Financial planner market finally being disrupted?

Human

Recycles dryer sheets
Nice little article in the NY Times:

Yes, You Can Find a Financial Planner Even if You’re Not Rich
"There are precious few practitioners who will work with people who are not wealthy, or at least not without pushing questionable, commission-laden investments and insurance policies...So it was refreshing to find out recently that a fledgling collection of financial planners..."
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/your-money/financial-planner.html

The article goes on to talk mostly about XY Planning Network, but also references Garrett Planning Network and Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services. I hope this trend of lower cost and/or flat fee alternatives continues.

Side Note: I really enjoy reading Ron Lieber's "Your Money" column in the NY Times.

Though DIY investing is a favorite here, many (most?) folks consider investing as a task that they could not possibly tackle themselves.

Dr. Bernstein is often quoted as writing, "Dieting and investing are both simple, but neither is easy."

If you do not feel capable of reading a few good books on the subject, and do not mind sharing your investment wealth with others, by all means seek out the services of an advisor.

Dr. Bernstein is often quoted as writing, "Dieting and investing are both simple, but neither is easy."

That's a good quote, haha.

@mickeyd I'd add maybe two other opportunities for seeking a CFP:
  • Advice for complicated issues: stuff beyond simple asset allocation, portfolio testing and such (often one time / occasional issues)
  • Old age: I've seen some of my older relatives - that were OK managing their own portfolios - need help later in life

Back
Top Bottom