First step to ER.... done
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

First step to ER.... done

I'm working on the wind-down checklist:

Step 1: buy an RV. Done
Step 2: quit

It's not a big list, but it's comprehensive
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Step 1: buy an RV. Done
Congrats on your new home on wheels! What did you buy?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U

Although it's older, it's in immaculate condition. Kinda big, but the price was right.

Now I just have to learn to drive it
Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
It's a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U

Although it's older, it's in immaculate condition. Kinda big, but the price was right.

Now I just have to learn to drive it
The late 90's Chieftans were really nice units when new and it sounds like someone took very good care of it - just for you!

With a little practice you'll have no problems driving it. It will take a little longer to master backing into a tight RV space, but that will come with time. Remembering to look up and watch for low-hanging tree limbs and such - that was my biggest challenge.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a relief. I never thought about the low branch thing :-)

I'm going to buy a very good roadside assistance package, just in case I need towing

I also need to learn to tow a car behind RVzilla. Considering the only thing I've ever towed was a semi-full honeywagon, this should be interesting.

Nothing like a challenge!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

Towing a car ("toad" or "dingy") is really easy if your tow four-down, not on a tow dolly. I would forget my car was behind me until I glanced at my rear view camera and wondered "why the heck is that guy right on my tail?" until the brain cells kicked in.

Unfortunately not all cars can be towed with all four wheels on the ground, so you'll have to hope you already have one that qualifies (see link below), or more shopping is in your future! The only negative in towing four-down is it is almost impossible to back up more than a few feet with the car attached.

Using a tow dolly allows almost any car to be used as a toad since the drive wheels of the car are on the dolly, not rotating on the ground. The big drawback is what do you do with the dolly when you arrive at your destination? Often it isn't possible to leave it attached to the motor home (limited space) and wrestling one of those things by hand can be daunting.

But rather than me rambling on and on, here is a link you might find handy: Dinghy Towing, Flat Towable Vehicles, Dinghy Towing Guides - MotorHome
Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks!

I should be ok - I have a manual transmission aEcho with 190,000 km on it. Zippy the wonder car doesn't owe me anything. I figure I can just pop it into neutral and away we'll go.

Probably straight into a ditch, but at least it will be forward motion. And it won't be full of honeywagon stuff.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have no advice since I know nothing about RVs.... but CONGRATULATIONS! Hope you have a wonderful time traveling in your RV.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I know about RVs would fit in a thimble, but it sounds like a very appealing lifestyle. I admire your spirit of adventure and wish you all the best in your retirement.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote