she ran away from the food bowl in agony. Even though I fed her canned food, mixed with warm water, it still hurt to eat.

Upon the advice of my vet, I took her to an practice specializing in animal dental issues. The two vets there have tons of specialized training and are even called upon to treat dental issues for animals at the National Zoo in DC.

After examining her and reviewing her case history, they recommended removing all her teeth. I was stunned by this, but after doing some research on my own, found this is the usual recommendation is cases such as hers. Feline stomatitis is quite common in cats and less common with dogs.

Last Thursday, my cat had all her teeth removed. The first couple of days were difficult, but she has made a remarkable recovery. I can tell she feels better already. I'm told once she fully recovers, I can expect her to act like a kitten again. Naturally, this was very expensive. Even so, DH and I have an ample amount in our budget to ensure our companion animals receive the best of care.

Here's a fairly recent picture of her prior to the dental procedure. Surpisingly, the procedure has not significantly changed her appearance. She's a wonderful cat, 10 years young, and I hope to have many more years with her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amber.JPG (426.8 KB, 3 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I've never heard of that before, and I've had cats most of my life.

I have a cat (Tootsie) that is a tiny girl weighing around 5 1/2 pounds. A few years ago, she fell and when I checked her, I noticed a tooth in front missing. The next day, I took her to the vet to make sure she was ok. The vet said she was fine, and then said, "Most of her teeth are missing." I was totally shocked. I had no idea.

Well, my Toots has very few teeth left now. I guess she's doing pretty well considering she plays like a kitten and will be 18 this fall.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad she's doing well.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our cats used to love whipped cream. Have you considered that as a treat for her?
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Our cats used to love whipped cream. Have you considered that as a treat for her?
Sounds like a good treat for a kitty with a tender mouth. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #5

Ours just loves his portion of Breyer's vanillla ice cream at night. I think something cool like ice cream would be good for your kitty's gums. Then, you guys can enjoy ice cream time every night!

After she heals, what about being outside? I am thinking about other cats wanting to fight yours. She will have her claws for protection, but no teeth. Or is she always inside?

Here's a pic of Sammy Cat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sammy Cat 10-28-08 002.jpg (29.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
After she heals, what about being outside? I am thinking about other cats wanting to fight yours. She will have her claws for protection, but no teeth. Or is she always inside?
Here's a pic of Sammy Cat...
That's a valid concern. I think it could be worse for a declawed cat to be let out as the claws are the primary defense system for a cat. Teeth are more for eating wild game. In this case, however, she's always inside, so it's not an issue. Plus, the teeth are not needed for eating canned fancy feast
Old 02-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I think it could be worse for a declawed cat to be let out as the claws are the primary defense system for a cat.
Yep. Our cats were de-clawed, but we let them out every day, weather permitting, and they loved to go outside. But we were always there to supervise them. We never let them out alone.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Glad the procedure seems to be working out well for your cat. I have a kitten and a 10-year-old cat who both adore a teaspoonful or so of plain yogurt. I've read that cats lack a sweet tooth and they can also be lactose-intolerant (I know, hard to believe about cats), but the yogurt seems to be digested OK.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Glad the procedure seems to be working out well for your cat. I have a kitten and a 10-year-old cat who both adore a teaspoonful or so of plain yogurt. I've read that cats lack a sweet tooth and they can also be lactose-intolerant (I know, hard to believe about cats), but the yogurt seems to be digested OK.
Thanks Amethyst, she is feeling much better. I've heard the same about lactose intolerance in cats. Somehow, yougurt seems to be fine for them and has even been recommended by my vet for "tummy issues".
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting and good to know.
We had a foster dog that came to us with only 3 teeth. She had no trouble eating but she drank water like a pelican. Apparently that is the only downfall, not having a guide for the tongue when they are lapping. Anna could cover the floor with her water drinking!

I am glad this will improve your kitty's life. Keep us posted on how it goes. 3 of my 5 cats are at or over 10 now, and I expect more health problems to come.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Of our four cats, only our Begal lets us ‘brush’ her teeth. Actually it is simply applying this goop that coats the teeth to prevent plaque. We have to do it once a week. The others are too hard to hold or catch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCATS.jpg (144.1 KB, 2 views)
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

I inherited an older cat from my ex-husband. He never took her in for regular vet checkups, etc. I noticed that the cat was having a hard time eating, so I took her in. She had gum disease and the vet removed all her remaining teeth. After she recovered, she could clean a chicken wing so well that it looked like it never even had meat on it! Your kitty will be fine!!!
debster747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

All these pics inspired me....here's Tootsie....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2282609544_700f630585_m[1].jpg (20.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 02-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
All these pics inspired me....here's Tootsie....
Tootsie has a great face - lots of purr-sonality and a little attitude. I like that in a cat. As a matter of fact, I like that in a man too
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by debster747 View Post
I inherited an older cat from my ex-husband. He never took her in for regular vet checkups, etc. I noticed that the cat was having a hard time eating, so I took her in. She had gum disease and the vet removed all her remaining teeth. After she recovered, she could clean a chicken wing so well that it looked like it never even had meat on it! Your kitty will be fine!!!
debster747: thanks for your words of encouragement! I see you are kinda new here so welcome! Nice to have another kitty lover in our ranks
Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tootsie has a great face - lots of purr-sonality and a little attitude. I like that in a cat.
Yeah it's all about purr-sonality and attitude. Snuggling, becoming alert in an instant, wanting to please, and a little growling thrown in.
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I like that in a man too
See my reply above....
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Even so, DH and I have an ample amount in our budget to ensure our companion animals receive the best of care.
I'm glad to hear your kitty is doing well. It's also nice to see others who budget for their companion animals. I'm as cheap as can be but I think that when we take in animals we owe it to them to care for them.

One of my kitties has a heart problem and requires yearly MRIs and expensive daily heart medicine. I consider this to be in the "required" portion of the budget rather than the "discretionary." I do tell him he is required to be extra cute to make up for the expense and he obliges.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurBall View Post
I do tell him he is required to be extra cute to make up for the expense and he obliges.
Very nice FurBall. Glad to know I'm not the only one
Old 03-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Update on my kitty

It's been two weeks today since my kitty had all her teeth removed due to the feline stomatitis. I took her in for a follow up visit and she is doing great! She is so much happier and much more comfortable. I waited until I knew she had healed up OK before giving her dry food which she adores. She gobbled it up with no problems. This was a big procedure, but seeing her so happy and finally pain free made it all worthwhile. Here's a picture of her I took just now as she was peacefully napping:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010050.JPG (427.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
It's been two weeks today since my kitty had all her teeth removed due to the feline stomatitis. I took her in for a follow up visit and she is doing great! She is so much happier and much more comfortable. I waited until I knew she had healed up OK before giving her dry food which she adores. She gobbled it up with no problems. This was a big procedure, but seeing her so happy and finally pain free made it all worthwhile. Here's a picture of her I took just now as she was peacefully napping:

Let me know when she feels up for a jackalope ride.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote