First, Best, and Worst music concert

grasshopper

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First Jefferson Airplane, 22 March 1970 Baltimore Civic Center.

Best Allman Brothers, Band 9 October 1971 Winterland SF CA 2 weeks before Duane died.

Cat Fish Hodge, Warner Theater DC 10 May 1976 warmup for Little Feat, which could have been my best concert.

Last edited:
First: aforementioned Paul Young (no accounting for taste at 13).
Best: Jimmy Buffett, playing a tiny theater in Charleston as a benefit post-Hugo 1989, solo acoustic, and the first show I went to with my DH while we were dating.
Worst: Dave Matthews Band. Went with a friend who loves him. Me, not so much.

I saw a couple of charity concerts - Toys for Tots - in the late 60s, but only remember a couple of names: Classics IV and Joe South...

First: Steppenwolf, 1970, excellent show by one of my all-time favs
Best: Virtual tie between Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa, both 1977 (have seen both multiple times, but this was the first time for both)
Worst: Kiss, 1974; major suckage...

First: Frank Zappa (off to a good start) 1973
Best: Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies & concert #2
Honorable Mention to Yes in 1974 and Harry Chapin
Worst: Ozark Mountain Daredevils

T-bird

First....Grand Funk Railroad...1974

Best....Eagles....1977

Worst...Three Dog Night...1980 somethin' or other. I think a dog was missing.

Last edited:
First -- Charlie Daniels Band/Molly Hatchet - summer 1977 -- outdoors at Southern Ill. U. Carbondale

Best -- Bruce Springsteen -- summer 1981 -- at the Capital Centre Wash. DC

Worst -- Jefferson Starship: The Next Generation - mid 2000s-- at the Milford Oyster Festival

Last edited:
First: Iron Butterfly at the Fillmore East in NYC

Best: A tie, based on my changing tastes over the years: Led Zeppelin circa 1974 at Nassau Colosseum, and Peter Gabriel about 6 years ago.

Worst: Jefferson Airplane - a bunch of us drove from Brooklyn NY to Philadelphia to se them and were extremely disappointed. In fairness to them, I saw them again (as Jefferson Starship) a few years after that and it was pretty good.

First- Newport Jazz Festival Freebody Park... 1955 I think... Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and... and... can't remember :)
We were outside the park standing on the roof of our 1941 Nash... looking through the wire fence.

Second .. Harry Belafonte at Saratoga Performing Arts... probably in 1966 or 1967.... the year after it opened.

Third and last... The Carpenters... also at Saratoga Performing Arts... 1972.

We're old school... pre 1970... only concerts are 4th of July Municipal Concerts in Dixon, Il, or Maude Powell concerts in Peru.. IL.

Last edited:
First: Shin-Dig 1965 or 1966 (Tom Jones headlined, Everly Brothers,Turtles and many more) - parents took the family (older sister had to see Tom Jones)

Best: Tie - Jethro Tull (Passion Play) 1974, Led Zeppelin 1974 or 1975, and
ZZ Top 1976 (they were fading out, less than 1000 people at 15000 seat coliseum, but they really got everyone dancing)

Worst: Counting Crows

First was Willie Nelson....free tixs
Best was Styx (with REO and Journey)
Worst was Neil diamond....free tixs...still "so good, so good, so good" though.

U2
Roger Whittaker - bday present to my mum
Jimmy Buffet concert I got kicked out of - with valid reason.

First - Stones in 1972 at Int'l Amphitheater (Chicago)

Best - Above and the Who in 1975 at Chicago Stadium

Worst - Jimmy Buffet at Wrigley Field (2005??). Have to admit I am not a Buffet fan.

Thought about all the concerts I've been to over the years. In no particular order...

Grand Funk Railroad

Three Dog Night

Andrew Gold (opened for)….Eagles

Iron Butterfly (got to meet the band members, got autographs and had a beer with Doug Ingle
)
Burton Cummings

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Dave Mason

Pure Prairie League

Lobo

Allman Bros

Little Feat

Huey Lewis and the News

Moody Blues
(tied 1st place with Eagles)
Koko Taylor
B B King
Eric Johnson
Buddy Guy
Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers
Anson Funderburg
Tina Turner
Oak Ridge Boys
Ronnie Milsap

Last edited:
First- Journey/Bryan Adams, Kemper Arena, 1984
Best- Sammy Hagar - Lake Tahoe, several
Worst- Kansas and Foreigner 2010 ( shot vocals, and too many replacements)
Seeing Paul McCartney next month. Better be good as I could buy his whole catalogue for the price of the tickets.

First- Journey/Bryan Adams, Kemper Arena, 1984
Best- Sammy Hagar - Lake Tahoe, several
Worst- Kansas and Foreigner 2010 ( shot vocals, and too many replacements)
Seeing Paul McCartney next month. Better be good as I could buy his whole catalogue for the price of the tickets.

If you were/are a Beatles fan, you will like McCartney alot. One of the best sounding concerts I ever attended - right there with the stones. Those old Brits really know how to fill a concert hall - probably because they have been doing it so long.

golfnut said:
If you were/are a Beatles fan, you will like McCartney alot. One of the best sounding concerts I ever attended - right there with the stones. Those old Brits really know how to fill a concert hall - probably because they have been doing it so long.

Yes, I am, and have never been to any of his concerts. Since he is over 70 now, I figure I shouldn't delay any longer. I am looking forward to it. I hear he puts on a Bruce Springsteen type all evening concert, lasting close to 3 hours.

First was Fleetwood Mac back in the early 70s before Stevie and Lindsey, best Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull.

Worst, can't remember I was usually too blitzed to differentiated good music from bad back then. I do remember, it was all loud.

First - no idea, maybe Lee Michaels
Best - ditto, like good wine, depended on the company and the circumstances, lots of good ones though. Probably couldn't go wrong with B.B. King opening for Stevie Ray Vaughan at the Bowl (final tour before his fateful end). Was like Stevie was plugged into 220v and on fire.
Worst - Beach Boys at the Greek. Free tickets, Dennis (shortly before his death) was so wasted he was dragged off the stage in a head lock by security. We walked out shortly after, disgusted.

Thought about all the concerts I've been to over the years. In no particular order...

Here's my list (as well as I can remember):

Charlie Daniels Band/Molly Hatchet
Bruce Springsteen (1981 and 2005)
Fleetwood Mac
Harry Chapin
America
Hall & Oates
Jimmy Buffett
Doobie Brothers
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Arlo Guthrie
Jefferson Starship: Next Generation
Marshall Tucker Band
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band
Spin Doctors
Foghat
Blue Oyster Cult

First: Styx-Mr Roboto tour in the 80's
Best: Styx/REO tour (have seen a couple of times)
Worst: Kansas (who was with Styx) at Columbus, OH Polaris amphitheater

My wife and I went to John Denver at same Columbus, OH Polaris amphitheater (her choice) and it was actually pretty good.

Boston and Billy Joel are in the top 5 too.

Heck, I have not been to that many concerts... but hey...

First, Three Dog Night... as opposed to someone else, I thought it was good

Worst - Pat Benatar... during the first song she belted out some loud note and half the speakers blew out.... the half that were on MY side of the venue... she kept singing and we could only hear because the other side was pretty loud.... but still sounded like crap...

Best - I bet I will get some flak for this, but it was Michael Jackson... the Victory and Thriller tour... got free tickets for me and about 20 or so friends.... but the concert was pretty good anyhow...

I will put down my second best... as it was very close to Jackson... Elton John....

Snip...

Probably more than I can remember. There was a thread on that in the past.

In some order: Steppenwolf, Grand Funk, Bloodrock, Chicago, ELP, Yes, Humble Pie, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, McKendree Spring, Dr. John, Larry Coryell, Siegal-Schwall Band, Allman Bros, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, Mac Davis, ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Jefferson Starship, Earl Scruggs, Kiss, Grinder's Switch, Golden Earring, Thin Lizzy, Roy Buchanan, BB King, REO Speedwagon, Bob Seger, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Aerosmith, Foghat, The Outlaws, Bob Dylan, Steve Winwood, Peter Gabriel, Don Henley, John Hartford, Brewer and Shipley, Billy Cobham, Paul McCartney, Al DiMeola, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Loudon Wainwright, Jr. Brown, Steve Miller, Jimmy Buffett, Toby Keith, James Taylor, John McLaughlin, Johnny Winter, Robert Earl Keen, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, John Prine, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Pat Brown, Dierks Bentley, [-]Taylor Swift[/-], Kansas, America, Jerry Jeff Walker, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Dweezil Zappa, Jackson Browne, Steely Dan, Return To Forever...

Probably left out some/many?

Here's my list (as well as I can remember):

Charlie Daniels Band/Molly Hatchet
Bruce Springsteen (1981 and 2005)
Fleetwood Mac
Harry Chapin
America
Hall & Oates
Jimmy Buffett
Doobie Brothers
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Arlo Guthrie
Jefferson Starship: Next Generation
Marshall Tucker Band
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band
Spin Doctors
Foghat
Blue Oyster Cult
We've been to our share of concerts, haven't we... :)

When we went to see the Eagles in '77, we bought six tickets {for us and our friends). The lady at the ticket sales booth said, 'You do know that's gonna be $42 plus tax, right :eek:?'

:LOL:

Ticket prices have changed a bit...

...and HFWR, dewd, you be one concert goin' fool! :D

Last edited:
We've been to our share of concerts, haven't we... :)

When we went to see the Eagles in '77, we bought six tickets {for us and our friends). The lady at the ticket sales booth said, 'You do know that's gonna be $42 plus tax, right? :eek:'

:LOL:

Ticket prices have changed a bit...

...and HFWR, dewd, you be one concert goin' fool! :D

Thirteenth row tickets for Steppenwolf in 1970 were $5.50...

Oh, yeah, I forgot, I saw the Eagles, but I paid $130 ea...

Back
Top Bottom