Join Early Retirement Today

Florida- If the Hurricanes Don't Get You, the Sinkholes Will
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Florida- If the Hurricanes Don't Get You, the Sinkholes Will

Florida sinkhole swallows swimming pool

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Or the pythons will...

Florida's biggest Burmese python killed by man with knife
Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

But, Florida's beaches are simply amazing - - a national treasure, as far as I am concerned. Florida has a lot of positive attributes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sinkhole insurance has become a hot topic here in Florida. With my homeowners insurance and standard sinkhole coverage my home would have to be damaged to the point where it is considered unsafe to live in. If the home would simply be damaged, such as cracks in the walls with the possibility of repair, I have no coverage. I can buy additional insurance to cover this sinkhole hazard, but it is not something that is a normally covered peril.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Sinkhole insurance has become a hot topic here in Florida. With my homeowners insurance and standard sinkhole coverage my home would have to be damaged to the point where it is considered unsafe to live in. If the home would simply be damaged, such as cracks in the walls with the possibility of repair, I have no coverage. I can buy additional insurance to cover this sinkhole hazard, but it is not something that is a normally covered peril.
That is similar to earthquake policies up here. They cost plenty, and likely in a big quake the government would be up here throwing money at everyone. Many condos do carry it though, perhaps as a selling aid, or perhaps it costs less in this situation. I can't even remember if we have it.

Ha
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

I was wondering if the sinkholes might be able to intercept some of the errant vehicles that make Florida dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if you should use your turn signal when disappearing into a sinkhole.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Sinkholes are not funny. Maybe you heard this one on the national news. There was a house in a town east of Tampa where a sinkhole opened up one evening. The 27 year old guy sleeping in his bed dropped down into the sinkhole and was never heard from again. Rescue workers figured he was down in there about 50 feet and all the dirt just piled in on top of him. That is his resting place. Couple weeks later they bulldozed the house and the one next to it as being too dangerous in which to live.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Florida sounds almost as scary to live in as Texas!

A

P.S. Tarantulas have been crossing the streets at night in my neighborhood lately . Maybe the have a "migration" thing in the summer.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sinkholes are not funny. Maybe you heard this one on the national news. There was a house in a town east of Tampa where a sinkhole opened up one evening. The 27 year old guy sleeping in his bed dropped down into the sinkhole and was never heard from again. Rescue workers figured he was down in there about 50 feet and all the dirt just piled in on top of him. That is his resting place. Couple weeks later they bulldozed the house and the one next to it as being too dangerous in which to live.
I did hear about this, and I agree that this is not funny. Sinkholes are found wherever the subsoil is a limestone reef, especially in a state like Florida where many areas have sandy topsoil.

Ha
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #11

Quote:
This was a sad incident. What strikes me is the total combination of circumstances that led to the tragedy. sink holes can take decades to form, at a minimum, and the characteristics of the rock that allow a sinkhole to develop in one particular spot were created back in the mists of geologic time. What are the chances of a person building a house with a bedroom exactly over one of these ancient weak spots? It boggles the mind. Which is why it was news. Also, most people assume their bedroom is not built over a sinkhole, so that affords them the luxury to stop and stare.

Maybe that's the new bogeyman for bad children: if you don't behave, a sinkhole will get you?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post

This was a sad incident. What strikes me is the total combination of circumstances that led to the tragedy. sink holes can take decades to form, at a minimum, and the characteristics of the rock that allow a sinkhole to develop in one particular spot were created back in the mists of geologic time. What are the chances of a person building a house with a bedroom exactly over one of these ancient weak spots? It boggles the mind. Which is why it was news. Also, most people assume their bedroom is not built over a sinkhole, so that affords them the luxury to stop and stare.

Maybe that's the new bogeyman for bad children: if you don't behave, a sinkhole will get you?
And that house had been inspected only a few months previously so the owners could get sinkhole insurance, with no signs of being endangered.

So many things to worry about.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
gone traveling

Well, Florida doesn't have an exclusive on sink holes, they happen everywhere. Did you see the one in OK adjacent to a highway after some of the recent tornado activity. Then you have parts of the west coast sliding into the Pacific. These natural disasters really seem to be on the rise everywhere.

More curious than sink holes and the pythons, are the giant snails invading Florida that can piece car tires:

Florida fighting giant African land snails - CNN.com
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

That limestone is the thing...

Cenote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote