Join Early Retirement Today

Financial planner market finally being disrupted?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial planner market finally being disrupted?

Nice little article in the NY Times:

Yes, You Can Find a Financial Planner Even if You’re Not Rich
"There are precious few practitioners who will work with people who are not wealthy, or at least not without pushing questionable, commission-laden investments and insurance policies...So it was refreshing to find out recently that a fledgling collection of financial planners..."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/y...l-planner.html

The article goes on to talk mostly about XY Planning Network, but also references Garrett Planning Network and Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services. I hope this trend of lower cost and/or flat fee alternatives continues.

Side Note: I really enjoy reading Ron Lieber's "Your Money" column in the NY Times.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Though DIY investing is a favorite here, many (most?) folks consider investing as a task that they could not possibly tackle themselves.

Dr. Bernstein is often quoted as writing, "Dieting and investing are both simple, but neither is easy."

If you do not feel capable of reading a few good books on the subject, and do not mind sharing your investment wealth with others, by all means seek out the services of an advisor.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Dr. Bernstein is often quoted as writing, "Dieting and investing are both simple, but neither is easy."
That's a good quote, haha.

@mickeyd I'd add maybe two other opportunities for seeking a CFP:
  • Advice for complicated issues: stuff beyond simple asset allocation, portfolio testing and such (often one time / occasional issues)
  • Old age: I've seen some of my older relatives - that were OK managing their own portfolios - need help later in life
Human is offline   Reply With Quote