Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, not for me! Perhaps you have not yet tried EFTPS for estimated tax payments? I think you might find you like it. It only takes me about 5 minutes to set up EFTPS payments for the entire year, and the amount is completely under my control which I much prefer. I'd far rather do that than deal with withholdings from half a dozen small income streams coming at me from various sources.

I have to give Audreyh1 credit! I found out about EFTPS from her, or I never would have known about it.
How do folks who use EFTPS remember to have enough bucks in the account at the right time?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
How do folks who use EFTPS remember to have enough bucks in the account at the right time?
I just put a reminder on my calendar at the same time that I schedule the payments for the year.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:48 PM   #83

I don't schedule my payments all at once. I go in a couple of weeks ahead of each quarterly payment and schedule and deduct the money from my checking account balance.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I finally got brave enough to link it to one of my savings accounts.

But I only had one year where I prescheduled all payments. I usually schedule each payment a week in advance.

That year with the prescheduled estimated payments - it sure was nice not to have to do anything!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have it linked too (Ally). But no big deal as the Gov has ALL your account information for ALL your accounts anyway.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I use a spreadsheet to track and balance my checkbook. I write all 4 quarters in that spreadsheet, each put approximately when I expect it to hit, so I'll see it coming and make sure I won't have a negative balance, just like I make sure I won't overdraft on my other bills. I also set up a reminder on my google calendar.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

But I only had one year where I prescheduled all payments. I usually schedule each payment a week in advance.

That year with the prescheduled estimated payments - it sure was nice not to have to do anything!
That's why I was wondering.........not brave enough to link to savings account either w/ presumably higher balance. Seems somewhat similar to the idea of not using debit cards since the w/d could be hard to reverse.

I guess if you preschedule all payments you save some time logging in but the time to schedule each payment is the same as if you did them individually.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Taking a second or third look at my tax forms sometimes exposes something I had not realized before. Yesterday, for example, I discovered that I didn't have to include one page of a form once I read a note buried in the text printed on the form. The numbers changed a few cents, so the ripple effect had me changing some other forms a little.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #89
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Taking a second or third look at my tax forms sometimes exposes something I had not realized before. Yesterday, for example, I discovered that I didn't have to include one page of a form once I read a note buried in the text printed on the form. The numbers changed a few cents, so the ripple effect had me changing some other forms a little.
I've seen that too. Like many things, it is often wise to put something aside for a few days and return to it with a fresh mind. It worked well for me with legal briefs. I may not have been consciously thinking about it during the pause, but my subconscious was churning away and I often had a new perspective when I returned to the task. That's why I never put writing (or doing taxes) off to the last minute.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I missed a chunk of interest paid from maturing CDs in Jan 2019 because I had mis-categorized them as “interest earned” instead of “*int income” in Quicken. So I have to go back and recalculate my annualized income. At least I pad my quarterly estimated tax payments.

DH is doing the taxes, and we noticed a discrepancy in total interest income, so I had to go track it down.

I do the estimated taxes and DH does the tax return.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I enter each 1099 as it arrives into TT, same for estimated payments and the SS and health insurance stuff, mark it as such and file. So never a long session for the taxes at the end as all the input has been done as it arrives in the mail.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #92
Confused about dryer sheets

It's my first year of tIRA to Roth conversions. I'm just going to rip off the band-aid and get the pain over sooner rather than waiting until April.
Chicago_FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #93

I cannot file until I get one last 1099 from FIDO. I inputted the "Preliminary" I got from them, and would rather wait instead of having to file an amended return
+1 for W2R's suggestion about EFTPS. I use part of my RMD to pay my taxes. I have scheduled the withdrawals for the 4 quarter payments in a spreadsheet along with where the balance of the RMD goes.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #94

I filed my taxes today. H&R Block finally fixed the bug that was blocking my efile attempt.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #95
Confused about dryer sheets

Instead of paying taxes quarterly, I just go on Vanguard at the beginning of the year and set it up to have the Federal and State taxes withdrawn from my monthly payment. I use a spread sheet to guesstimate taxes due and ride it out for the year. Covers pensions, SS and monthly withdrawals. Simple.
Leroy Jones
Leroy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I'll have to wait until mid to late March for K-1's. But I also made a number of mistakes last year and had to file 1040X for 2018. I haven't yet received the additional refund from the Feds but I did from CA and VT. I won't make these mistakes again:
No need to input the 1099-G Refund of State Taxes if you take the Standard Deduction rather than itemize.
Be sure to claim Health/Dental Insurance Premium payments for self and spouse as business deduction.
Put estimated tax payments and withholdings from tIRA in the correct places in TT.
I didn't pay enough estimated tax in each quarter last year but found the annualized method and only owe $2 for late payment. In addition to tIRA withdrawals (automatic withholdings), I have part-time consulting income and private REIT income that I need to pay taxes on too. This year, I increased the tIRA withholding to cover but will need to verify it is adequate soon!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is there a reason that you do estimated payments rather than withholdings from tIRA withdrawals/RMDs? I find it a lot more convenient.
I tried the tIRA/401K withdrawal method and it last year for the first time, and it worked well for my situation. I track my income over the year and was able a few (less that quarterly) withdrawals. It worked out well, I hit the state tax amount almost exactly. I would have been close on the federal, but the end of year change that lowered the medical expenses deduction percent helped us, so we'll be getting a refund (which I am not complaining about ).
Old 02-23-2020, 04:35 AM   #98
Dryer sheet aficionado

Got my last 1099 Friday so the whole pile goes to the accountant Monday.
I like to get it out of the way, refund or not.
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
OMG... just shoot me.

What gets me is that it is almost scary how easy tax prep is getting. 99+% of our income is imports from Vanguard, Fidelity and my pension provider and with the higher standard deduction we no longer itemize. Then it is just a matter of reviewing to see if the imports are correct.... less than an hour soup to nuts.
I looked at my TT return for 2018 including all the worksheets etc it was 215 pages! A lot of it was bs like worksheets for each charitable donation. I streamlined prep this year by not entering stuff that won't matter with the standard deduction.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Filing taxes: Anyone else as hesitant as me to pull trigger
Old 02-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #100

Filing taxes: Anyone else as hesitant as me to pull trigger

Even though I have a masters in tax I do our return the last possible minute. Why I hate doing it. The Mrs bugs me to get it done as well.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote