Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Probably win a Darwin Award, though.
probably didn't believe in Darwin's theory, either, but I was thinking the same thing.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who packed the chutes!!!!!!!!!! Yup that’s the video, said the chutes deployed at launch.....
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Once again, it proves you can't fix stupid.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
Who packed the chutes!!!!!!!!!! Yup that’s the video, said the chutes deployed at launch.....
Probably shouldn't stow the chute under the rocket...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #25

A zillion years ago didn't Evel Kneivel's similarly steam powered Snake River Canyon rocket have a similar problem? Premature chute deployment. The only difference was his chute stayed attached to the rocket during the brief flight.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if he got high enough to see the curvature of the earth? Nonetheless, sad? Sure, especially for his family. Stupid? Most definitely.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Look at the moon anytime between new moon and full moon and you can see the round shadow of the earth.
Just to be clear, that is not the shadow of the Earth that you are referring to. The sun only illuminates one hemisphere of the moon at any moment. The curved border you refer to is just the line between the illuminated hemisphere and the unilluminated hemisphere. Think of having a friend shine a flashlight onto a basketball, and then viewing that basketball from different viewing angles.

I suppose you could call it the shadow of the moon, in the same sense that, after sunset here on Earth, the Earth itself blocks us from seeing the light from the sun.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Well, at least it was a quick death at ground impact.

In fact, I wonder if he got knocked unconscious by the G-force at launch already. Manned rockets accelerate more gently unlike missiles, due to the consideration for the human body.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
FE would say it just is getting smaller and smaller until you cannot see it anymore.
And he would be wrong just on the observation. Anyone who has ever looked at a ship out of a submarine periscope, where your height of eye is only maybe 3 feet (making the horizon only about 2 miles away) has seen ships sink below the horizon without appearing appreciably smaller.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Just to be clear, that is not the shadow of the Earth that you are referring to. The sun only illuminates one hemisphere of the moon at any moment. The curved border you refer to is just the line between the illuminated hemisphere and the unilluminated hemisphere.
Right. That's a hard concept for many people until they really think about it.

The Moon is tidally locked to the Earth, meaning it always presents the same face to us (there is no "dark side" even if you are a Pink Floyd fan).

The easiest way to visualize it is by placing something in the middle of your dining table to represent the Earth. Then walk all the way around the table, always facing that object. You will have made one revolution around it while always presenting the same face, exactly like the Moon does every month. Since the Sun (over on the other side of the dining room) is illuminating both Earth and Moon, they each get illuminated on all sides. Since the Earth is rotating on its own axis every day, we get to see the phases of the Moon.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Like Rocky Balboa, at least he took a shot!

Who knows? Maybe he now has a ring-side seat to the Earth and will change his mind. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Once again, it proves you can't fix stupid.
Exactly what I was thinking... but stoopid rather than stupid.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Look at the moon anytime between new moon and full moon and you can see the round shadow of the earth.
Actually, you're confusing moon phases and lunar eclipses. However, point taken.

I think the saddest thing is that we have people in the 21st Century who actually believe things like this flat earth stuff. But there's no point in trying to convince them. I guess it's more fun to believe in elaborate conspiracies than one's own experience.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The other thing that crosses my mind is... even if it was flat... so what? What difference would it make to my life? None.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Just to be clear, that is not the shadow of the Earth that you are referring to. The sun only illuminates one hemisphere of the moon at any moment. The curved border you refer to is just the line between the illuminated hemisphere and the unilluminated hemisphere. Think of having a friend shine a flashlight onto a basketball, and then viewing that basketball from different viewing angles.

I suppose you could call it the shadow of the moon, in the same sense that, after sunset here on Earth, the Earth itself blocks us from seeing the light from the sun.
Maybe look as a total lunar eclipse happens and one can see the curved edge of the sphere of the earth. Though I suppose that the flat earth could be plate shaped which was proposed in the past.

And yes agree that likely a shoe in for a Darwin award.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
Yeah, in the video it looks like the chute lands before he does. Generally a bad sign.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The other thing that crosses my mind is... even if it was flat... so what? What difference would it make to my life? None.

Surely it would. You don't want to come too close to the edge lest you fall off it for one, if you are chicken.

Or if you are a daredevil, you may want to crawl carefully to the edge to look down. But be sure to wear a safety harness first. You may then try to see what the other side of the plate looks like.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #38

Make your own rocketship?

what could go wrong?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Maybe look as a total lunar eclipse happens and one can see the curved edge of the sphere of the earth. Though I suppose that the flat earth could be plate shaped which was proposed in the past.
Well, perhaps, but mountainsoft clearly wasn't knowingly referring to lunar eclipses. Also, due to the large size of the sun, leading to the penumbral and umbral stages, the "edge of the shadow of the Earth" is not actually all that clear in a lunar eclipse. Certainly not clear enough to convince a flat-earther who does not WANT to believe the truth.

Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

netflix or prime has a documentary about this guy - sad he passed away