Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My first car was a 1970 Plymouth Duster that I bought in 1973 and it had about 70,000 miles on it and much of that had been cross country as the owner was from Ohio. I drove it for 12-13 years and sold it after buying a new car. It was red and had some damage on the rear, but it got me where I wanted to go and for the most part was reliable. I don't miss it and wouldn't want to still have it around.

It was similar to this one, but mine had a black interior which was sure miserable when it was hot.

powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

While my first car was the Corvair, my favorite car was a 1985 Chevy Nova - the American made Corolla (joint venture with Toyota). I would still have it today had the young 'un not been run off I35 in North Austin.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
While my first car was the Corvair, my favorite car was a 1985 Chevy Nova - the American made Corolla (joint venture with Toyota). I would still have it today had the young 'un not been run off I35 in North Austin.
I had the 1985 Corolla, the model with a hatchback. Loved it and drove it for 14 years!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #44

Quote:

I had that same car (1985 Chevy Nova/Corolla) and interestingly enough, I was in Austin too when I had it! You're right, it was a great little car. I bought mine used from a retired Col. at Bergstrom AFB, with 50k miles on it. When I sold it, it had 220k. I did have to have a little transmission work done on it at about 190k.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #45

My first car was a '67 Ford Custom 500, a hand down from my folks. It had a 289 cu.in. engine, NO AC, NO radio, NO power steering, NO power brakes, NO automatic trans. In fact, it had a three-on-the-tree shifter and a 3 speed manual. Definitely not a luxury car..but I'm here to say I put a zillion hard miles on that car. I put a hurting on that poor beast but she kept on ticking. However, the REAL fun I had with her...I can't talk about on here!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
My first car I bought with my own money was a 1966 corvette convertable. I paid $6,000 and my dad thought I was nuts. But I drove the crap out of it and sold it years later for $8,500.
I bet you wish you still had that car. You could probably add around 40K to that $8500 you sold it for.
The rear suspension and drive line on those old Vettes was a trip.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first car was a 1972 Maverick. Many, many fond memories.

Here I am at 16 standing in front of my car with my daddy. The pic is kinda fuzzy...like my memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myfirstcar.jpg (91.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm guessing showing up at the dealership wearing only your underpants was a negotiating tactic?
Why, no, I might have been... blackballed!

I don't have any photos of me driving "my first submarine".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

When I finally got a driver's license, the second car in the family was a 1962 Chevy Belair, three-on-the-tree, 283-2 barrel, with a whopping 160hp, similar to this pic, but it was a "two door post"...

Later drove a 66 VW, then bought my first car, a 70 V-dub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1962_Chevrolet_Bel_Air.jpg (120.1 KB, 1 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #50

The first car I learned to drive was an old Comet with three on the column (second gear was going out) and a clutch that was way past its useful life. The wiring on the blinkers was crossed and it took me years to learn up is NOT left and down is NOT right.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #51

Quote:
I'm guessing showing up at the dealership wearing only your underpants was a negotiating tactic?
I've heard of "giving them the shirt off your back," but this is a new extreme.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
This would certainly speed up the transaction
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #53

Bench seats. Radios with five push-buttons. Big steering wheels. $.20 gas wars. There was a time you could look at a car and know its make, model, and year.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There was a time you could look at a car and know its make, model, and year.
... Or open the hood (bonnet) and know what you were looking at.

I learned all I know about cars from taking apart my old MG. If I look under the hood now, I can barely find the windshield washer reservoir.
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

1968 Olds 98 with the Rocket 455 engine, previously the famliy car and trailer towing vehicle, light green with black vinyl top. My dad changed out the rear end for a lower rear axle ratio.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

1959 Hillman Minx bought well used when I was 17. It was up on blocks in my brother's friend's garage. I worked on it all Summer to get it road worthy. It had been "renovated" on the interior. Dash was a piece of wood paneling and all the wiring had been replaced....all with the same color wire.

I was a great learning car. I spend many hours scouring local junk yards for parts; none could be found for it but it used many of the same electrical parts as MGs and Triumph's which helped, along with J.C. Whitney. Sold it after about a year and went to college sans car for 4 years.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

These two VW's got me through college from 1968-72. My first car ever was a 57 Bug (last year for the small, oval rear window) that I painted Kelley green metalflake. That one was followed by a 56 conv. that I painted fluorescent red.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57VWb.jpg (211.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 56VWb.jpg (332.1 KB, 105 views)
nafddur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Steve, my dad had a Hillman Minx when he and my mom got married. No pictures of it, but it was a big day when they were able to replace it with a VW that looked a lot like naffdd's photo of the earlier green one. Naff--I love the convertible!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

This pic is almost a dead ringer for my first car, a yellow 1973 Chevy Vega GT. I thought it was wonderful when I got it but it wasn't a very good car, using a quart of oil with each tank of gas at 50K miles thanks to the aluminum block. Though Chevy sleeved the cylinders and did a valve job on it for $9, even though it was out of warranty. And I had to spray ether in the carb to start it every day in 1978, just before I traded it in...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972_Chevy_Vega_GT.jpg (46.3 KB, 84 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #60

Mine was a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am, complete with big firebird on top and 400 engine.
First new car was a 1990 Mustang LX 5.0 (sleeper), 5 speed with optional rear end ratio.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote