Female plumber - finally, in 2019?!

When all this “Me Too” stuff started, an amazing thing happened. Some of my younger female FB friends, younger as in university students w*rking on MS or PhD (at my j*b for 7-1/2 years), began posting accounts of the various forms of harassment, creepy behavior, and attempted/actual date rape, perpetuated upon them almost daily by colleagues, cow-orkers, mentors, professors, and random strangers. They weren’t outing anyone, or trying to get anyone fired or arrested...

Regarding nature or nurture on the caring traits of men versus woman, all I know is that I’ve always been more comfortable with a female doctor. I’m not sure if it’s a caring gene as much as it is a listening gene. Given a choice I’ve chosen a female doctor since I’ve been an adult. I’ve been referred to a few male doctors as certain health issues have arose, and it only confirmed my belief. Sorry, I think women are better caregivers. I have no doubt they can do anything but I’m sure they give care well and I think it is part of their dna.

One area I do wish the gender gap would close is in teaching. Maybe not the lowest grades, but I remember getting my first male teacher in fifth grade and it was one of those things that changed my life.

We young women would talk about amongst ourselves about the daily harassments, but quietly, since nobody wanted to be accused of "bringing it on yourself." We knew who to avoid or never be alone in a room with, but we also didn't dare "out" such people in any meaningful way.

I sensed a modest change at work by the mid-to-late 1980's. There was no exercise facility where I worked, so during warm weather I would change into shorts and take a walk around the campus at lunchtime. There was some construction going on, and I got sick of the construction workers cat-calling and making kissy-kissy noises when I walked by, so I complained to facilities management. My complaint was taken seriously, and I never heard another dang peep out of those construction workers. I was not going to be treated as their personal entertainment.

When all this “Me Too” stuff started, an amazing thing happened. Some of my younger female FB friends, younger as in university students w*rking on MS or PhD (at my j*b for 7-1/2 years), began posting accounts of the various forms of harassment, creepy behavior, and attempted/actual date rape, perpetuated upon them almost daily by colleagues, cow-orkers, mentors, professors, and random strangers. They weren’t outing anyone, or trying to get anyone fired or arrested...

The feminine version would be "blonde jokes." Just for fairness, there was also a pretty good joke going around about a blond guy who did dumb things.

While I look that up, "hold my beer."* :)

* - for our non-USA friends, "Hold my beer" is a common joke about men, yes men, who are about to do something really stupid, like pick up the jammed and lit firework.

* - for our non-USA friends, "Hold my beer" is a common joke about men, yes men, who are about to do something really stupid, like pick up the jammed and lit firework.

Hey, hey, hey. That’s not true at all. It means that the man is going to do something truly awesome that will impress the entire gathering (best if it’s a large crowd but not required) and he knows that spilling ones beer in the process is not only illegal but would also take away from the awesomeness of what’s about to occur. Hence, “hold my beer”. :D

And, yes, it will likely result in injury, but that’s just the cost of greatness.

Perfectly fair observation on your part. It would only be unfair if you expected women to be more "caring" (never mind what that particular woman happens to think or feel), and were disappointed/critical when she turned out to be just about as caring as a man in the same job.

As for teaching, perhaps that gap would close if salaries were higher.

My first male teacher was in fifth grade; he was terrible, just a loser as a teacher of pubescent kids. He let the dominant kids walk all over him. That doesn't mean plenty of men wouldn't be great 5th grade teachers. Actually, in fourth grade I had an awesome lady teacher, but I really wanted Mr. Anderson, the other 4th grade teacher, who was tall, lean, and had wavy red hair :LOL:

Regarding nature or nurture on the caring traits of men versus woman, all I know is that I’ve always been more comfortable with a female doctor. I’m not sure if it’s a caring gene as much as it is a listening gene. Given a choice I’ve chosen a female doctor since I’ve been an adult. I’ve been referred to a few male doctors as certain health issues have arose, and it only confirmed my belief. Sorry, I think women are better caregivers. I have no doubt they can do anything but I’m sure they give care well and I think it is part of their dna.

One area I do wish the gender gap would close is in teaching. Maybe not the lowest grades, but I remember getting my first male teacher in fifth grade and it was one of those things that changed my life.

Getting back to plumbing... I just recalled that a few years ago I went to the local big-box place for a part for my well tank. ...

-ERD50

OK, this is weird. An hour after posting this about my well tank, I go downstairs to get some paint for a project, and I see a puddle around the well tank. Yep, it's leaking (and I've been busy with a lot of projects lately, walk by the tank 10 times a day, so it just started).

The well tank has a five year warranty, I wrote on the tank "installed Feb 2014"... missed it by a few months!

There's more to that story, maybe I'll update the 'repair' thread. But I found one of the same diameter (taller, but that's OK), and got it swapped out in time to get showers and go out to dinner.

-ERD50

I have a grandaughter that is graduating this year and is not sure college is the right thing for her. I said check out the trades to see if that is something you might be interested in. there is much opportunity for young women to learn to do plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc. and move on to form their own company when they have the certifications and with the amount of building going on in this area the the opportunities are endless, not to mention with the demand locally, they can pretty much name their own price.

Plus, rather few worries about having your job outsourced.
I have a grandaughter that is graduating this year and is not sure college is the right thing for her. I said check out the trades to see if that is something you might be interested in. there is much opportunity for young women to learn to do plumbing, electrical, hvac, etc. and move on to form their own company when they have the certifications and with the amount of building going on in this area the the opportunities are endless, not to mention with the demand locally, they can pretty much name their own price.

Plus, rather few worries about having your job outsourced.
Great point!

In the high tech area I worked in -- and the mega and kilo corps I worked at -- I was very fortunate to work in environments reaching for and making progress to all kinds of diversity. At my first megacorp in the 80s, we had about 20% female engineers, which was well above the graduation rate for that discipline. Even my kilo corp in the 90s was near this rate.

In my waning years of my career, I saw a reversal. I believe it was due to outsourcing. The "outsourcing machine" didn't seem to see a reason to achieve any kind of diversity, and it ate up the progress and spit it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom