Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perfectly fair observation on your part. It would only be unfair if you expected women to be more "caring" (never mind what that particular woman happens to think or feel), and were disappointed/critical when she turned out to be just about as caring as a man in the same job.

As for teaching, perhaps that gap would close if salaries were higher.

My first male teacher was in fifth grade; he was terrible, just a loser as a teacher of pubescent kids. He let the dominant kids walk all over him. That doesn't mean plenty of men wouldn't be great 5th grade teachers. Actually, in fourth grade I had an awesome lady teacher, but I really wanted Mr. Anderson, the other 4th grade teacher, who was tall, lean, and had wavy red hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Regarding nature or nurture on the caring traits of men versus woman, all I know is that I’ve always been more comfortable with a female doctor. I’m not sure if it’s a caring gene as much as it is a listening gene. Given a choice I’ve chosen a female doctor since I’ve been an adult. I’ve been referred to a few male doctors as certain health issues have arose, and it only confirmed my belief. Sorry, I think women are better caregivers. I have no doubt they can do anything but I’m sure they give care well and I think it is part of their dna.

One area I do wish the gender gap would close is in teaching. Maybe not the lowest grades, but I remember getting my first male teacher in fifth grade and it was one of those things that changed my life.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Getting back to plumbing... I just recalled that a few years ago I went to the local big-box place for a part for my well tank. ...

-ERD50
OK, this is weird. An hour after posting this about my well tank, I go downstairs to get some paint for a project, and I see a puddle around the well tank. Yep, it's leaking (and I've been busy with a lot of projects lately, walk by the tank 10 times a day, so it just started).

The well tank has a five year warranty, I wrote on the tank "installed Feb 2014"... missed it by a few months!

There's more to that story, maybe I'll update the 'repair' thread. But I found one of the same diameter (taller, but that's OK), and got it swapped out in time to get showers and go out to dinner.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:40 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a grandaughter that is graduating this year and is not sure college is the right thing for her. I said check out the trades to see if that is something you might be interested in. there is much opportunity for young women to learn to do plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc. and move on to form their own company when they have the certifications and with the amount of building going on in this area the the opportunities are endless, not to mention with the demand locally, they can pretty much name their own price.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Plus, rather few worries about having your job outsourced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I have a grandaughter that is graduating this year and is not sure college is the right thing for her. I said check out the trades to see if that is something you might be interested in. there is much opportunity for young women to learn to do plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc. and move on to form their own company when they have the certifications and with the amount of building going on in this area the the opportunities are endless, not to mention with the demand locally, they can pretty much name their own price.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Plus, rather few worries about having your job outsourced.
Great point!

In the high tech area I worked in -- and the mega and kilo corps I worked at -- I was very fortunate to work in environments reaching for and making progress to all kinds of diversity. At my first megacorp in the 80s, we had about 20% female engineers, which was well above the graduation rate for that discipline. Even my kilo corp in the 90s was near this rate.

In my waning years of my career, I saw a reversal. I believe it was due to outsourcing. The "outsourcing machine" didn't seem to see a reason to achieve any kind of diversity, and it ate up the progress and spit it out.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbers, skilled trades, women in trades