Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First: The Turtles and The Who - they were an odd combination to be touring together.

Best: hard to choose, but one of these 3: Janis Joplin, Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zepplin

Worst: probably a second concert I saw with Jimi Hendrix. He played twice that evening and since I worked at the venue, I got to see both shows. The first was fabulous, impressive and I loved it. The second show of the night was sloppy, incoherent and boring. He had obviously either gotten very drunk or high between sets and could barely play or even stay upright. It was very disappointing.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut

Besides the stones in 1972, I was at that outdoor concert (Hawthorne Park??) in 1976. Went primarily to see Frampton and Yes but thought LS (as the 2nd act) blew everybody off the stage. We actually left during Yes's set since we were beat to hell, dehydrated etc.. If I remember correctly, it was a very hot day.
Yes it was at Hawthorne and very hot. Lots of people in the medical tents suffering from dehydration- and other things. Lots of scantily clad girls. It was a great time. We went mostly to see Frampton also and you're right- Skynyrd was the best.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_
First - Janis Joplin
Me too!

Worst concert was a "taste of...." suburban festival with a "mamas and the papas" group--papa Denny, Scott Mackenzie, I think Mackenzie Phillips and some random woman singer. It really wasn't that bad but obviously just a chance to make a little money (they got us to drive 30 miles--dh is a huge m&p fan). The audience was rather elderly with many walkers and portable oxygen (aging demographic in this town) so not a lot of "dancing in the street."
Old 10-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regrettably I haven't been to as many concerts as some of you (LBYM). All that I can remember of big name rock & roll/pop acts (in random order):
The Who
Sting (3)
The Police
Donna Summer (DW)
Elton John
Jethro Tull (2)
James Taylor
America
Styx
Stephen Stills
Devo
Santana
Phil Collins
Sheryl Crow
Bryan Adams
Jimmy Buffett (6)
Cheap Trick
Yes
Don Henley
Kenny Loggins

We've been to quite a few classical/orchestral concerts and stage plays too, but I'm not counting them on this thread...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
First: The Turtles and The Who - they were an odd combination to be touring together.
I saw The Who for the first time when they were the opening act for Herman's Hermits. I don't think that arrangement lasted very long as most people, me included, left the concert after The Who were done. I could see where The Who would be a hard act to follow.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I saw The Who for the first time when they were the opening act for Herman's Hermits. I don't think that arrangement lasted very long as most people left the concert after The Who were done. I could see where The Who would be a hard act to follow.
IIRC, Hendrix first toured with The Monkees...

In the movie Great Balls of Fire, Jerry Lee was POed about being warm-up for Chuck Berry, so he played one hell of a set, then lit his piano afire. In the movie, at least, when he walked off stage, he told Chuck to "top that"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Me too!

Worst concert was a "taste of...." suburban festival with a "mamas and the papas" group--papa Denny, Scott Mackenzie, I think Mackenzie Phillips and some random woman singer. It really wasn't that bad but obviously just a chance to make a little money (they got us to drive 30 miles--dh is a huge m&p fan). The audience was rather elderly with many walkers and portable oxygen (aging demographic in this town) so not a lot of "dancing in the street."
Sure those weren't full of nitrous?

Urban Dictionary: whip-it

Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

First - Johnny Cash and the Tenesse Three (or was it Two?), Theatre-in-the-Round, Nanuet NY, 1969 or thereabouts. June Carter Cash was unable to perform, family illness.
Best - Harry Chapin, Delhi State College, 1976.
Worst - Peter Frampton, Binghamton Arena, 1979. He was great, but the kid who puked (drunk) one row away from me kinda killed the fun.

Others performances (many free at the Great NYS Fair) - Chubby Checker, Charlie Daniels Band, Crosby Stills & Nash, Woodstock 99 East stage lineup (James Brown, Alanis Morissette, Dave Matthews Band, Sheryl Crow, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Jewel), Joni Mitchell, Richie Havens, Heart, Jethro Tull, Air Supply, Joan Jett, Willie Nelson and Friends, Judy Collins, Neil Young, Peter Paul & Mary, Aretha Franklin, BB King, Radio City Music Hall tribute to Frank Sinatra, Jesus Christ Superstar (recast with original cast member for Jesus), Nutcracker with Moscow Ballet, Bill Staines (amazing yodeller), plus numerous coffee house performers at SUNY Oneonta 1976-1979.

Wow, I've been to a lot!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

First was Fleetwood Mac back when Stevie Nicks would have made me break out one of the good spatulas. Last and best was Jethro Tull at the Orpheum in Boston...the venue was so small the band started running around with champagne glasses and bottles towards the end and we all toasted the finale. Very cool.

Van Halen back in '85 was also quite good.

I was a band killer for a while...I forget who I saw but they were major and three I saw in a row broke up soon thereafter. So those were the worst, and I was disallowed from concertgoing after that. About the same time I was disallowed from dating waitresses, but thats another story.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
First was Fleetwood Mac back when Stevie Nicks would have made me break out one of the good spatulas. Last and best was Jethro Tull at the Orpheum in Boston...the venue was so small the band started running around with champagne glasses and bottles towards the end and we all toasted the finale. Very cool.

Van Halen back in '85 was also quite good.

I was a band killer for a while...I forget who I saw but they were major and three I saw in a row broke up soon thereafter. So those were the worst, and I was disallowed from concertgoing after that. About the same time I was disallowed from dating waitresses, but thats another story.
And you all were toasted by the finale...

Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
That was some time ago, so unless it was an odd night, we were all toasted before we went in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Just at one Little Feat concert where BYOB was allowed. I was the guy in the crowd yelling Cabernet.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #73

First & Best: Goose Creek Symphony (1968?) maybe it was GF's 'special' brownies that we took for snacks

Worst: Gordon Lightfoot (about the same time) he was so drunk/stoned he fell offf the stage, concert ended

Other good ones: John Prine/Steve Goodman, Stones (outside in a Cdn Dec.), Leneord Cohen, Joni Mitchell (in her home town), Dr. Hook
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny

I felt like a band killer for awhile, too. About a month after seeing Janis Joplin and then later, Jimi Hendrix, they each died. It was spooky.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

First - Jethro Tull, ~1975

Best - Queen, 1977. It was just awesome!

Worst - maybe the Beach Boys - it wasn't my idea to go LOL!

Honorable mentions: Frank Zappa(1981), U2 (1982) and The Police (1980)

Too bad I missed the 1994 Pink Floyd Pulse tour!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
First & Best: Goose Creek Symphony (1968?) maybe it was GF's 'special' brownies that we took for snacks

Worst: Gordon Lightfoot (about the same time) he was so drunk/stoned he fell offf the stage, concert ended

Other good ones: John Prine/Steve Goodman, Stones (outside in a Cdn Dec.), Leneord Cohen, Joni Mitchell (in her home town), Dr. Hook
Don't know many who've heard of GCS...

Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
First: Shin-Dig 1965 or 1966 (Tom Jones headlined, Everly Brothers,Turtles and many more) - parents took the family (older sister had to see Tom Jones)

Best: Tie - Jethro Tull (Passion Play) 1974, Led Zeppelin 1974 or 1975, and
ZZ Top 1976 (they were fading out, less than 1000 people at 15000 seat coliseum, but they really got everyone dancing)

Worst: Counting Crows
ZZ Top just played here on Oct 3rd. My son was on the lighting crew and he said it was a great concert. Sold out show, here's a review with pictures -
Concert Review and Slideshow: ZZ Top at Akron Civic Theatre | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog

I also saw Jethro Tull do Passion Play in the 70's. I was a big fan at the time. We also saw the Thick as a Brick concert and I think I liked that one better.

Best was Heart a few years ago. They played with Journey at the outdoor summer concert venue where I am an usher. Journey was very good but Heart was amazing.

Worst was Maroon5 in 2004. They opened for John Mayer. Mayer was excellent and Maroon5 was tired, boring and seemed like playing those songs again was the last thing they wanted to do. I like a lot of Maroon5's songs but this time they were having a bad night.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #78
Dryer sheet aficionado

First: Elton John 1976

Best: Josh Groban
Jgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

First - The Kingston Trio, 1964, Orchestra Hall, Chicago

Best - Bob Dylan solo and totally acoustic, 1965, Orchestra Hall, Chicago

Worse - Judy Collins, 1985, Ravinia, Chicago

DW and I have gone to an awful lot of concerts. As dating teenagers in Chicago, we saw every popular folk group that passed through. Dylan, The Kingston Trio, The Limelighters, PP&M, Chad Mitchell Trio, We Five, The Seekers, Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Josh White, Odetta, Ian and Sylvia, Doc Watson, John Prine, Gordon Lightfoot, The Clancy Brothers, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, etc., at major venues. Dozens of others at the Chicago folk clubs in Old Town. We took in live music at least once a week as high school juniors and seniors.

We enjoyed them all and it's really tough to point to a favorite. The least enjoyed, Judy Collins on a come-back tour at Ravinia, was simply because she seemed a bit full of herself and more interested in telling stories of her past success than in performing. But it was still a pretty good show.

While we still enjoy seeing the folkies on their reunion tours (many are dead or not performing now), we added Blue Grass, jazz and Celtic to the mix and see a dozen or so concerts annually.

There are a number of rock groups we enjoy, but haven't attended many concerts because we frequently don't enjoy the venues (ball parks, stadiums, etc). But we've seen Chicago, Jefferson Airplane, Blondie, and a bunch of local groups in clubs.

We bought a little RV three years ago and started to develop conflicts between concert dates and camping trips. Buying tickets early to get good seats and putting a dozen or so concert dates on your calendar makes it hard to be available when friends call and want to spend a few days camping someplace. So, we've let the concert calendar really thin out lately. But I think I'll get busy and look at what's available for this winter as we really like live music, large venue or club.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Interesting the comments on larger venues. I think that I've gotten to the point that I really don't want to see anyone in a massive venue.

Zac Brown is doing the Southern Ground Music Festival here in Chucktown this weekend and I'm skipping. The tix are $70 per day now, and it is a big soccer stadium where they're playing. There are some great bands coming, don't get me wrong: Grace Potter, Charlie Daniels, Zac Brown themselves, Michael Franti, JJ Grey and Mofro, Gregg Allman, and more. But, I just can't bring myself to go jostle among the GP, however good the music.

Me, I'd rather drag myself out on a Tuesday night to see James McMurtry play at a smoky little venue on the next island over, for $15 or so, with a hundred people in attendance. I have seen quite a few of the acts coming this weekend, but all at outdoor festivals where you could move around the field rather than be confined to rows of seats. I guess it is the hooper in me, but I can't just sit/stand there.

I did go see John Prine in our medium size concert hall a number of years ago, and Willie Nelson in the bigger one even longer ago. But not my favorite way to hear music.

Anyone else feel that way about venue size?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote