Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't think the parachute was supposed to come off at launch.
stlguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember chuckling about this guy's earlier attempts, some years ago. He made some comments about how he "didn't believe in science." I figured that would come back to bite him, lol.

I got the impression that he was a poor man's wannabe Evil Kenievel who wanted publicity, and to get it, he had co-opted this flat earth philosophy. It wasn't his original reason for building the rocket. He got into it because it brought him publicity.

He has a history of getting injured in his attempts before. He also had a pattern of scheduling flights and then calling them off for one reason or another. I guess he finally got off the ground, for a while anyhow.

As one of the commenters said, "Look who's flat now, motherf*cker." lol.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because then he'd have to trust the pilot, quoting from the altimeter. And you know how those guys are always making stuff up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Why didn't he just book a commercial flight? You can easily get 6 miles high that way.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I am very surprised there was anyone left in this day and age that still thinks the Earth is flat. I thought it was an established fact that the Earth is round, if even imperfect, but certainly not flat.
IMO the flat earth concept is a symptom of the general doubting of any kind of advanced expertise that is pervasive in some groups of humans. The doubters only believe what they themselves can witness, and then they themselves can come up with a suitable explanation that matches their worldview.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Just to be clear, that is not the shadow of the Earth that you are referring to. The sun only illuminates one hemisphere of the moon at any moment. The curved border you refer to is just the line between the illuminated hemisphere and the unilluminated hemisphere.
Well dang, now I feel stupid...
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

I deny he was onboard the rocket
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
So you think he was on the ground when the falling rocket killed him?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:14 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

A while back, there was a much-publicized story about the death of a well-known Chinese rooftopper. I just ran across an explanation of the failure of his last feat.
When I see something like that, I always wonder:

Does the person have profound regret of their action and consider how they just wasted their life and had they not done such a stupid thing, they would not be about to die as they are now ?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #69

Dead at 64. Tragic. Tragic. Perhaps a lesson for the rest of us.

On my way out to the shop right now to make sure that the "adjust seat lumbar support" and "deploy parachute" levers are clearly marked on my home built steam powered rocket.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Does the person have profound regret of their action and consider how they just wasted their life and had they not done such a stupid thing, they would not be about to die as they are now ?
They only have a few seconds to regret their actions.

But leading to that moment, they had a long time to plan their exploits and to think about it. Did they fail to consider failure? Maybe some people have an invincible feeling about themselves. Some like to live on edge, to push the envelope.

I don't know. I guess being a pessimistic kind of guy, I constantly consider what happens if I fail in some endeavors. Would I just lose a bit of money? A limb? My life?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
So you think he was on the ground when the falling rocket killed him?
Could it be a publicity stunt? Has the coroner confirmed the presence of a body? And positively identified him?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I got the impression that he was a poor man's wannabe Evil Kenievel who wanted publicity, and to get it, he had co-opted this flat earth philosophy. It wasn't his original reason for building the rocket. He got into it because it brought him publicity.
Right - when I had read about him once before I got the impression that the flat earth thing was just for the publicity.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Right - when I had read about him once before I got the impression that the flat earth thing was just for the publicity.
Well, he got it, I guess. 15 seconds of fame as a dumb guy.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

I've found myself heading toward the ground at high speed a couple of times. The thought going through my head is always "Ah s**t, this is gonna hurt". And then, miraculously, when the BLAMMO moment occurs it never hurts. Pain comes later, if you're lucky.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I did this about 227 times.

Exactly what our oldest tells us he now wants to do.

We'll see if he feels the same way as he progresses through flight school...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
That seems to be exactly the case.

Quote:
In the past, Hughes said he believed the Earth was flat, with some publications stating his launches were aimed at seeing the Earth's curvature for himself. In August 2019, however, Hughes told Space.com that his flat-Earth belief was not his launch motivator. He was simply a daredevil, pushing the envelope of homemade rockets, Hughes said.
'Mad Mike' Hughes, daredevil who built a homemade steam rocket, dies in launch attempt
Old 02-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Surely it would. You don't want to come too close to the edge lest you fall off it for one, if you are chicken.

Or if you are a daredevil, you may want to crawl carefully to the edge to look down. But be sure to wear a safety harness first. You may then try to see what the other side of the plate looks like.

Or take a selfie while dangling your feet off the edge.....
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

At least his last words were probably not the typical "Here, hold my beer!"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #79

I find it interesting that this site doesnt allow certain topics, yet they have no problem allowing members to make fun of someone's death. Keep it classy.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

While watching all the cats, pushing stuff off to watch it fall. Or...would stuff actually fall? Does gravity exist away from the Earth's edge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmore View Post
Or take a selfie while dangling your feet off the edge.....
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote