Flat tire plug kit

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There has been many topics on tires through the years on ER. I'm not sure there has been one on using a tire DIY tire plug repair kit.

A couple hours ago we were driving, and a notification came up I had low tire pressure. Then on my wife's phone and a low front drivers tire low pressure alert. When I got home, I found a screw in the tire and removed and used the repair kit to fix the tire. It took less than 2 minutes to do and it never was flat still had 26 pounds when I fixed it while tire was still mounted to hub.

I have used it a few times through the years and seem to work great. I have not had to take the tire in for repair after it was plugged. I've run them with the plug till I needed new tires.

Living in a rural small-town setting you don't have the pleasure of having someone available to fix a tire.

Anyone used one or have one available if you need to get out of a pinch.

I've been using plug kits for 50 years. Always keep one in the trunk along with some tools, etc. (but I am Old School and repair my own cars).

I've been using plug kits for 50 years. Always keep one in the trunk along with some tools, etc. (but I am Old School and repair my own cars).
Yep I do as much repair as I can myself also.

aja8888, your plug repair is it a permanent fix or do you have someone repair it later.

I know some just use the kit as a temp fix, but I have never had an issue using them for a permanent tire fix.

Last edited:
I just plug 'em and forgot about it.

The shops are around here want to put a patch on the inside of tire, or sell you a new tire :)laugh:).

I thought most still patch but like you said if they can sell you a new one, they will.

This sounds like a really good idea.

Few years ago, I had 2 flats fixed while traveling, cost $25 each time.

They took the tire off the rim, found the nail, took it out, plugged it with a thing and I think they put a patch on the inside as well.

Can folks recommend a kit they have used ?

Used a kit plenty of times over the years. They always worked great with no problems. I have a plug in one of my tires now that I put in a couple of years ago. It is getting to be too difficult for me now to remove the nail or screw and push in the plug so I guess I will have to pay next time.

Cheers!

I have patched tires for years. Once I took my wife's car for an oil change and asked the shop to patch a tire that was leaking. The mechanic called and said I should consider buying a new tire. I asked why, he said he found five separate patches I had done.

I carry one in vehicles as well as on my motorcycle, and have never had one to fail.

I have always carried a kit.. Years ago when working construction took my truck in for new tires and they counted 14 plugs between the 4 tires...

I have always carried a kit.. Years ago when working construction took my truck in for new tires and they counted 14 plugs between the 4 tires...

LOL!
The two tires I just had replaced had one plug. It was installed ~35k miles ago so I see no reason for taking a tire in either for a patch.

They do recommend it, but in my experience, I see no reason for applying a patch after installing a plug either.

Thanks OldShooter. I actually think the shops use plugs also, but not sure.
It's been a while, but I do remember when we were young and poor we asked the local garage what's the cheapest thing they could do to get my car with a flat tire back on the road, and they put a plug in the nail hole. IIRC, it looked like a tiny metal cone attached to a rubber "string". It lasted me longer than that car did!

I am not an engineer, but I would think that in theory a patch would be stronger, as it spreads out the force on the whole interior surface of the patch, whereas a plug mainly has the force keeping it in place against the inside of the hole.

It's been a while, but I do remember when we were young and poor we asked the local garage what's the cheapest thing they could do to get my car with a flat tire back on the road, and they put a plug in the nail hole. IIRC, it looked like a tiny metal cone attached to a rubber "string". It lasted me longer than that car did!

I am not an engineer, but I would think that in theory a patch would be stronger, as it spreads out the force on the whole interior surface of the patch, whereas a plug mainly has the force keeping it in place against the inside of the hole.

Plugs are glued in and the part that extends past the inside of the tire expands to a diameter bigger than the small hole it was shoved through. :)

Yes, that theory (patch) would be hard to argue against not being better for those reasons.

On the other hand, using a plug has never failed me yet for the life of any tire. The roads that I travel are mostly gravel and rock and tough terrain.

The plugs have really done me well though.

I have a kit in each car, just in case.

I have used them long term once or twice. Even though I read a lot of criticizing of them, there sure seems to be a lot of anecdotes of long term success (assuming it is done properly, not too close to the sidewall).

Though since Discount tire fixed mine for free (and I didn't even buy the tire from them), why not get a proper patch, or replace the DIY patch later)?

It is getting to be too difficult for me now to remove the nail or screw and push in the plug so I guess I will have to pay next time.

Last time I did this, maybe 10 years ago, I was surprised just how hard it was to get that rasp-tool into the hole, and to get the plug inserted. And this was in my garage, so decent working conditions. Took a *lot* more strength than I expected.

-ERD50

If you get a kit get the ones that have a T handle because it will be easier to push plug in with the T.

Although I have used plugs in the past, I wouldn't use that method now unless I had no other option. These days, I just take my tire to Discount Tire and get it repaired properly for free. And no, they don't always insist you need a new tire, I've had them do the free repair several times. Now, I think most of the time a plug will work fine if you are careful. However tire professionals want to see if there is any other damage that may be invisible from the outside so the only acceptable practice for them is to remove the tire and put a patch on the inside. The Rubber Manufacturers Association (trade group) says a plug is an unacceptable repair so any tire place using that method could incur significant liability.

Plugs are fine depending on how big the hole is, where on the tire the hole is and how the plug is applied. I've used them for decades for the life of the tire and never one problem. Never ever use a patch or plug for a permanent sidewall repair. Many of the shops use a plug / patch combination. More money in it for the shop this way since they have to dismount and remount the tire and should rebalance it as well.

If you get a kit get the ones that have a T handle because it will be easier to push plug in with the T.
Like this:
38349-albums263-picture2704.jpg

38349-albums263-picture2705.jpg

Looks like this one is similar: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7101688 with a smaller number of plugs and a too-small tube of cement. :(

Although I have used plugs in the past, I wouldn't use that method now unless I had no other option. These days, I just take my tire to Discount Tire and get it repaired properly for free. And no, they don't always insist you need a new tire, I've had them do the free repair several times. Now, I think most of the time a plug will work fine if you are careful. However tire professionals want to see if there is any other damage that may be invisible from the outside so the only acceptable practice for them is to remove the tire and put a patch on the inside. The Rubber Manufacturers Association (trade group) says a plug is an unacceptable repair so any tire place using that method could incur significant liability.
Discount Tire is the only national brand that I have any loyalty to. They are terrific both in simple service and in going above and beyond for warranties. Their practice is to plug and then patch on the inside. I don't even price shop for tires, I just go to them.

That said, @Ian S I think you have succumbed to what is sometimes called a "ghost story." The "Rubber Manufacturers' Association" is no different than any other trade association. It's objective is to maximize revenue for its members. Patch-and-plug is no doubt superior to plug-only, but the question really is whether plugging is sufficient for a particular leak or not. My experience is that it is sufficient for almost all leaks.

I use slime products. 100 miles to and fro to a repair shop the slime kit has saved me more than a dozen times.

It's like America Express, I don't leave home without it. I've carried one in every vehicle I've owned for decades. I seem to get fewer flats these days than in years past but when I do "most of the time" I can plug the tire while it's still on the car. Sure makes it nice. If you get a kit, get a good one, since plugin steel belted tires can take a little effort.

Back
Top Bottom