Finder Tags

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yesterday, my wallet slipped out of my pants (due to a poor quality Velcro pocket flap). Even knowing that it had to be in the house, we spent an unpleasant thirty minutes to find it (in the recliner).

I'm going to buy a Bluetooth finder thing. I'll get a Tile Pro because even though it's thicker than the Tile Slim, the slim gets bad reviews and doesn't have replaceable batteries.

I have Click 'n Digs on the two LEAF key fobs. I have to check the batteries every month.

Ironically, I have two more Click 'n Digs, but I can't find them!

Anyone use these things?

Yesterday, my wallet slipped out of my pants (due to a poor quality Velcro pocket flap). Even knowing that it had to be in the house, we spent an unpleasant thirty minutes to find it (in the recliner).

I'm going to buy a Bluetooth finder thing. I'll get a Tile Pro because even though it's thicker than the Tile Slim, the slim gets bad reviews and doesn't have replaceable batteries.

I have Click 'n Digs on the two LEAF key fobs. I have to check the batteries every month.

Anyone use these things?

Wow, I never knew they had such things. That would save me a lot of time. I am ordering some right away, if I could just find my wallet.........

I have Tiles on my keys, my partner's keys, and in both our wallets. It's come in handy a few times...although I mostly got it for my partner!

The biggest drawback is that the Tile app has to sense the Tile tag within Bluetooth range. But if you left your wallet at work, the Tile app will tell you where it last sensed your tag. Or if it's in a commercial building, once you mark it as lost, anyone with the Tile app on their phone can anonymously detect it for you, but that depends a lot on how busy the location is. But if you retrace your steps, you should be able to get within range of it, so it's better than digging through every nook and cranny. It basically plays hot-and-cold with you! :D

After losing my wallet forever at CVS several years ago, I now keep my wallet clipped to my purse with a sturdy, strong tether and clip that are part of the purse and came with it. So now, I never have to worry about dropping or misplacing my wallet.

Of course this does not solve the potential problem of misplacing my purse! :ROFLMAO: So far, so good.

I'd think that it would be fairly easy for a guy to tether a wallet to his belt somehow. I doubt anybody would notice. But if anybody did, you could put on your toughest face, stare him down with that thousand yard stare, and say in a gravely voice, "Whatsit to you, you got a problem wid dat?". ;)

After losing my wallet forever at CVS several years ago, I now keep my wallet clipped to my purse with a sturdy, strong tether and clip that are part of the purse and came with it. So now, I never have to worry about dropping or misplacing my wallet.

Of course this does not solve the potential problem of misplacing my purse! :ROFLMAO: So far, so good.

I'd think that it would be fairly easy for a guy to tether a wallet to his belt somehow. I doubt anybody would notice. But if anybody did, you could put on your toughest face, stare him down with that thousand yard stare, and say in a gravely voice, "Whatsit to you, you got a problem wid dat?". ;)

Like this:

154-146_A.jpg

Like this:
RIGHT!!! Exactly. That would work perfectly, IMO. Or, if the belt was thin enough, maybe the clip itself would fit directly on the belt without having to use that loop. Depends on the belt.

I don't carry my wallet at home, no need to. It's always in the same place unless I go out. Then I usually wear it in a front pocket safety pinned shut. Same with keys and other pocket trash.

What's that 1st rule...Keep Your Money in Your Front Pocket ;)

_B

Lot's of "truckers' wallets" are made this way. A long sturdy chain attaches the wallet to a belt. Nobody much who wants to live is going to stare, and besides, I never see people staring anymore. It is impolite, and too often dangerous. I don't use one and I have not lost my billfold in ~50 years. A lot of it is attitude.

Ha

Last edited:
I don't carry my wallet at home, no need to. It's always in the same place unless I go out. Then I usually wear it in a front pocket safety pinned shut. Same with keys and other pocket trash.

What's that 1st rule...Keep Your Money in Your Front Pocket ;)

_B
The only time I ever got picked off was at Keeneland racecourse in the spring of 1961. Ever since my billfold is small, and living in my front pocket where I can sense its presence.

Ha

I have the tile. It worked around the house but not with the group find thing when they were joseled loose in a kerfuffle.

I just used my Tile 5 minutes ago to find my cell phone. I have Tiles with replaceable batteries. Started out with regular tiles (now called tile slim). I looked into tile pro, but I didn't see the advantage, so didn't bother with the extra expense. I can use my phone to find my keys, wallet, and checkbook. And can find my phone from any one of these devices. Huge time saver.

I really like them. It makes things easy to locate when they fall to the bottom of a bag or a backpack, for example. Or when somebody (me) places all the mail on top of my phone on the counter. :facepalm:

My cell phone dropped out of my pocket on the Tejas trail in Guadalupe National Park and I didn't notice until a few hours and several miles later. Someone found it and turned it in to the Visitor Center and I got it back the next day. Since the location was well out of cell phone coverage I was fortunate.

I dropped together from a back pocket a credit card, a $20 bill, and a $5 bill while running in my area. Someone found them, called me up, and I got them back that evening.

Anyways, I am just going to trust my good luck going forward.

I got a Tile Pro. The hardware seems good, but the interface is a little flaky/poorly designed.

Here's the problem: When it's in my wallet, the sound is muffled so you can only hear it from a few feet away. I'm working on a solution to that (new wallet, sew it onto the outside, dangle it on outside?).

Anyone use these things?
Maybe we can use them on trackers on disappearing dogs and teenagers.

I tested it today, and it didn't find the tile, even when it was right next to the phone. They're sending me a new one.

An example of the poor instructions. They say "Walk around until your Tile turns green ..."

I have a feeling that's not going to happen.

DH was out running errands recently. I needed to leave for an appointment within 30 minutes.

Spent 15 minutes in an increasingly-frantic search for my keys. (Absent-minded-me often misplaces things, but rarely wallet or keys.)

DH gets home. I tell him I've lost my keys. He admits he had mistakenly taken mine. (At least he didn't try to gaslight me by putting them where I usually leave them.)

My key-ring now sports an enameled Hello Kitty character fob.

DH was out running errands recently. I needed to leave for an appointment within 30 minutes.

Spent 15 minutes in an increasingly-frantic search for my keys. (Absent-minded-me often misplaces things, but rarely wallet or keys.)

DH gets home. I tell him I've lost my keys. He admits he had mistakenly taken mine. (At least he didn't try to gaslight me by putting them where I usually leave them.)

My key-ring now sports an enameled Hello Kitty character fob.

Good idea!

Here's my set-up, with wallet and keys attached to my purse with a fob (that came with the purse). Works for me - - but I need the Hello Kitty fob! :LOL: Or even better, a fob with Isabelle from my Animal Crossing game. Anyway, despite being 70 years old with crummy vision and shockingly absent-minded, I haven't lost either wallet or keys in several years since I started using this set-up. Normally all this stuff is tucked into the zippered pocket that you can see in the photo. Problem solved.

Links to wallet and purse shown:
Wallet
Purse

PS - - Al, sorry about the thread drift! But I thought this might be helpful to some of our female members. Sorry your high tech solution isn't working as expected but hopefully you will get something figured out.

Attachments

• Purse&wallet_ small.jpg
    Purse&wallet_ small.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 130
Good system, W2R.

UPDATE:

The new one they sent works fine. These things do the job, once you figure out the interface. For example, it isn't even clear that it can tell you how far away the tile is, and once you realize that, the display has little meaning. For example, here are two examples of the display:

16iPpib.png

xT02orw.png

Can you tell which means close and which means far? I can't. Being an ex-software-developer and a curmudgeon, I couldn't help but mock up a suggestion and sent it to the company:

uWqD3gg.png

But they work well enough. The batteries are replaceable and should last a year. I bought two more (#blowthedough), so I have one on my wallet, one on Lena's keys, and one on my keys:

VQFEeSc.png

We rarely misplace keys, but in this electronic fob era, you can't just make some spares. Lose a fob and it costs > $200 to replace it.

I ziptie a tile to my wallet so that it will be louder if I have to ring it.

The Click-n-dig solution was limited. If we lost the keys at Starbucks, for example, we'd have to go home and get the clicker and go back. With the current system, Lena or I can use our phone to find the missing item.

I received one from a friend as a gift. I put it on my key ring and it of course is linked to my phone. Seems to work pretty well...

I just kind of wonder how people lose their keys or wallet. Mine are either in my pocket, in the ignition or in the place I keep them. They are never anywhere else.

Now my glasses, OTOH, are misplaced daily. Why? I seldom need them, except when I do. So they are on for driving off for reading, on for TV off for computer work. So they could be on my desk, night stand, by sink, by computer, dresser, etc. I need some better habits there.

Solving the fundamental problem like this seems more robust than trying to locate wallet once out of pocket and anywhere. Putting in front pocket also seems robust........esp. w/ jeans where the pocket opens on the top and fat wallets are sometimes a challenge to remove.......seems helpful against pickpockets.

Maybe a little off topic, but if you're like me, you carry a number of different items in your wallet. Just in case... I've copied the fronts and backs of all cards that I carry... License, Medicare, Credit Card, pics, list of important (to me) info, Social Security, Passes to Woodhaven, voter ID ... etc....

Yes, I know that if someone picks up my wallet, there may be some risk involved, but the license alone gives out enough info a savvy person to get into most of the rest of the items. The copied info makes it easier to call and cancel whatever may cause a problem.

BTW... the last time I lost my wallet, was when I was in high school, in 1953. Two $1 bills. :)

Last edited:
I think it's more common to lose the phone. Can the tile ring the phone ?

I have google find my phone and ring it for me. I can just type "google where's my phone" from any other device and it finds it and makes it ring if i'd like.

Back
Top Bottom