Join Early Retirement Today

Fell off Ladder - What an Idiot!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #1

Fell off Ladder - What an Idiot!

An alder tree had been bent over by a recent storm, and was leaning on the house. I put the ladder against it from the side, and figured that when I cut (above where the ladder was resting), it would move down a bit, since it was no longer supported by the house.

Instead it sprung up, so that the ladder was all by itself in the air, with me at the top. Watched everything happening in slow motion. Almost broke the leg (twisted through the ladder), but came out with only major bruises and minor cuts.

Guess I'm just as stupid as those guys you see on AFV.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Fell off Ladder - What an Idiot!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad that you are not hurt too badly.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Instead it sprung up, so that the ladder was all by itself in the air, with me at the top.
Suggestion: Stick with the trombone, and don't try playing the saw....

REW
Old 06-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can't fly; you're not an eagle.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #5

Glad you landed ok. I always feel like an accident waiting to happen when I'm on a ladder.

Probably would have made a good video...
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #6

Now we know the real reason retirees die sooner than working stiffs.

My neighbor did the same thing about a month after he retired.

I get in all sorts of trouble myself. Most recently, I drilled a hole through the hot water pipe after my stud finder told me it found a stud for me to mount a towel rack.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My grandpa used to be a painter (among other things). He told in my early 20's to never get up on a ladder I didnt want to fall off of, because sooner or later that would happen. We werent talking about painting or actual ladders at the time, but the sentiment goes well with many risk taking situations. Subject was actually a prospective girlfriend.

I did fall off a ladder once, but I must have been loaded with good karma. I had a 40'er at too long an angle because I had to clear a lower roof and reach a gutter on an upper roof. Second mistake was it was sitting on a sloped driveway, sloping the wrong way. I nearly reached the gutter when it started to slide. Slowly. Slid down until it hit the lower roof, then started sliding off that. I said "Swell, I'm going face first into the driveway. I turned over onto my back with my feet on the same rung and my hands on the rails. When the ladder cleared the lower roof and started the actual fall, I was only ~6' off the driveway. Hopped off and over the side and landed on my feet. My neighbor across the street said he was going to run into the house to get a sign with "9.7" written on it and hold it up. Said I needed to "stick" the landing a little better if I wanted the full 10.0...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
* *Most recently, I drilled a hole through the hot water pipe after my stud finder told me it found a stud for me to mount a towel rack.
Could have been worse ... while he was building his house, my cousin stopped the furnace man from sawing into the gas line.*
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A college friend of mine became an actuary. Hanging around him is an exercise in finding risks you never knew existed. I have decided that as I get older, I will cease being a homeowner and do apartments only. I know I would never pay the outrageous rates that the local idiots charge to do things around one's house. I would do it, or leave it undone.

I have already stopped using a chainsaw. I am still almost as strong as I ever was, but lets face it, chain saws are an accident trying to happen. I buy my wood. If I need to cut something, I use an old buck-saw inherited from my Dad.

In a decent apartment these things will never be a problem.

Haha
Old 06-22-2005, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
A college friend of mine became an actuary. Hanging around him is an exercise in finding risks you never knew existed. I have decided that as I get older, I will cease being a homeowner and do apartments only. I know I would never pay the outrageous rates that the local idiots charge to do things around one's house. I would do it, or leave it undone.

I have already stopped using a chainsaw. I am still almost as strong as I ever was, but lets face it, chain saws are an accident trying to happen. I buy my wood. If I need to cut something, I use an old buck-saw inherited from my Dad.

In a decent apartment these things will never be a problem.

Haha
You are right about chain saws and all sorts of basic hazards around
the house. I can see a hundred things from where I sit that could potentially kill or maim. Or, take my late lamented motorcycle.
That is pretty dangerous too. I am all done now, but rode many thousands of miles without a scratch. Anyway, it's like Al Pacino said...........
"You can get killed walkin' your doggie!"

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

...by some irate homeowner POd about doggy bombs??

Sorry, couldn't resist...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #12

TA,

Sorry about your mishap. Mathematically, ladder + chainsaw = blood.

Recently I was on the roof working on the chimney. A gust of wind blew the aluminum ladder down! No one home nearby. What to do? I carefully jumped about 5 feet on to the carport roof then 8 feet to the ground - no pain no strain.

My uncle, however while on a stepladder in his garage, got his feet tangled and fell about 5 feet to his death. You're a lucky guy!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I got my own Darwin award today. I was walking along cutting grass, and didn't duck quite enough to clear a low 6" branch on an apple tree. Bam!! Blood all over, head hurting, feeling like a moron.

The cut was short, shallow and pretty straight, so I just scrubbed it and closed it with butterflies. An ice pack and some Jack Daniels is now fixing the pain.

What was I saying the other day about living in an apartment?*

Ha