"Financial Decadence" Cancels Prom

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
NY high school principal grows wary of affluent students spending thousands on parties, cancels prom.

“It is not primarily the sex/booze/drugs that surround this event, as problematic as they might be; it is rather the flaunting of affluence, assuming exaggerated expenses, a pursuit of vanity for vanity’s sake — in a word, financial decadence,” Hoagland said, fed up with what he called the “bacchanalian aspects.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9720858/

The term at my prom was more in the arena of "financial deprivation"... ;)

But I WANT them to spend. It keeps money moving in the economy. Plus, the more they spend, the less rich they are.

Well now that this guy is soon to be unemployed, perhaps we can help.
Put him in charge of ALL government spending!  Please!

I went to Catholic grammar school, high school and college. I think it is great the prom was canceled. The problem isn't the children but, the parents who allow it. I think the parents are living through the children.

I'll sound very old here - have you sceen the way highschool girls dress these days?
I don't know how a boy could pay attention in class.
I can't pay attention at my age.

At one point later in my life I was thinking of teaching high school. I went to a school to see talk with a teacher and spent a day in the school. Second old comment: they were mature beyond their years.

REWahoo! said:

The term at my prom was more in the arena of "financial deprivation"... ;)

The parents of our class came close to boycotting the Prom. The school decided to waive the $15.00 charge to get into the gym where the Prom was held. ;)(Logging town).

"Becky sure is purty, and has a great looking tooth". ;)

ex-Jarhead said:
"Becky sure is purty, and has a great looking tooth". ;)

Her sister Suellen was in my class. Some thought she was better lookin' than Becky, except for that wart on her nose.... ;)

Being Canadian, I never really understood what the heck a "prom" is. Is it supposed to be a graduation party?

Calgary_Girl said:
Being Canadian, I never really understood what the heck a "prom" is. Is it supposed to be a graduation party?

"A prom is a formal dance held at the end of the second-to-last and last years of high school, called junior prom and senior prom respectively." So says Wikipedia...

Calgary_Girl said:
Being Canadian, I never really understood what the heck a "prom" is.  Is it supposed to be a graduation party?
Oh calgary girl===my goodness, part of me says to give you my description of what a Canadian prom would be like, but a greater part of me says to be nice.  Maybe another time.
Did I mention I went to school with a bunch of Canadian hockey players on a full ride.  Talk about a rugged bunch.  OK guys come on,, lets cook the meat before we eat it :eek: :eek:

dex said:
At one point later in my life I was thinking of teaching high school.  I went to a school to see talk with a teacher and spent a day in the school. Second old comment: they were mature beyond their years.

My brother taught 12th and 13th grade English in Stratford Ontario back in 1968-69. Many will remember what skirts were like back then. My brother was 22- his students 18 and 19. He made the young women cover their laps with towels in his class. Sounds funny, and it would probably draw a lawsuit today. But it saved him a lot of stress.  :)

Ha

dex said:
...The problem isn't the children but, the parents who allow it.  I think the parents are living through the children.

I certainly agree with that. Parents paying for stretched Hummer Limo's, the whole bit.
"Oh, I want her to remember this her whole life, she only gets to do this once" - quite a few moms. Many moms go ga-ga over this - "oh, don't they look so cute together!". Even mom's of freshman and sophmore's pushing them to go to the prom. Used to be the prom was Seniors only. Now there are even Jr. High proms! Talk about sending mixed messages to kids - "don't get involved in sexual situations", "I want you to dress up and act like a tart, look better than so and so's daughter"   :p

What ever happened to the days when the prom was held in the gym and you spent all year preparing the decorations? None of this crap that goes on today, you went out to dinner after then to the beach, if you were lucky your parents let you stay out all night. Can't see that happening today, little Suzie would be mortified if her mother told her she couldn't go in a Hummer limo and rent the whole hotel for her and her friends for the night.

Cj

As the Father of 2 Teenage Daughters, I can attest that this is the sort of thing you have to deal with today.

Many of my older Daughter's friends received brand new cars on their 16 birthday while my daughter is driving the old family vehicle. Last year, she said to me: "I'm tired of being poor". My wife and I had to sit down with her and have a discussion about what being poor really meant. During that discussion, she finally seemed to come to the conclusion that driving anything (even the old piece of crap family car) sure beats walking.

Here's another interesting factoid: When we sat down to dinner the other night, she commented that none of her friend's families ate dinner together...

John

Here in my burb, the HS parking lots look like euro car dealerships...

OTOH, I was happy to have a '62 Belair!!

Our kids should get to share in our good fortune, assuming we have any, but many seem to have a sense of entitlement.

johnlw said:
As the Father of 2 Teenage Daughters, I can attest that this is the sort of thing you have to deal with today.

Many of my older Daughter's friends received brand new cars on their 16 birthday while my daughter is driving the old family vehicle.  Last year, she said to me: "I'm tired of being poor".  My wife and I had to sit down with her and have a discussion about what being poor really meant.  During that discussion, she finally seemed to come to the conclusion that driving anything (even the old piece of crap family car) sure beats walking.

Here's another interesting factoid:  When we sat down to dinner the other night, she commented that none of her friend's families ate dinner together...

John

Well john it sounds like you're doing a whole lot better than your parent peers on the car and dinner issue.  Keep it up, maybe it will prove to be contagious. 

I just went to the website for that school, you can download the letter sent out in March and the one sent in Sept. Very interesting reading.

Outtahere said:
What ever happened to the days when the prom was held in the gym and you spent all year preparing the decorations? None of this crap that goes on today, you went out to dinner after then to the beach, if you were lucky your parents let you stay out all night. 
Cj

Add an after prom party at a friends house, include everything else, and this was our prom exactly, had a great time!

Uncledrz

Our school didn't have a "prom"...

The fall dance was for the Sunshine Association (don't get me lyin'), and the spring dance was FHA (future homemakers - is that PC?).

Mostly a dull affair, with ill-fitting tuxes, carnations, and such, and maybe some groping in the back seat on a country road afterward...

No limos, hotels, beaches (not many in Indiana...)...

Pretty much a waste of time, IMV, but the social event of the year, nonetheless!!

Have Funds said:
Our school didn't have a "prom"...

The fall dance was for the Sunshine Association (don't get me lyin'), and the spring dance was FHA (future homemakers - is that PC?).

Mostly a dull affair, with ill-fitting tuxes, carnations, and such, and maybe some groping in the back seat on a country road afterward...

No limos, hotels, beaches (not many in Indiana...)...

Pretty much a waste of time, IMV, but the social event of the year, nonetheless!!

Come clean dude--You put up with all the crap for the groping didn't you:confused: :eek: :eek:

Guilty!!

You should see the tux I wore for the junior year (1970, btw).

U-G-L-Y...

As was my date...grope, grope.

"Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" - Meatloaf

Have Funds said:
Guilty!!

You should see the tux I wore for the junior year (1970, btw).

U-G-L-Y...

As was my date...grope, grope.

"Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" - Meatloaf

Sounds like the same tux I rented.  Was there a small mustard stain on the lower part of the crotch, right side?  :LOL:

I don't really remember "grope" being in the teen vocab back in the 70's.  Am I wrong or are you striving for a small measure of political correctness to cover your former bad conduct?  :eek:

Busted!

I think they called it "heavy petting", much of which happened on the bus on the return trip from away games.

You sure that was mustard? Looked like mayo to me...

REWahoo! said:
“It is not primarily the sex/booze/drugs that surround this event, as problematic as they might be;

So, is it too late to buy tickets?

And I'm guessing there's still plenty of space in that rental party house?

Back
Top Bottom