Fire extinguisher recall

I just checked an old extinguisher on the Kidde website. They will be sending a new one in 15 to 20 days. No charge

Also this affects both plastic handle and push button extinguishers.

Last edited:
One of the three extinguishers in my house was affected by the recall, and Kidde will be sending me a new one.

In struggling to read the fine print (which was light blue on white :mad:), I noticed a requirement to replace the extinguisher once it's 12 years old. I slipped back into my old w*rk habit of studying NFPA codes, and I also found out that any dry chem extinguisher made prior to 1984 should also be replaced.

Just a bit of a PSA.

Thank you for posting. I have one on the recall list.

One of the three extinguishers in my house was affected by the recall, and Kidde will be sending me a new one.

In struggling to read the fine print (which was light blue on white :mad:), I noticed a requirement to replace the extinguisher once it's 12 years old. I slipped back into my old w*rk habit of studying NFPA codes, and I also found out that any dry chem extinguisher made prior to 1984 should also be replaced.

Just a bit of a PSA.

I too struggled trying to make sense of the very confusing recall website of Kidde. Finally, concluded that my model is a "pro" model and not on that list....I hope :(.

Actually, I was referring to the fine print on the extinguisher itself, but I have to agree the website could be clearer. I found it especially hard, even after I could read the text on the FE, to figure out where the heck the model number was. And I was a fire protection engineer who dealt with this sort of stuff every day.

The only bit of confusion I ran into is that my extinguisher had 2 slightly different model numbers. One below the other. I flipped a coin and entered one. After I submitted the info, the site confirmed I'd have a new extinguisher delivered in 15 to 20 business days.

Thanks for this! I have two Kidde and plan to check numbers tomorrow.

The only bit of confusion I ran into is that my extinguisher had 2 slightly different model numbers. One below the other. I flipped a coin and entered one. After I submitted the info, the site confirmed I'd have a new extinguisher delivered in 15 to 20 business days.

For units with multiple model numbers listed on the label, it says "Select first model number on list."

This is a big one, so if you have a fire extinguisher in your home with plastic handles, please check the label for the model number and mfg date and replace it if needed.

Kidde Recalls Fire Extinguishers with Plastic Handles

Thanks for the reminder. Just checked. Had 2 of the affected fire extinguishers.

Old. One 2002, the other a Sears model, even older. Went to Kiddie
website. Filled out the forms. Should be receiving replacements in 15 to
20 days. :flowers:

I have four of them to be replaced and sent in my request. I wonder what will be the method of getting rid of the bad ones? They don't say. I also wonder if the company will stay solvent after such a large recall?

I also wonder if the company will stay solvent after such a large recall?

I was wondering the same thing. 40 million extinguishers are recalled and even if only half of them file a claim for replacement, that's a huge hit for both the cost of new units and the associated shipping.

Due to the provisions of Public Law 87-413.12, Section 396, you will be required to take the old units to your nearest certified emptying and disposal center and obtain a certificate of acceptance. That certificate (EPA Form 6145-7) must be filed with your 2017 tax return on penalty of forfeiture of all income included in your AGI for the year.

Certified centers are conveniently located in the Azores for those east of the Mississippi and Samoa for those west of the Mississippi. Hours are from 11:30 am until noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Due to the provisions of Public Law 87-413.12, Section 396, you will be required to take the old units to your nearest certified emptying and disposal center and obtain a certificate of acceptance. That certificate (EPA Form 6145-7) must be filed with your 2017 tax return on penalty of forfeiture of all income included in your AGI for the year.

Certified centers are conveniently located in the Azores for those east of the Mississippi and Samoa for those west of the Mississippi. Hours are from 11:30 am until noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

=====================

The company called and will issue us round trip tickets to the Azores to dispose of the offending extinguishers. I am taking my snorkel gear.

Kidde is a huge company in the fire protection business that’s been around for quite a while (100 years). Actually, they’re a part of United Technologies. I’m not worried about them. Not sure I’ll hold my breath to receive my replacement in two weeks, however.

Huh...that's funny. I just got a call from a Nigerian Prince. They will take them for free but only charge a $9.99 Admin fee. Just include your bank routing number and he takes care of everything. So nice. He sounded like Eddie Murphy.

@braumeister I think you got a shiester on your line

I received the following email today from Kidde saying my replacement FE is on backorder. Not surprising considering the huge scope of the recall.

Thank you for participating in Kidde’s fire extinguisher replacement program. Customer safety is our priority and we are pleased by the strong response to our recall announcement. However, due to high demand the most comparable replacement for your unit is backordered.

We regret any inconvenience this has caused and are working diligently to fulfill your order as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

I have about 25 of these. It will be interesting to see how Kidde recommends to replace them.

I do not want to take them out of my rentals until I get the new one. Even a bad one is better than none.

I received the replacement for the smaller of my two recalled extinguishers within a week. A week or two later, the larger one came. The larger one came with precise instructions on how to send the old one back.

Careful how you open it! You have to save ALL the packaging material.

Once properly packaged, I had to call FedEx for a pickup, following the script in the instructions. The local shipping storefront place didn't handle FedEx, and didn't know anyone in the area who did, so I had no choice. But they came and got it no problem.

The smaller one came with no such instructions, so I assume they don't think it's worth it to return. Or maybe it was in there and I missed it.

The local shipping storefront place didn't handle FedEx, and didn't know anyone in the area who did, so I had no choice.

FWIW, some Walgreens stores will take prepaid Fedex packages to send off. Just had to do that the other day. I brought it to the local UPS store where the counter clerk cheerfully directed me to the Walgreens down the street.

Back
Top Bottom