Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Not a bit of remorse. I am thoroughly enjoying it on the few warmish days we've had so far and I'm and looking forward to warmer weather. Although writing a 5-figure check does make me a little tense, looking at it in the garage I just smile.
We are on the same page.
I figure it this way - I cut costs so much in all other aspects of my life, I need a fun and totally materialistic outlet.
Buying it was not beyond my means while I was still w*rking.
My midlife crisis car may be totally self-indulgent, but you know what? That's exactly why I bought it.
In warm weather, I just love to hop in that car, put the top down, crank up the radio and go for cruises around the countryside. It makes me feel young to tool around, downshifting for the curves, opening it up on a flat stretch, etc. The best is watching people recognize the 'Stang as a look-alike of a memory of their own and seeing the big smiles. I get a lot of "thumbs up" and friendly waves from other drivers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I have the opposite problem; I have to fight the urge to be an extreme miser and squirrel away every extra cent we have to our name.
I am the same way. I see something I like at the mall or on TV then spend half a day looking for it cheaper on the Internet. Then come to the realization if I just wait a couple months it will be cheaper. A couple month later I forgot what I wanted to buy. Works like magic.
Gpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - mine was a 1967 XKE 2+2 coupe bought in 1970. Within a year I bought a 1961 Pontiac Bonneville cause it started in cold weather(Denver) and had room for parts(for the XKE). Plus single and under thirty male - insurance was a trip.

Hmmmm - now in ER may be time to sin again - not getting any younger.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Frank wants a Miata, but for a couple of years now he has resisted the urge to buy one. He says he really doesn't need one and couldn't drive a convertible on most days down here anyway.

I am so proud of him for not giving in to the urge to splurge! It's not easy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am so proud of him for not giving in to the urge to splurge! It's not easy.
It's interesting how circumstances change your perspective on this. It hasn't historically been easy for me to resist a good splurge, even though I've always been a pretty good saver. But today, given our current household circumstances, I find it very difficult to spend anything that doesn't absolutely have to be spent.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes the urge to splurge can be fulfilled by shopping at garage sales. I know it sounds silly, but bringing home something neat or useful can satisfy the urge.

Could be the urge to shop or buy things is related to the urge to hunt or gather. You prepare, you spot your prey, you shoot, and you bring home the booty. Works the same for a deer, a car, or a blender.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My first car was a Mustang 69, though not a convertible. My 3rd car was a 75 Datsun Z-280. My current car is a 95 minivan. Next car either a hybrid or a high MPG like T-Al's. I am done with fast cars.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's interesting how circumstances change your perspective on this. It hasn't historically been easy for me to resist a good splurge, even though I've always been a pretty good saver. But today, given our current household circumstances, I find it very difficult to spend anything that doesn't absolutely have to be spent.
That's just prudent, given your circumstances!

I suspect that Frank's temptation is the fact that he knows he could always take a contract after we retire, and use the extra money to pay for "toys". However I keep reminding him that money = time, and I do think he is doing pretty well in his efforts to save.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sometimes the urge to splurge can be fulfilled by shopping at garage sales. I know it sounds silly, but bringing home something neat or useful can satisfy the urge.
It doesn't sound silly to me!! I have found some real treasures at garage sales (well, treasures to ME! ). Also I can get the same satisfaction from going to a second hand store and buying something for nearly nothing.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

W2R

If the price of a Miata means the difference between retiring and continuing to work, perhaps the decision to retire has been made with undue haste.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
W2R

If the price of a Miata means the difference between retiring and continuing to work, perhaps the decision to retire has been made with undue haste.
Frank is only 54, and I think that he is toying with the idea of semi-retiring - - just taking a contract now and then, if he feels like it. I'm not sure he is ready to completely "hang it up", and only he knows that for sure. He could easily retire now if he was willing to live a somewhat frugal lifestyle, but then if he worked sporadically he wouldn't really have to do that. Whatever he wants to do is fine with me, as long as he is happy.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It doesn't sound silly to me!! I have found some real treasures at garage sales (well, treasures to ME! ). Also I can get the same satisfaction from going to a second hand store and buying something for nearly nothing.
Brisket for the neighbor over the back fence turned out great yesterday(we got to generously sample) - so the $10 Cajun Cooker/Smoker II bought last summer has got a ton of mileage - usually garage sale items are what I call dust catchers and after a few years get put out to be garaged saled to someone else.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Not a bit of remorse. I am thoroughly enjoying it on the few warmish days we've had so far and I'm and looking forward to warmer weather. Although writing a 5-figure check does make me a little tense, looking at it in the garage I just smile.

Now, if I could figure out a way to carry a bicycle on a motorcycle....
I'm looking forward to your avatar showing you and your motorcycle...
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm looking forward to your avatar showing you and your motorcycle...
... carrying your bicycle....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... carrying your bicycle....
and of course dressed in his uniform....