Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our emergency lighting at home is based on our experience from camping. Have a light source with you any time it's possible you could unexpectedly find yourself in the dark.

We stick small (3 AAA cells) LED flashlights all over the house. Must be a dozen or more in various drawers (nightstands in all bedrooms, the table next to my reading chair, office desk, kitchen, etc.). Then we keep a LED table lamp and LED spot light with plenty of spare batteries in my workshop downstairs.

In thirty-some years of living in this house, we've never had a night time power outage where we needed the emergency lights. But, in theory, the plan would be that we'd grab one of the little LED flashlights from anywhere around the house (one is bound to be nearby) and use that to go downstairs and retrieve the big ones and spare batteries. Until the time we actually need a light for an emergency, it's handy having flashlights conveniently around for retreiving that penny you dropped on the floor, etc.

Each spring when we're prepping for the camping season, we check all the flashlights and lamps and rotate batteries so that the oldest will be consumed that summer while camping. It takes an hour or so but we think it's worth it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My engineer BIL spent his career working for Eveready. He says there is very little difference in the quality of almost any brand of alkaline battery.

He stores his in his refrigerator...
The key being 'almost any brand'. I purchased an 8 pack of the cheap 9V alkaline batteries that Lowes sells, should have read the online reviews first. I had problems with every battery in the pack, a couple were dead in the box years before the expiration date, on the others the battery terminals snapped off after very limited use. Problems I've never seen with other brands.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have a couple of Maglite and some cheap 6V laterns. I also just bought a LED flashlight that is very bright. It was ~$30.

Use good batteries. That is the main help.
Maglite's are notorious for having to be trashed because batteries leak/expand, I found that out the hard way. I did use good batteries, just didn't change them out soon enough.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

For me, I go with low discharge eneloop batteries. They last a long time (like over a year) with self-discharging and don't leak like as easily (haven't seen one leak yet) as akalines.

Even AA sized batteries runs lights that look like the familar lantern shapes. Plus, if you want to go with a larger size, there are C and D sized adapters for eneloops.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I know someone who toured a battery factory. The exact same units came off the line and got shuttled to separate labeling stations. No difference other than the off-brand labels.

-ERD50
I would expect that. As a kid, one year I delivered auto parts. Most came out of the same factory with different labels. Walker mufflers and pipes made Walker, NAPA, Sears, Kmart and a few others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #26

I have a radio that uses a spring powered generator to run the radio and an LED light. Crank the handle on the radio to wind the spring for a few minutes and it will run for close to 30 minutes. It's a bit of a pain to use but I never have to worry about leaking batteries. It stays in my winter survival kit in my car.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

IMHO this is a two tool issue. Flashlights in a power outage will highlight objects or problem areas (elec panels etc), but for general lighting I think every home should own a coleman camping lantern. I suggest propane model. A small propane cylinder cost a few dollars and will store for long. A lantern will light an entire room and run for hours. You can pick it up and move it and it provides some limited heat.

On the flashlight side, Streamlight is a very good torch. I'm however fond of Fenix. They are not cheap but I guarantee it will last a lifetime. They are waterproof. The Lumens will cast a bright, defined light over a great distance. They are tactical (in that shining the light in someones eyes will make them turn away or close their eyes). I prefer the ones that run on 123 batteries. I buy them in bulk from amazon and they have a huge shelve life. I've never had one leak on me. They have brightness control. (if you ran them at max power...the batteries will obviously drain much quicker). Small enough to put in your pocket and thumb lever control.

Like most of us, I used to use Maglite's. Now they just seem quaint. And that baseball bat of a 3 D-cell tube just sits on the back of my shelf. With my Fenix, I can even bite down on it and use both my hands to do a quick fix. Turn a Fenix on in the dark and you not only have light, you've a got what can only be described as a white search light
Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I keep several size flashlights on hand and store the batteries outside the units. If a battery leaks, then I just grab a fresh one.

I like good old fashioned candles in solid glass containers for emergency lighting.

I keep both a flashlight and a glass enclosed candle with a book of matches on top in the living room, master bedroom, and kitchen.

If you have Goya products available in your grocery store, they sell a tall white candle (7 day religious candle) enclosed in heavy duty glass for a very good price. It is not sooty at all. Look on the upper shelf above the food items.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'm done with Maglite. Bad battery and 10 hours of work, no go. They used to replace their units, had read the fine print. No more. My last replacement was an led that has solar and manual crank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #30

I have a few LED headlamps from REI. These are great for hands free operation and the batteries seem to last a very long time.

I also have a coast HP7 flashlight. It has zoomable head so goes well from flood to spot. Originally got it for light painting but seems to be very useful generally. I think the coast flashlights are pooh-poohed because they don't use very sophisticated regulation methods but compared to the old style maglights they are miles better (as would any modern led flashlight).
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Understanding the basics of batteries may be a good start in deciding which type to use for specific purposes. For instance, knowing the difference between Primary cell and Secondary cell batteries can affect long term cost.
This wiki page is a good start.
Dry cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Going down to the specific types of dry cell batteries helps to understand which ones are best for use in cameras, flashlights, phones, tablets etc. and where plain "heavy duty" batteries may suffice.

This is a similar, shorter explanation that narrows down the recomendations:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...e_best_battery
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

When the electric goes out I go outside and pull the rechargeable sidewalk lights and use indoors for general lighting. Double duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dhickman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to come to the party late... again.

I've been sort of semi-obsessed with emergency power and lighting for most of my life. Not certain why. As luck would have it, we had an 18 hour black-out Island wide back in '08 and I was ready. The neighbor thought I must have a generator as our house was nearly as bright as usual throughout the ordeal. The radio(s) were blaring the latest updates on the outage and the TV was playing DVDs and VHS tapes for amusement. I just had lots of LED flashlights, LED lanterns and 12 volt batteries/inverters that time. Don't have a favorite battery - just what is on sale. Honestly, I throw out many more "old" batteries than used-up batteries. I look at having lots of extra "semi-fresh" batteries on hand as cheap insurance against being "powerless."

Since then, I've gone a step further. I keep a jumper battery in each car and keep them charged on a monthly basis. I bought a separate small (inexpensive) inverter which plugs into the accessory port in a car (or on the jumper). With it, I can run every LED free-standing lamp in the house simply by bringing one of the jumpers from the car and plugging everything in. Run time seems to be several hours as (I'm guessing) most of the battery drain is to run the inverter rather than the few watts each for the LED bulbs. I figure for any long term problem (to which an Island is quite vulnerable - Grid? WHAT grid?) I can recharge the jumpers from the car alternator and keep lights and radios going until I run out of gas in the two cars.

We lose cable with every power outage, but a medium sized inverter connected to the jumper or a spare 12 volt battery gives a few hours of DVD entertainment (with the lights ON).

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing an inverter large enough to run the side-by-side fridge/freezer and a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries (deep cycle) to power the inverter. Need to do some research first, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #34

We just purchased a Duracell 1000 lumen flashlight at costco, and it immediately made all of our cheap-around-the-house flashlights and spotlights obsolete. It is really bright. We use it to see what the dogs are doing outside at night.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickman57 View Post
When the electric goes out I go outside and pull the rechargeable sidewalk lights and use indoors for general lighting. Double duty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a great idea!!!

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing an inverter large enough to run the side-by-side fridge/freezer and a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries (deep cycle) to power the inverter. Need to do some research first, so YMMV.
Time to just get a small generator?
http://http://t.harborfreight.com/en...9676-8945.html
Less than $350, big enough to start and run a fridge or freezer or even a room AC unit (which would be super handy in some places), you can recharge your big batteries, power tools and LEDs while it is running other stuff, and your fuel would probably last longer than running a car engine just to turn a small alternator. Down side: noisier (for the portion of time it is running) and requires upkeep
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #37

I am considering moving back to my house in my home town. If I do that I will be looking at a natural gas powered generator that can handle the whole house. I figure about 16Kw should be enough. I've seen enough 3 day blizzards with power problems that I think it would be worth the expense.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #38

Flashlights and batteries are interesting subjects. I see we have a couple Lumenaries on the forum, too. I researched the LED lights, the older bulbed lights just are not good technology anymore, not bright and inefficient. I also like Fenix lights and have several, all use AA's. One use is for night hunting and use red and green filters on them. These newer LED lights have adjustable outputs and will go dozens of hours on a low light setting. Good for emergencies or backpacking.

My other lights like the Maglights have been converted over to LEDs. And I have them scattered around, too. I wanted all my lights to take AA's, since they are easy to find and buy...just in case of an emergency. They have to be small, (to fit in my pocket), and bright with a lower kelvin color temperature allowing good color rendition.

====================================
Rechargable batteries...
The best rechargable batteries are Sanyo Eneloops. That's what I have been using. Maybe the other companies have gotten better lately, I don't know. AA batteries in about everything except AAA, (get some of those too).
Rechargeable up to 1800 times.
75% capacity after 5 years of storage. and the newer ones are getting better.
Also...alkalines will leak. These Eneloops are a different chemistry and do not leak and destroy your stuff.

For the Maglights with swollen leaking alkalines in them, you can drill a small hole in the battery bottoms and then screw in a large screw. Then pull the batteries out holding the screw. Take a wire brush, sandpaper, and heavy steel wool to the inside tube. After ruining a few lights and radios, I went to rechargables.

Below...D spacers...to start...the AA fits in the body of the spacer and it becomes a D cell.
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-SEC-DS...ref=pd_sim_e_5
Look at the chart on the page...select D, C, spacers. Get a number of them. This will allow you to use AA batteries in about everything. Get spares, keep them charged. Chart has batteries, etc.

My two cell D LED Maglights will run almost 2 hours on two AA Eneloops in the D cell spacers.

Then get a charger or two. One of the ones I have is one of these...multi-use for different rechargable batteries... and will take DC from a cigarette lighter adaptor pigtail.
NITECORE

From Amazon... Amazon.com: Nitecore IntelliCharger i4 Battery Charger - 2nd Generation: Sports & Outdoors

Adaptor... Amazon.com: MHS-DC12 Car Vehicle Cigarette Lighter Adapter For PowerEx C9000 Nitecore i2 i4: Electronics

I keep spare Eneloops in my truck and cars as well as the house. Just swap them out as needed. Below are the holders I use to keep the batteries together, you can get them in various colors and denominations:
Amazon.com: Storacell: Electronics

Even the mouse I am using with this laptop has an Eneloop in it...

I could go on about solar chargers if you want...
Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #39

A while back i bought a bunch of crank flashlights from LL Bean. I'm not particularly impressed with them but for emergencies they are probably OK. They at least avoid the issue of batteries.

I have a little mini light on my keychain. Given their size they are very convenient when looking for something that has fallen on the floor in a dark space or trying to find a plug in a dark space.

My favorite is my headlamp from REI (or anywhere for that matter). Very bright and the hands free operation is very nice sometimes.

I've been thinking of getting a solar panel for emergencies. It would work for batteries and cell phones. They make them as folding panels and are suitable for backpacking. They come in pretty big sizes as well.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Flashlights and batteries are interesting subjects. I see we have a couple Lumenaries on the forum, too. I researched the LED lights, the older bulbed lights just are not good technology anymore, not bright and inefficient. I also like Fenix lights and have several, all use AA's. One use is for night hunting and use red and green filters on them. These newer LED lights have adjustable outputs and will go dozens of hours on a low light setting. Good for emergencies or backpacking.

My other lights like the Maglights have been converted over to LEDs. And I have them scattered around, too. I wanted all my lights to take AA's, since they are easy to find and buy...just in case of an emergency. They have to be small, (to fit in my pocket), and bright with a lower kelvin color temperature allowing good color rendition.

Rechargable batteries...
The best rechargable batteries are Sanyo Eneloops. That's what I have been using. Maybe the other companies have gotten better lately, I don't know. AA batteries in about everything except AAA, (get some of those too).
Rechargeable up to 1800 times.
75% capacity after 5 years of storage. and the newer ones are getting better.
Also...alkalines will leak. These Eneloops are a different chemistry and do not leak and destroy your stuff.

For the Maglights with swollen leaking alkalines in them, you can drill a small hole in the battery bottoms and then screw in a large screw. Then pull the batteries out holding the screw. Take a wire brush, sandpaper, and heavy steel wool to the inside tube. After ruining a few lights and radios, I went to rechargables.

Below...D spacers...to start...the AA fits in the body of the spacer and it becomes a D cell.
http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-SEC-DS...ref=pd_sim_e_5
Look at the chart on the page...select D, C, spacers. Get a number of them. This will allow you to use AA batteries in about everything. Get spares, keep them charged. Chart has batteries, etc.

My two cell D LED Maglights will run almost 2 hours on two AA Eneloops in the D cell spacers.

Then get a charger or two. One of the ones I have is one of these...multi-use for different rechargable batteries... and will take DC from a cigarette lighter adaptor pigtail.
NITECORE

From Amazon... Amazon.com: Nitecore IntelliCharger i4 Battery Charger - 2nd Generation: Sports & Outdoors

Adaptor... Amazon.com: MHS-DC12 Car Vehicle Cigarette Lighter Adapter For PowerEx C9000 Nitecore i2 i4: Electronics

I keep spare Eneloops in my truck and cars as well as the house. Just swap them out as needed. Below are the holders I use to keep the batteries together, you can get them in various colors and denominations:
Amazon.com: Storacell: Electronics

Even the mouse I am using with this laptop has an Eneloop in it...

I could go on about solar chargers if you want...
Red...thanks for the great post and information. I agree about the Enloops, great rechargeable batteries.