Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Stopped at Five Guys, for the first time. Totally unimpressed.
They are hamburgers. You were expecting to be impressed?
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

5 Guys fries are the best. They're like the fries we used to get at the State Fair,thick and meaty. I dislike skinny fries,ymmv. I think the burgers are good, too. Better than any other true fast food option, although I like 'em all, InOut, Smashburger, Fatburger, heck I even enjoy a good old Whopper now and again.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes I think it's on the food network they have hamburger places they spotlight. It's never any I have heard of and certainly none of the hamburger chains everyone is familiar with. I think those are the ones I would try if I had the chance. Living in the middle of no where I am stuck with the big hamburger chains.

There is a Five Guys about 150 miles north and south of me and I've always wanted to try it, now I'm not so eager based on some of the opinions.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #24

Same here OP! I love a good burger and we just got a Five Guys close by recently. I tried them this summer and found it hardly a notch above McD's. I won't be back.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve never liked Five Guys. But there is a small restaurant near me that’s not a chain, and they have a Jalapeño cheeseburger that is out of this world!!!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:59 AM   #26

I enjoy a good burger and there are a few places I like around here. Been to Five Guys three or four times in various cities, but never thought they lived up to the hype. Pretty ordinary, although definitely a step up from fast food places.

Part of the problem is that if I feel like a burger (not very often) there is nothing that can compare with what I would make at home.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I like the 5 Guys burgers and their fries, but they aren't a particularly good value. I love In 'n Out, sure wish we had them here in Ohio. My favorite chain burger: Fatburger (Double king chili cheese egg burger, thank you). Best value: Checkers (or Rally's) regular burger. I know the burger snobs will jeer, but I like 'em, they are fast, made (or at least assembled) to order, have fresh sliced tomatoes. Still hungry? Get two and still spend less than a McDs Quarter Pounder.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

There is one near me but haven't tried it. But plan to give it a shot in the future. There is a chain called Back Yard Burger close to my old work place. They truly tasted like one off your own grill. When I worked you could get a combo for just under $7. Stopped by for the first time in years a few weeks ago and the darn thing was $10. Guess I'm getting cheap in my old age but not paying that for a drive thru fast food burger at that price. Ha.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Have not had 5 guys and now will not have to try them...
I’d never let the opinions of others, especially anonymous strangers, prevent me from trying any restaurant once. We have good friends whose restaurant opinions we value, but some of our good friends are horrible sources of restaurant reviews for us.

I’d try it and decide for myself, some here do like Five Guys. If you don’t you’re out $7-15 and 15 minutes of your life, but you’ll know if you want to go back.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The nearest Five Guys is too far away to want to go out of my way to eat there. It also happens to be near the closest Shake Shack I eat at maybe twice a year when I am in the area at a meal time. Shake Shack is a little pricey but it is very good. The next time I will be in the area will be in November but after reading these reviews I will stick with Shake Shack if I don't opt for pizza instead.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
They are hamburgers. You were expecting to be impressed?
With all the hype and great ratings, yeah, I was expecting to be impressed. At $22 for 1 little burger, 1 big burger, 1 small fries and one small soda you would think it would be a great burger. And, it sounds like some folks here really do like them, so maybe it just wasn't the kind of burger I expected. We all have different tastes.

I think I'll just stick to the Corner Bar. 2 burgers, 2 fries, 2 beers, $15+tip.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Five guys is really expensive. I’ve been there twice and both times the meat seemed steamed instead of fried or grilled. In & out is cheaper and better.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:58 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a huge Whataburger fan. I do like the fries at Five guys. Best burger ever though? That is at Teddy's Bigger Burgers. A chain in Hawaii. I think there is one location south of Dallas as well.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

You In-n-Out fans realize they’re only in six states (California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas, and Oregon), so many of us don’t have that option unless traveling. I’d like to try one...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 AM   #35

They are fast food burgers. They are not a $20 gourmet hamburger.

Five Guys is fine.

For the money I prefer In-n-Out as it is substantially cheaper than Five Guys.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

They are Ok, the serving sizes for their fries is huge. I don't like the loud music though,
We have become very sensitive to music, and if a place has it so loud you can't talk to each other without shouting, we don't go!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #37

I like In-Out-Burger, but have’nt had one for a while. I like to try Shake Shack sometime.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I like In-Out-Burger, but have’nt had one for a while. I like to try Shade Shack sometime.
I assume you mean Shake Shack. Very good burgers, very juicy.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #39

Grease fries and burnt burgers.
Last time I was dragged there i asked for the burger to be medium or medium rare.
The cook said he can't do that and if you saw this beef you'd insist on it being well done.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I assume you mean Shake Shack. Very good burgers, very juicy.
Yes, thanks for the correction. I think they have one in LA, but when I go to NYC, I will try it there too.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote