Finally, we're both retired!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When I retired, DW told me she planned to keep working, even though I told her she didn't need to. I was absolutely sure after a couple of months of me wandering around the house in my fuzzy slippers (figuratively) while she was getting ready to head to work, she would say, 'OK, I want to retire too.' That was my plan, after 32 years of marriage, I knew better.

That was more than 7 years ago! Shows how clueless I [-]was[/-] am.

Her BS bucket finally overpowered her powerful work ethic (and even the convenience of having her own personal chef-shopper-launderer-landscaper-errand boy), and she gave notice Monday. There is no turning back.

I'm really looking forward to both of us being retired. It opens up lots of new possibilities for us, and maybe some new challenges.

Not sure why I posted this, just because...

Last edited:
You posted because you wanted to say "FINALLY", but not to your DW....

Congrats. We followed the same path, except my wife only worked 3 years after I retired. She had the same boss for 26 years and decided to retire same time as him. Otherwise she might still be working. She liked the routine and the social interaction. Her job was very low stress.

It definitely opens up new possibilities, like more flexibility to travel and do things spontaneously during the day. We ride our bikes together several times each week and work together on projects around the house. However, it's also the first time we've been around each other 24/7/365, which is not without some challenges. We each have individual activities that get us out of the house and out of each other's hair.

That is awesome and I wish both of you a great and long retirement.

My wife retired before me, and I see her less now since I'm retired, then when we both worked. Each are busy in our own ways. LOL

Congrats! You posted on here so you could cheer all of us up! :D

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Congrats Midpack. Now unto your move eastward.

Congratulations!

I am still chugging along while DW called it 10 years ago. It will be 14 years apart for us.

I understand completely. DW kept at it for 12 years after I retired. She certainly didn't need to, but she enjoyed the social aspects of her fairly low stress job so much she just didn't want to let go. Plus she just always had it fixed in her mind that one retired at 65, full stop.

But it all worked out great, during those years and since.

Congrats...that is fantastic!

My DW continues to w*rk as well, and I don't think that's going to end anytime soon. But, she does w*rk from home...so she says its almost like being "semi-retired" but still getting paid. I don't necessarily follow her logic, but it works for her and she seems content...so who am I to question it? :)

My husband is interviewing for a job after being retired for 6 years.

Congrats Midpack! May you find things to do together and apart. I’m grateful my DH is such a compatible hiking partner. He has both the fitness and the interest to pursue our adventures. Happy co-retirement!

Congrats! My DW is still working for perhaps 1.5 yrs. Our youngest kid will be on his own health insurance then as well. She's getting tired of working (mostly new boss) but has good co-workers.

Related topic for others perhaps reading this thread:
Can I Retire Yet? -- Exploring the Pros and Cons of Retiring Before Your Spouse
April 23, 2018 By Chris Mamula

https://www.caniretireyet.com/retiring-before-spouse/

When is her last day? Are you going to celebrate with a dinner or a pair of fuzzy slippers?

Congratulations, Midpack! I cannot wait for DH to retire so we can spend more time together.

Enjoy!!

Congratulations! However, I see no reason for her retirement to mean she has to give up the convenience of having her own personal chef-shopper-launderer-landscaper-errand boy.

Here's to many happy years of togetherness for you two!

Back
Top Bottom