Find your dot

I think? It would only zoom in so far, and then it takes a while for the map to fill in after each level of zoom. Some of the map near my house never did fill in. BUT, I think I found my block, at least. Pretty cool! :)

Thanks REW. I couldn't find my individual dot, as the area I live in is too densely-populated and the map doesn't quite zoom in close enough, but fun and cool nevertheless.

Hint to those about to attempt it - click on the link at the upper top right-hand corner of the page to show labels, and as W2R said, be patient, as the server is rather slow.

As Major Tom suggested, click on the "show labels" link, and be patient, very patient. I was able to identify the block where I lived at the time of the census but it seemed the residents/dots were located at varying distances from the street. Back bedroom, front bedroom? I really wonder whether all the residents of the block were counted, as the number of dots seemed a little low. It was interesting to identify a block in my residential neighborhood which was very dense due to a specific apartment building. Anyhow, it's cool, and interesting to view yourself at a moment in time and location. Thanks for posting.

Addendum: I looked at my current neighbourhood and things just don't make sense. I think the streets and postal codes are out of date.

Last edited:
Lost patience with the time it took to load the page as I zoomed in or scrolled around. Fuggetaboutit!

I counted all the dots on the map and was three short... guess I will have to recount.... :facepalm:

Why is DW's dot bigger than mine?

I found what should be our dots, except that the map shows an extra dot for our house/property. Either that or the number of dots for our neighbor is missing quite a few.

Tyro

Found where my dot was supposed to be. But there were no dots on my side of the street. Also, lots of dots scattered throughout the woods behind our house even though it is a nature preserve.

Found mine and DWs. Hers still looks good after all these years. :)

I am wondering what is the interest of creating and maintaining such a map? ["REWahoo"]Zoom in and find your dot, I found mine.

Census Dotmap[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Ok. Accessing the site from my iPhone on my way to work so I did not see the 'Why' but will check tonight from my PC. Thank you.
REWahoo said:
Look in the column on the right under "Why?" and you'll find your answer.

Found our dots. Pretty neat.

I guess only geeks would appreciate this.

I don't think the map is that accurate. Entire city blocks downtown show no dots, when in reality there are tons of homeless sleeping on the streets. Same with the neighborhood park up the street. They did get it right with the bus stop bench and the woods behind the grocery store - plenty of dots in there! :)

I found my block by zooming the map as far as it would go, and then zooming my browser to look even closer, but couldn't zoom enough to see my individual dot.

Very cool. There are so many creative people out there willing to share their work.
And thank you for sharing the link.

Thanks for posting this.

I was going to start a thread with another very cool map, but I did a search and found that REWahoo started a thread for this one, too (last year). But I'll repeat it here, because it remains one of my favorites. It is a wind map for the lower 48 states, and it was done as an art project.

Wind Map

There is a golf course near my house which is divided by a north/south road. The map shows no dots on the west side of the road, but the east side is full of dots. So, the info is "somewhat" accurate. Still, it is informative from an "out in space" perspective.

There is a golf course near my house which is divided by a north/south road. The map shows no dots on the west side of the road, but the east side is full of dots. So, the info is "somewhat" accurate. Still, it is informative from an "out in space" perspective.

Those are the golf balls that you lost!

:LOL:

I was going to start a thread with another very cool map, but I did a search and found that REWahoo started a thread for this one, too (last year). But I'll repeat it here, because it remains one of my favorites. It is a wind map for the lower 48 states, and it was done as an art project.

Wind Map
+1

That is a very cool map, especially in the winter. :)

I refer to it before hitting the road in the RV. Tells me what sort of fuel mileage to expect...

Back
Top Bottom