Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Whom would you rate highest as First Spouse?
Bil CLINTON 16 30.19%
Janet HUCKABEE 2 3.77%
Cindy McCAIN 8 15.09%
Michelle OBAMA 27 50.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
Administrator

I would agree with her that there have not been a lot of proud moments over the past twenty years or so. Oh sure, maybe one or two glimmers (which I might have difficulty remembering on the fly), but in general, our country has behaved poorly.

And the stupid American flag pins piss me off to no end. It is cheap, fake patriotism.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, I am sure there might be some on the others lists that might be in the 'Rich' (last name, not $$$s) category... but USUALLY they were already arrested, convicted and had served time... (and I have a suspicion that this might be the only one in recent times)....

But since I do not look at the pardons list... I can not say for sure...
Hey, Libby represented Rich. They have a lot in common...they both didn't serve. One evaded taxes and traded with Iran, and the other lied to the FBI and obstructed justice in the outing of a covert CIA agent.

In fact, Libby is the highest ranking White House official to be convicted since...Iran-Contra. But H. W. Bush pardoned many of those felons.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I would agree with her that there have not been a lot of proud moments over the past twenty years or so. Oh sure, maybe one or two glimmers (which I might have difficulty remembering on the fly), but in general, our country has behaved poorly.

And the stupid American flag pins piss me off to no end. It is cheap, fake patriotism.

Wow. It takes courage to say that here. You are correct and I’d add that the mass desecration of the flag by flying it improperly from every sort of vehicle on the road is a disgrace.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

30% of American's are obese

20% can't locate the U.S. on a world map

83% can't locate Afghanistan

Average credit card debt: $9,000

Ms. Teen South Carolina

National debt: $9 Trillion

Jay Walking

Killed in Iraq: 85,000

44,000 pages of tax code

41% of 50 year olds have saved less than $25,000 for retirement

---------------

Whether or not you are proud of the U.S., one has to admit that it's reasonable to not be proud of America.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
30% of American's are obese

20% can't locate the U.S. on a world map

83% can't locate Afghanistan

Average credit card debt: $9,000

Ms. Teen South Carolina

National debt: $9 Trillion

Jay Walking

Killed in Iraq: 85,000

44,000 pages of tax code

---------------

Whether or not you are proud of the U.S., one has to admit that it's reasonable to not be proud of America.
Hell ya this place sucks!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
And this is something Michelle and Barack can fix. By the end of their first term, wealth should be appropriately redistributed so that all boomers have a nice retirement portfolio! Then, we'll all be able to be proud of the USA!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
And this is something Michelle and Barack can fix. By the end of their first term, wealth should be appropriately redistributed so that all boomers have a nice retirement portfolio! Then, we'll all be able to be proud of the USA!
Awesome then we can goto Wallmart and pick from grey plate or white plates.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Please keep your eyes on the shiny ball, citizens. Do not allow yourselves to become distracted by actual issues.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Please keep your eyes on the shiny ball, citizens. Do not allow yourselves to become distracted by actual issues.
No worries...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #30

If I were Hilary, and I got elected, I'd be getting me a chippendale dancer as an intern.

turnabout is fair play and all that... gotta keep Bill on his toes.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #31

You want to talk about pardons? read this:

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - As governor of Arkansas, Mike Huckabee had a hand in twice as many pardons and commutations as his three predecessors combined.
The case he's asked about most concerns the parole of a castrated rapist who later killed a woman. Although the Republican presidential contender and Southern Baptist preacher plays down any personal involvement in that release, Huckabee granted 1,033 pardons and commutations in his 10 1/2 years as governor of Arkansas. The acts of clemency benefited the stepson of a staff member, murderers who worked at the governor's mansion, a rock star and inmates who received good words from their pastors.

Bill & Hillary were politically unloved people way before Bill ran for office, can someone tell me what Mrs. Obama did before her husband became state senator. Hillary has a record for trying to get a national health care bill passed and she also is known as a hard worker in the congressional committee on which she serves what has Obama done. Granted Obama is a great orator (and after Bush that is certainly welcomed) but he has no record to stand on. Obama talks about honesty yet he ought his million dollar mansion with the help of a man that was a heavy contributor to his campaigns who is currently under indictment in IL. The candidates are all flawed but I much prefer to vote for someone who's flaws I am aware of not someone that might have dark secrets that haven't been exposed yet.

With Obama's lack of political and international experience I sure don't want another President who's old crony advisors and cabinet run the country.

Getting back to the poll, I could care less about the President's spouse after all Laura Bush (a librarian) still hasnt been able to teach her husband how to read a cue card.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Bill & Hillary were politically unloved people way before Bill ran for office,
That's the understatement of the day.......
Old 02-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bill ran for office, can someone tell me what Mrs. Obama did before her husband became state senator.
She's a lawyer and a hospital administrator. Her current job is Vice President, Community & External Affairs, University of Chicago Hospitals.

Michelle Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #34

Quote:
...can someone tell me what Mrs. Obama did before her husband became state senator...
She complained about not being proud of this country.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #35

when they kicked off the campaign, i thought michelle was just the reluctant wife...she was largely uninvolved in the first couple of months. but after seeing her speak and campaign, i am very impressed with her understanding of the issues - ability to relate to regular people while grasping the complexity of the many issues the country faces. she would definitely be an asset to the US and i'd be very proud to have her in the white house and traveling the world to build good will.