Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Make your own rocketship?

what could go wrong?
this wasn't his first rodeo but yes, extremely risky
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
netflix or prime has a documentary about this guy - sad he passed away
I think sometimes there is a fine line between adventurous and suicidal.

Skip to about 1:30
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am very surprised there was anyone left in this day and age that still thinks the Earth is flat. I thought it was an established fact that the Earth is round, if even imperfect, but certainly not flat.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Good lord, think I’d rather take a rocket ride.....
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
Good lord, think I’d rather take a rocket ride.....
I think the worst thing that could happen if you "miss" the hole a bit is that you tear off an arm and leg as you pass through.

Hitting the rock directly would probably be a painless death but tearing off 1/2 your limbs would be a real future issue for you.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #46

I did this about 227 times.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Why didn't he launch a camera instead of himself?
Because the camera might be in on the consipracy
limeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post

Come on you know EXACTLY how many landing you did
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #49

Quote:

I prefer the slower version (just as dead if you miss though) - go to about 1:45.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

So you must be IFR rated ?
>>Major respect << !
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Makes for great pucker factor.

And each landing was graded.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Could you land on a carrier like that if there were crosswinds and you had to crab? Or maybe the ship positioned itself for landings so the wind was on your nose? (I know nothing about this stuff)
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I think the worst thing that could happen if you "miss" the hole a bit is that you tear off an arm and leg as you pass through.

Hitting the rock directly would probably be a painless death but tearing off 1/2 your limbs would be a real future issue for you.

Then, do not miss the hole!

A while back, there was a much-publicized story about the death of a well-known Chinese rooftopper. I just ran across an explanation of the failure of his last feat.

Following are some of his earlier exploits, obviously with success.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I am very surprised there was anyone left in this day and age that still thinks the Earth is flat. I thought it was an established fact that the Earth is round, if even imperfect, but certainly not flat.
87% of Americans believe there's an invisible creature who can hear the thoughts of every person on Earth.

IBTL.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
87% of Americans believe there's an invisible creature who can hear the thoughts of every person on Earth.

IBTL.
Is it that high?

But really, pondering infinity can lead you to some pretty bizarre things. I was just thinking about it the other day. If time is infinite in both directions, then there existed at some point in some pre big bang universe a Fermion who posted this exact rambling except one hair on his head was 1 degree to the right of where it is now. The fascinating thing is that this will happen again in the future to a new Fermion. Everything exactly the same, every facet of my life except that one hair being 1 degree off from where it is now.

You think about that and then anything is possible and death really doesn't matter.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Could you land on a carrier like that if there were crosswinds and you had to crab? Or maybe the ship positioned itself for landings so the wind was on your nose? (I know nothing about this stuff)
Never really had any crosswind because the boat would just turn into the wind. Although there could be some hairy dynamics in high natural winds because the landing area is angled 9 deg off centerline, so the runway was always drifting to the right as you came down the chute.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

From the LA Times-

Daredevil killed in rocket crash outside Barstow
‘Mad Mike’ Hughes, who’d done stunts for decades, had hoped to soar to 5,000 feet.
MIKE HUGHES is shown next to his homemade rocket in 2017. (Paul Buck EPA/Shutterstock)
By David Zahniser
Mike Hughes, the self-made engineer who billed himself as the “world’s greatest daredevil,” was killed Saturday outside Barstow during a launch of a homemade rocket gone wrong, his publicist confirmed.
Hughes, who went by the nickname “Mad Mike,” was captured on video as he rode a rocket into the sky, failed to activate a parachute and then plummeted to his death, said Darren Shuster, his public relations representative.
The daredevil had been hoping to use Saturday’s launch to reach a height of 5,000 feet, according to a post on Space.com. Instead, dozens of people watched in horror as he fell to earth, said Justin Chapman, a freelance writer who told The Times that he attended the launch.
“Everyone was stunned. They didn’t know what to do,” said Chapman, who had been working on a profile of Hughes. “He landed about a half a mile away from the launch pad.”
An official with the San Bernardino County coroner’s office said she expected there would be a “lengthy” investigation into the incident. “We have no facts at this point,” she said.
Saturday’s launch was supposed to be featured in “Homemade Astronauts,” a series on the Science Channel, according to Discovery.com. The series followed people looking to “explore the final frontier on limited budgets,” the company said.
Chapman said he believes the daredevil had been knocked unconscious during the launch, which took place in the desert south of Barstow, off Highway 247. “The parachute ripped off at launch,” he said. “So the rocket went straight up in an arc and came straight down.”
None of Hughes’ backup parachutes activated, either, Chapman said.
Hughes, 64, had been performing stunts for decades, making long-distance jumps in a limousine and, in more recent years, riding in his own homemade rockets. In 2018, his rocket soared nearly 1,900 feet into the air, landing in the Mojave Desert.
Before that launch, Hughes told the Associated Press that he believed Earth is flat — or, in his words, “shaped like a Frisbee” — and that he wanted to fly into space to make sure.
Shuster, who did not attend Saturday’s launch, said the flat Earth argument helped drum up publicity and sponsors for Hughes, who made his rockets at his home in Apple Valley.
“I don’t think he believed it,” Shuster said. “He did have some governmental conspiracy theories. But don’t confuse it with that flat Earth thing. That was a PR stunt we dreamed up.”
Other sponsors, such as a New Zealand dating app, later signed on to promote Hughes’ adventures, Shuster said.
Eric Sherwin, spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire Department, said his agency had neither been alerted in advance that Saturday’s rocket launch was going to take place nor informed of the fatality after it had occurred.
Fire Department officials will look into why they were not told of the crash, Sherwin said. A private company, Desert Ambulance, was on the scene at the time, he added.
“They said they did have a fatality,” Sherwin said. “They pronounced a single person deceased at 1:45 this afternoon.”
Hughes’s DIY rocket-making ventures drew widespread attention, attracting the interest of documentary filmmakers and reality TV producers. His supporters donated money so that their names would appear on his rockets, Shuster said.
“He was this generation’s Evel Knievel,” the publicist said, referring to the late daredevil motorcyclist and showman.
“This guy knew he wasn’t going to live till 80. I spent a lot of hours with him,” Shuster added.
“He had something in him that compelled himself to push himself further each time.”
like2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

IBTL.
Your point is taken, but "creature" is not the correct choice of words to describe this belief!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Your point is taken, but "creature" is not the correct choice of words to describe this belief!
being or entity would probably be a little better.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

These insane stunts are morbidly fascinating. I watched a GoPro video by a wingsuit flyer who was about the sixth in line of a group of flyers. About half way thru the video they soared close over the ground and I noticed what appeared to be one of the flyers further ahead flash past crashed on the ground. There was no way to know if that was actually one of the flyers but it was awful anyway.