Join Early Retirement Today

Finally on the road
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally on the road

Well, I finally cut my strings from NYC and am on the road to Tucson. Between procrastinating and taking care of my Dad's future needs, I delayed my departure for the past 2 months I waited until I felt that my 95 yo Dad had acquired proper social services (he still lives alone) and my brothers who are nearby would finally assist our Dad with some of his life issues.
As far as the trip goes, I am making a beeline to AZ since my car is loaded with stuff and my 3 bikes. I don't use my car much and this is my 1st car trip in 10 years. I started out late yesterday in my 92 Camry. We did only 450 and my car and I did just fine. I-80 was a bit scary surrounded by all these fast moving sixteen wheelers.
Later.

Vagabond (MJ)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Finally on the road
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations and have a safe trip, Vagabond. Been a long time coming.

As a former Tucsonan, I am sure you'll love it but it sure is differrent from NYC. What part of Tucson will you be living in? We used to live in Sam Hughes, near the U. of Az. Favorite tavern: Bob Dobbs.

By the way, it's a dry heat.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Congratulations and have a safe trip, Vagabond. Been a long time coming.

As a former Tucsonan, I am sure you'll love it but it sure is differrent from NYC. What part of Tucson will you be living in? We used to live in Sam Hughes, near the U. of Az. Favorite tavern: Bob Dobbs.

By the way, it's a dry heat.
I am not planning to get an apartment yet. I will be staying for a month right now to establish my residency and get my health and auto insurance. I am thinking of going down to Mexico for awhile than probably head out to Thailand.

I spent the night near Okl City. I thought I would make better time yesterday. I hope to make 700 today. My 92 camry is doing real well for it's 1st very long trip but I am a bit paranoid about pushing it. The speed limits are very tempting at 75 mph is that pushing my 15 yo car with 106k too much. I was wondering if keeping my speed limit to 65-70 would be best?

Rich, Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 AM   #4

You're getting to live up to your name at last, vagabond. Happy Trails! and I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
My 92 camry is doing real well for it's 1st very long trip but I am a bit paranoid about pushing it. The speed limits are very tempting at 75* mph is that pushing my 15 yo car with 106k too much. I was wondering if keeping my speed limit to 65-70 would be best?
I got rid of my 1992 Camry when it began having minor problems close to the 200K mile mark, but until then everything was fine. I don't think it ever experienced any problems just because it was going over 70mph, but then it was used to highway driving.

Good luck with your travel plans, sounds like a nice change of scenery 8)
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hope you continue to have a safe trip - you do sound like your making good progress! Have you driven through anywhere that you thought was especially interesting? Keep us posted on your journey MJ!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #7

Petal to the metal vegabond! The camry should be fine going 75 - just keep the oil clean and cruise.
When you go through New Mexico make sure you enjoy the food...I really miss GOOD chili rellenos - NM has the best. I became a "chili head" and have chilis sent to me from Las cruces every year.
You are going to see alot of the USA - Enjoy...
Old 08-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Camry should handle New york to Arizona just fine ...but the Arizona to Thailand part might just do it in.

Good luck and happy trails to you.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #9

I wish I could have made it a leasurely trip but with a car fully loaded with of my personal possessions including sensitive material, and 3 bicycles, I felt too paranoid to stop and leave the car alone. My car is so loaded that I wouldn't have had any room for a willing, nubile 18 yo unless I started throwing out lots of stuff. Thank you lord for not testing me. For me this was a trip to get somewhere. I also wanted to get to Tucson ASAP to establish my residency.
Yesterday evening, I experienced some heavy and dangerous downpores passing Albuquerque. Listened to news about 15 motorist being stranded because of flash flooding. They had to request one child who got swept away. I would have loved to spend a couple of hours there but didn't want to chance it. I decided to drive until I got to Las Cruces but dark skies coupled with beautiful but scary lightning around me with occasional spurts of rain got me too jittery to continue, so after 70 miles of nervous driving, I stopped at a motel. With my LBYM full in gear still, I found a nice, clean motel for $32.

Well, enough chit chat, daylight is burning. I want to get to Tucson by the evening.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The forecast is for sunny and high 90s today, with a chance of T-storms late afternoon, just like every other day in July-Aug! Right now the humidity is 39%* !

MJ, what area of Tucson are you looking to reside in? Where in Mexico? (or is that one of those,"If I tell you I'll have to kill you" questions)

Rich-Bob Dobbs is still here, beer's still COLD!-and the Sam Hughes area just gets more and more expensive! It 's such a great neighborhood though.

Judy
Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV

Rich-Bob Dobbs is still here, beer's still COLD!-and the Sam Hughes area just gets more and more expensive! It 's such a great neighborhood though.
Good to hear! I miss the quirky quality of Sam Hughes. Worked at U. of A. so it was close. You could have an older established couple like us, in a pretty expensive house (though not fancy), right next door to 6 college kids renting a place, right next to a mansion. It had a slightly messy feel to it on some of streets, but that was just the way it was. Never felt unsafe at all, though there was the occasional burglary as in any city neighborhood.

If I ever moved back (not in the plans) I'd look there again, or in the similar Colonia Solana areas. Nice town.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I thought I would make better time yesterday. I hope to make 700 today. My 92 camry is doing real well for it's 1st very long trip but I am a bit paranoid about pushing it. The speed limits are very tempting at 75 mph is that pushing my 15 yo car with 106k too much.
Sold my 91 Camry last year at 190K+. She was still running great despite many pan-Western US trips and a few four-wheeling adventures (don't ask). I would have kept her longer but I wanted airbags and an air conditioner (she never had one).

I miss her sometimes, still...

I expect your Camry will do just fine! And... I'm jealous!

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote