Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's worthwhile to pick the lower fruits. After that, it's a lot harder.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I made a little progress with the 40" Sharp by pushing several of the built-in buttons simultaneously (per something I found online) and was able to get past the red power light.

Two screenshots below. This TV is not connected to any input, so the first photo is a display of what I think is "No signal" and the second photo is a menu of items to adjust....(I can't read what they say, so I'm guessing things like video, audio, channel, etc.)

Right off the bat, as you can see, there are a lot of lines/distortion in each photo, and also, each display is showing things in triplicate. I didn't find anything specific online as to what might be the cause of this type of display.

(I also popped off the rear cover and took a quick look around. Everything looks "ship shape"...no swollen caps, loose cables, etc.)

Any ideas on what these screen shots might be a symptom of? A screen gone bad?

(I tried pricing out three of the individual IC boards (power supply, main, and TCon....couldn't find the 4th board's info)...and they run between $35 and $65 each. I hesitate to spend that much with no guarantee of a working TV when I am done.)

omni
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharp No SIgnal screen.jpg (27.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Sharp Menu screen.jpg (49.7 KB, 20 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Whatever info you need to locate the fault will be specific to this TV model, or the series from this manufacturer (TV's of different screen sizes in a series share the same "engine"). If you cannot find any help from the Web, there's no way to proceed. I guess a TV repairman may have access to spare boards that he can swap to see if the problem goes away, but a DIY'er does not have this option.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I made a little progress with the 40" Sharp by pushing several of the built-in buttons simultaneously (per something I found online) and was able to get past the red power light...

omni
It looks like the image is replicated vertically, but it's also scrambled. Unless you can find someone online who has solved this problem with this particular model, it's hard to diagnose. I've fixed my share of TV's- mostly back in the days of swapping tubes. I even used Sams Photofacts and an oscilloscope back then, with mixed success. These days, I would not consider a "shotgun" approach, unless I had access to the correct replacement boards. It doesn't look like a simple configuration setting problem to me. I think you've been given good advice from the forum already.

If you're looking for a hobby, I would begin with simpler electronics. If you're looking to save money, I think could spend your time better elsewhere. I doubt it's worth paying someone to fix it- you'll be charged just for a diagnosis, and possibly/probably be told it's not worth fixing. How much would a new tv like that cost? How about a used one off Craigslist? If you're looking to avoid adding to the landfill, just search for a recycling center in your area.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I discovered that some of these TVs can stop functioning only to be restored with a reset - pressing and holding a specific combination of buttons.
So my son's Samsung TV would turn off by itself after a few minutes and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Since I work with troubleshooting computers, one of the quickest way to fix a bad config setting is to do a hard reset. Sure enough, I turned on the tv, looked through the menu to find reset and wallah! I was amazed that it was just a software issue.

BTW, if you don't have access to a controller, try downloading "Peel Smart Remote" (for android phones). I use it to control all the tv's no matter what brand or model they are. It even includes a tv/cable guide.
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #26

Quote:
I made a little progress with the 40" Sharp by pushing several of the built-in buttons simultaneously (per something I found online) and was able to get past the red power light.

(I tried pricing out three of the individual IC boards (power supply, main, and TCon....couldn't find the 4th board's info)...and they run between $35 and $65 each. I hesitate to spend that much with no guarantee of a working TV when I am done.)

omni
Was there any return policy listed for the boards that you have found?

I know that Autozone around here has provisions to return electrical automotive parts that they sell.

If a web site sells via Mastercard/Visa etc., I believe that they are required by the card issuers to post their return policy.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Was there any return policy listed for the boards that you have found?

I know that Autozone around here has provisions to return electrical automotive parts that they sell.

If a web site sells via Mastercard/Visa etc., I believe that they are required by the card issuers to post their return policy.

-gauss
I didn't check out their return policies. One board wasn't in stock (and it only seemed to have a 50-50 chance of being restocked).

I don't want to order anything unless I am fairly confident that I can get all the parts I might need and have them on hand for any swapping-out trials.

Plus I'm headed off on a 2 week vacation soon and don't want to order parts that might arrive while I am gone...and have them sitting here with their 'return clocks' ticking in my absence.

omni
Old 01-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #28

Given the recognizable but scrambled images and the purple bar on the left, I'd say digital processing problems, so yeah, you've probably got a good power supply and a good screen and bad in between. BUT, if you could put a meter on the power supply and check voltages, sometimes the logic circuits to weird things if you feed them AC when they expect DC and stuff like that. If the power supply is putting out the right voltages, I'd sell that and the screen on eBay (with those pictures from above attached to both auctions). I'd offer refunds, but only if the buyer pays for return shipping.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Is there any way around the PIN entry?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Is there any way around the PIN entry?
I'm unclear as sure what you are asking?

I found some online references to a service reset of the PIN (if one has been activated).

How can you tell if this TV has a PIN?

omni
Old 01-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #31

Found this video about troubleshooting multiple images on flat screen TVs

Note he was able to isolate the problem by disconnecting the 2 halves of the screen between the TCon board and the main panel and then seeing the problem go away after disabling the bad half.

In his case, the problem appeared to be a poor connection that he shored up with a bit of tape to tighten up the fit.

Interesting...

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Found this video about troubleshooting multiple images on flat screen TVs

Note he was able to isolate the problem by disconnecting the 2 halves of the screen between the TCon board and the main panel and then seeing the problem go away after disabling the bad half.

In his case, the problem appeared to be a poor connection that he shored up with a bit of tape to tighten up the fit.

Interesting...

-gauss
Thanks, gauss.

I watched this vid and another dealing with double-imaging, with the simple fix of a tiny bit of scotch tape.

Triple images seem to be caused by something else (possibly a bad screen according to one thing I ran across), and I am still researching this further.

I am learning something about flat screen TVs, so my time has not been wasted, although the learning is a bit slow and uneven (compared to a tutorial).

omni
Old 01-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm unclear as sure what you are asking?

I found some online references to a service reset of the PIN (if one has been activated).

How can you tell if this TV has a PIN?

omni
It asks for it before the reset.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
It asks for it before the reset.
It didn't ask for a PIN, so the previous owner must not have set it up with one.

omni
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Yes I entered all 0s and it worked! I am the original owner so I guess it was me who took the pass.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #36

Status update

It's been a while.

I found a forum online dedicated to this kind of issue, called BadCaps.

A knowledgeable poster there suggested that I replace a certain board in lieu of recapping the entire TV. For less than a $20 outlay (for a 'used' non-returnable FCV board plus shipping from Shopjimmy.com) and Voila! I have a nice picture on the 40" Sharp.

omni

PS: Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. kneehigh's suggestion to use the free Peel Smart Remote Android app was very much appreciated!

PPS: Next up, the 80" LG......(after I fix my Whirlpool dishwasher).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda ad after sharp 40in refurb.jpg (42.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

How satisfying! Congrats!
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

All right! Perseverance pays off, like it usually does. Lesser people would have given up long ago, but you said you are an ME, right?

Old 03-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All right! Perseverance pays off, like it usually does. Lesser people would have given up long ago, but you said you are an ME, right?
Yup...a persistent ME here.

omni
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

That's awesome - I had forgotten about this thread.

After following some, and seeing the quick fixes were not 100%, I though the chance of success was getting rather slim. But since you were mostly in it for the learning experience, no harm done, no big disappointment, learnt a few things along the way - good enough.

And now you got it working - cool! It actually has inspired me to be a bit more tenacious on my next repair. Good work!

Speaking of tenacious, one of many great lines from this movie (skip to 2:14 if the timing link does not work):

"She's ummm, tenacious? You have no idea."

https://youtu.be/JylK4HuKMvQ?t=134

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote