Female plumber - finally, in 2019?!

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
She inspected all the plumbing in our new/old house, made a number of recommendations, and replaced the wax rings on two toilets.

It struck me that for all the decades I've been a homeowner, hiring many, many skilled tradespeople, she was the first female plumber who's ever worked on our home. And every other tradesperson we've hired has been a man. Not because we don't want women, but because women simply weren't on the company's technical staff.

I asked her how she got into plumbing. She worked as a janitor after school (high school) and learned a lot about plumbing. Then, she tried going to school to learn medical coding, but found it boring. Next, she trained in auto mechanics, but found out that plumbing paid better.

It just surprises me, in this day and age, not to encounter more women in skilled trades, especially home services. In the mid-20th century, my Dad was an electrician who worked on heavy construction sites where the work was physically demanding (even for him as he aged), and even he said a woman electrician would be just as good as a man, especially in the home where the physical demands were not as great. But there were no women in his union at all.

Last edited:
This is in Canada, but my auto mechanic is female. It's my first. It's a good thing IMO.

My father's female cousin has been a licensed plumber for about 30 years now. One of the first for sure.

Dad was a union plumber and ran into his first female colleague in the early 80s.

Here's the weird thing, even though they were starting to get females in the union, at union meetings, the bosses would still refer to the members as "brothers." I know, because dad took me to one. The story of being at a union meeting as a teenager is for another thread. Let's just say it was fascinating.

Dad was a union plumber and ran into his first female colleague in the early 80s.

Here's the weird thing, even though they were starting to get females in the union, at union meetings, the bosses would still refer to the members as "brothers." I know, because dad took me to one. The story of being at a union meeting as a teenager is for another thread. Let's just say it was fascinating.

Maybe just me, but I always think, for lack of a better word, feels weird in a mixed group of males and females and the group gets referred to as "hey guys". I've seen that on newscasts with the male and female anchors refers to as "guys".

Female apprentice plumber replaced a shower cartridge for me

I've encountered only one- 4 years ago. Not work I'd want to do, but very glad those jobs are open to women who want to do them. In general, I love seeing "outliers", whether they're men teaching kindergarten or female plumbers.

It is about time. There is nothing as disgusting as a male plumber's butt.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 296
This lady had no such issues. Her shirt stayed firmly tucked into her jeans, even when reseating our toilets (I was curious about that whole toilet wax ring process, so I peeked).

It is about time. There is nothing as disgusting as a male plumber's butt.

Maybe just me, but I always think, for lack of a better word, feels weird in a mixed group of males and females and the group gets referred to as "hey guys". I've seen that on newscasts with the male and female anchors refers to as "guys".

That saying was standard in my megacorps. The ladies didn't seem to mind.

I generally referred to groups of co-workers as "People," but "guys" was also used and nobody seemed to get offended.

Here's the weird thing, even though they were starting to get females in the union, at union meetings, the bosses would still refer to the members as "brothers."

Well, a lot of unions had (maybe still have) "brotherhood" in the name. My sister is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and I'm a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society. We're both mothers!

One other largely-male profession is commercial airline piloting. When I was in the airport with my 5-year old granddaughter and we saw a female pilot, I told her, "that lady with the strips on her jacket flies a plane. Would you like to do that?" She didn't express any great interest but I wanted to let her know what was possible, without making it sound unusual.

I generally referred to groups of co-workers as "People," but "guys" was also used and nobody seemed to get offended.

Maybe it is just me then? :angel:

I too remember back at megacorp "guys" used to refer to the group. I preferred to say "everyone" or "the group" as when I hear "guys" I think of guys night out the say way as "girls" as girls night out.

since no one else has asked, I'll bite

did she have the requisite butt crack?

I've encountered only one- 4 years ago. Not work I'd want to do, but very glad those jobs are open to women who want to do them. In general, I love seeing "outliers", whether they're men teaching kindergarten or female plumbers.

Unfortunately, the fear of false accusations probably deters a lot of very qualified men from teaching and other jobs that puts them in close contact with underage females. It only takes is one upset or angry girl to make a false accusation that destroys someone's career and reputation. Why would anyone risk it?

And I was a "graybeard" in my profession, even though I (thankfully) don't have a beard. If someone comes up with a really catchy female version of these various old terms, I'm sure it will catch on.

Well, a lot of unions had (maybe still have) "brotherhood" in the name. My sister is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and I'm a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society. We're both mothers!

l.

Maybe it is just me then? :angel:

I too remember back at megacorp "guys" used to refer to the group. I preferred to say "everyone" or "the group" as when I hear "guys" I think of guys night out the say way as "girls" as girls night out.

While most women won't complain (because that's low on the totem pole), I don't think I've ever heard any airline announcement using it. Pilot's always say "well, folks..." It's just one of those things.

As far as female plumbers, I've had more than one plumber too large (male) to fit under my sink or arms are too big to maneuver something, where they've had to call in someone smaller to help finish a job.

Absolutely.

We had Rosie the Riviter, now Rosie the Rooter

It is a change in language over the last few decades or so.

I was surprised how many people we encountered in Europe who comfortably use the expression "you guys" to a mixed audience too. I just thought it was a Yank thing.

Here in the South, we are desperately trying to hold on to "ya'll," but are rapidly losing the battle to "you guys."

BTW, "The Electric Company" some nearly 50 odd years ago helped popularize it to a new generation. I seriously think this had a lot to do with spreading it.

Last edited:
Nah. When I started in my field there were only about 6% women. Most women who choose a heavily male field know it and don't care about stuff like that. In fact, lately mega is trying to be more inclusive and started a women's group. I initially declined to join, as I prefer to be evaluated on my job performance. And I kinda liked being one of the guys...

Back
Top Bottom