Join Early Retirement Today

Filming Yourself Doing Illegal Things
Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Filming Yourself Doing Illegal Things

Here's a video in which someone shows that he's driving 120 MPH. That wasn't even the point of the video.

https://youtu.be/32siKzJ_Ex0

My question: Wouldn't the police be interested and contact that guy? I mean, 120!

If I understand my legal research, a video like that would not be admissible (correct?), but I'd still think the police would get involved.

There are many other videos showing illegal activity.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I made a video that showed me walking on private property. The property was not posted nor marked in any way and I only found out later that it was private property adjoining a National Forest. I was going to show folks this cool way to cross a creek without getting wet, but because of the private property issue, it will have to remain my secret.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Well, at least he was not doing rape or murder. The police may not bother, because they are busy with higher priority things.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There's thousands of posts of folks doing illegal things every day. If the pd chased down every one that's all they'd do. Perhaps we should ask why there's so many victimless crimes?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

There are a lot of street racing videos (doing well over 120mph) posted on utube that clearly identify the car/driver/locations/tag#, etc... Often the same people (drivers) post them so "apparently" not much is done about it. Some even have their own ongoing "racing video series" posted.

Also, many people often brag about their car "stunts/races" on performance car forums. Often with proof of the event. Never heard of anyone being arrested or even fined "after the fact" but I'm sure it happens in some cases.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Also, at 120 mph, he's long gone by now
Old 02-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Also, at 120 mph, he's long gone by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My question: Wouldn't the police be interested and contact that guy? I mean, 120!
The police won't, but if that guy ever runs for president the media will be all over it.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
The police won't, but if that guy ever runs for president the media will be all over it.
Laugh of the day.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

The general rule is the cops ca only intervene if it's a felony. A misdemeanor requires that it happen while the police are actually seeing it happen. The crimes mentioned above, e.g. speeding, low-riding etc are probably misdemeanors.

As far as the video evidence not being used, depends on the State, but it likely not admissible because there is no chain of custody or bonefides. The origin can be question and it could have been tampered with after the fact. That's what F Lee Bailey will say in court. Just like if you have your bogus traffic stop and ticket on video and bring it to court to exonerate you the judge will take the polices' word for things and tell you your video is not admissible evidence becaus you cannot verify a chain of custody.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think social media gives the false feeling of living on the edge then gossiping about that behavior.

Some bank robbers steal cash then post the loot on social media. Not too bright but feeding that urge to brag .
Old 02-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Laugh of the day.
.... in the Olden days, that probably would have been true. I recall Al Gore, back in the 90-ies getting into serious trouble because his son got a speeding ticket....
Sadly, the bar is way, way, way lower nowadays
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Well, presidents are no Mother Teresa. We know that.

Why can't they drag race in the streets, just like Joe Blow?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #12

My certification required me to be "of good morals and temperate habits", so I pretty much walked the line. Since I also was a certified shotfirer and occasionally handled explosives underground, since 9/11, I had to watch our p's and q's so I wouldn't lose them. So there is no photos or films of any kind.

I do remember about 2004, driving TSA bonkers at a baggage checkpoint. I had done some explosive work a day before our vacation. Back then, luggage was wiped down with those little cloths to detect residue, I guess. Our luggage failed a wipe test, was searched several times, but was found negative. Once I thought I realised the issue, I explained to the supervisor, all in private all was good. Prolly wouldn't fly today, though.
But still, no pictures......
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #13

Tha bar is not that low. We had a case here in Detroit land where some hot rodders blocked off the freeway and videoed themselves doing donuts. The Detroit police chef was on the news saying he would get them and indeed he did.

What’s amazing to me is how many people do film themselves doing some really bad stuff. There was a group who videoed themselves shooting guns into the air to ring in New Years. Oddly enough, they were gang members and the same police chef went and picked some of them up too. Apparently some of these folks were felons that were not supposed to have firearms. But yeah, go ahead and video that. Go figure.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:21 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
There's thousands of posts of folks doing illegal things every day. If the pd chased down every one that's all they'd do. Perhaps we should ask why there's so many victimless crimes?
Crimes that endanger public safety are not victimless.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

My son t boned someone when they ran a red light and was sued. The first thing the lawyer did was research son on social media. I’m sure if that had been his video it would have shown up in court. On thing my son was taught at an early age: don’t post anything you don’t want your mom to see.
lakerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Right. 120 MPH on a public road is a big deal. I would think that it would at least warrant a visit in which someone explains how dangerous it is.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #17

Geez, back in my day we had to be racing, side-by-side on a two lane road, past the police chief's house, to get a visit from him the next day.

Don't ask me how I know...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Like the war on plants that's been going on for 60+ years? The war that's put millions in prison for a plant? The war that separates families from each other and often leads to a impossible future; poor people unable to even get an education? The war that protects nobody from anything? It does support a false narrative to keep certain people in line. Those public interests?

That war is still going on with new actors. The same drug companies that brought you an opioid crisis are trying to make more plants illegal so they may poison millions saving them from an evil plant? Indeed we need a new drug that's more addictive and profitable. Who cares about the people who took it? Yeah, that's public safety. These are not victimless crimes, the victims end up in prison.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #19

[mod hat on]

And this has what to do with the thread about people posting videos of themselves being fools? Do try to keep it on topic and one's personal agenda out of it.

[mod hat off]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Like the war on plants that's been going on for 60+ years? The war that's put millions in prison for a plant? The war that separates families from each other and often leads to a impossible future; poor people unable to even get an education? The war that protects nobody from anything? It does support a false narrative to keep certain people in line. Those public interests?

That war is still going on with new actors. The same drug companies that brought you an opioid crisis are trying to make more plants illegal so they may poison millions saving them from an evil plant? Indeed we need a new drug that's more addictive and profitable. Who cares about the people who took it? Yeah, that's public safety. These are not victimless crimes, the victims end up in prison.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Right. 120 MPH on a public road is a big deal. I would think that it would at least warrant a visit in which someone explains how dangerous it is.
If it is a long stretch of empty highway, the guy might simply hurt himself only if he lost control.

However, above a certain overspeed, some jurisdictions raise the classification from a misdemeanor to "criminal speeding". That can cause some serious legal problems.

I heard the story of a foreigner who was on an H1B visa. For a vacation, he rented a car to drive to Las Vegas, and oversped. The police took him in, jailed him, and started the deportation proceeding. He was driven from jail to the airport, and never allowed to go back to his lodging to collect his belonging.

Could that be a hoax? Or his excessive speed was outrageous enough to warrant that? 150mph?