Find your dot

I am too impatient and have not waited long enough to see my dot on the map.

I have thought of a song to celebrate "Dot on the map", but couldn't find one, and doubt if there's any.

So, the closest thing I could think of was "Dust in the wind", presented in a more upbeat manner by Scorpions, a German band. Despite the accent of the singer, I like this band.

At the next census, will my dot stay?

SCORPIONS-Dust In The Wind - Scorpion-Acoustica# - YouTube

Last edited:
It seems the dots for the three adjacent apartment complexes I lived in were instead put over an area with some warehouse/commercial buildings and an assisted living complex. Close enough for this map.

The map doesn't go down to a level where I can identify more detail than vaguely finding my street which is in a sea of black dots. Maybe it works better for those in more rural areas

I have thought of a song to celebrate "Dot on the map", but couldn't find one, and doubt if there's any.

So, the closest thing I could think of was "Dust in the wind"

Maybe a Weird Al parody... "Dots on the map... all we are [-]is[/-] (are?) dots on the map..."

I don't think the map is that accurate. Entire city blocks downtown show no dots, when in reality there are tons of homeless sleeping on the streets. Same with the neighborhood park up the street. They did get it right with the bus stop bench and the woods behind the grocery store - plenty of dots in there! :)

I think they must do some averageing. There were dots near my house that are public park/public schools. And yes - there's a homeless encampment in the canyon behind the park... but not enough people living there to account for the number of dots.

No dots shown on the military base near me - even though there are barracks and base houses.

No dots shown in my work area - even though there are a few small condo developments scattered in with the tech center campuses.

No dots shown on the beach - and that's a famous homeless encampment choice in San Diego. (If you're going to be homeless - why not enjoy the sound of the surf to put you to sleep.

The census places people by their address, which is grouped into blocks as explained in the link. So, it is not to the address level as I hoped.

And as I had two homes, I only reported at what I considered my main home, else I would be counted twice. So, no two dots for me, although I could cheat and the Census was none the wiser.

I try again and do not see that I can zoom in close enough to really place me in my home.

Back
Top Bottom