Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
While watching all the cats, pushing stuff off to watch it fall. Or...would stuff actually fall? Does gravity exist away from the Earth's edge?
I think you would just flip over to the back side........(gravity).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, of course; that makes sense. Boy, think of all the cool stuff that must be stuck to the Earth's underside by now. If I were a Flat Earther, the heck with going up in the air. I'm going underneath on a scavenger hunt!

(Why does this make me think of the blonde joke that ends, "We're not stupid, you know. We're going at night.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I think you would just flip over to the back side........(gravity).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, of course; that makes sense. Boy, think of all the cool stuff that must be stuck to the Earth's underside by now. If I were a Flat Earther, the heck with going up in the air. I'm going underneath on a scavenger hunt!

(Why does this make me think of the blonde joke that ends, "We're not stupid, you know. We're going at night.")

I was about to say that people should have thought of exploring that underside long ago.

Now, if you go, you may simply see many drill bits from oil rigs poking through from the other side, plus all that frac sand they pump through.

Seriously, it has been said that it is a myth that people of ancient times believed in Flat Earthism.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The myth of the flat Earth is a modern misconception that Earth was believed to be flat rather than spherical by scholars and the educated during the Middle Ages in Europe.

The earliest documentation of a spherical Earth comes from the Ancient Greeks (5th century BC). Since the 600s AD, scholars have supported that view, and by the Early Middle Ages (700-1500 AD), virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint.

Since the 1400s, belief in a flat Earth among educated Europeans was almost nonexistent...

The revival of Flat Earthism is a peculiar phenomenon of recent times. The medieval people were not as silly as we think.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, if you go, you may simply see many drill bits from oil rigs poking through from the other side, plus all that frac sand they pump through.
35 years in the oil and gas industry has me believing the earth is like an Oreo cookie with the oil and gas in the middle. You can drill from both sides!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I did not disagree. What I said was that the greedy oil pumpers kept drilling deeper and deeper, and they might have broken through to the other side.

Note "might have". We don't really know until we go there to look.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I did not disagree. What I said was that the greedy oil pumpers kept drilling deeper and deeper, and they might have broken through to the other side.

Note "might have". We don't really know until we go there to look.
We have not seen the back side of the moon so maybe it's time to get a probe out there and have it double back and photograph the underside of Earth?

Where is Elon when you need him
Old 02-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #87
Administrator

Quote:
We have not seen the back side of the moon so maybe it's time to get a probe out there and have it double back and photograph the underside of Earth?

Where is Elon when you need him
Too late, the Russians took photos in 1959.

https://moon.nasa.gov/resources/26/f...lunar-farside/

Of course that is only if you believe the rubbish that anyone has actually been to the moon
Old 02-25-2020, 03:05 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never had a serious conversation with a "flat earther"...do they profess to know what part of the earth is the dead-center of the disk? The radius from the center to the edge, and what lies right on the edge?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

In those ridiculous suits from the 1969 fake videos? As if a person could even move around in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Of course that is only if you believe the rubbish that anyone has actually been to the moon
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I've never had a serious conversation with a "flat earther"...do they profess to know what part of the earth is the dead-center of the disk? The radius from the center to the edge, and what lies right on the edge?

They organize frequent conventions. You can attend one of these, and ask them.

I suspect that the answers would be that nobody yet knows, and we need exploration to find out. Like the rocket launch that's talked about here.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

>>It's not that hard to see. Water seeks it's own level, but a boat sailing off into the distance will disappear over the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
FE would say it just is getting smaller and smaller until you cannot see it anymore.
No, no, it's sea monsters pulling the ships down.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post

Look at the moon anytime between new moon and full moon and you can see the round shadow of the earth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87440093_10156663061785876_597356412443557888_n.jpg (45.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I find it interesting that this site doesnt allow certain topics, yet they have no problem allowing members to make fun of someone's death. Keep it classy.
You got it all wrong ponyboy. We're not at all making fun of someone's death... his death is a tragedy... however we are making fun of his stupidity.

Even if he had survived or was slightly injured we would still be making fun of him so it has nothing to do with the fact that he died.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You got it all wrong ponyboy. We're not at all making fun of someone's death... his death is a tragedy... however we are making fun of his stupidity.

Even if he had survived or was slightly injured we would still be making fun of him so it has nothing to do with the fact that he died.
+1

“Gallows humor” is defined as “witticism in the face of – and in response to – a hopeless situation. It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.”

In light of this guy's stupidity and recklessness, death was both impending and unavoidable.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I suspect he figured he would have to operate the camera...
But what if THEY rig all the cameras in the world?
-- Mad mike, probably.

Seriously tho, RIP.
lionfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

If mad Mike put a pillow at the landing spot, he would have survived. So stupid.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.

Someone once said that people like Mike are committing suicide on the installment plan, they just don't know when the final payment will occur.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I did this about 227 times.

WOW- just watched this with my teenage sons. Glad for the safety of our country that someone (you- thanks) could do this but glad I didn't have to!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Mad Mike was interviewed on the Tosh.0 show

Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote