Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my hair trimmed a bit for DD wedding. Haircut is not mandatory for a mountain Hermit.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #22
gone traveling

I’m gonna consider my upcoming airfare to Thailand paid for by Flowbee
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #23

About a year ago I bought Wahl clippers with the attachments. It paid for itself in the first month. Wish I would have done it sooner.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:37 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's DW Jenny cutting my hair eighteen years ago (age 13):

She did it (and I paid her) until she left for college at which time she taught DW to do it.

This needs to make it to the new ER Newsletter.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #25

Another 20-year Flowbee fan here. Only additional expense over the years was a set of replacement blades a few years ago, and the quick shot of WD-40 before each use. Consistent and perfect every time.

Saves so much time, money, not having to deal with silly/unpleasant chit chat, and the one thing which totally disgusts me - the stylist/barber who wreaks from their last cigarette break.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost everyone who cuts their own hair does not have good hair to begin with...or they're basically bald.

If you have a lot of hair and choose to cut it yourself...you have issues.

Im bald...so for me...a cheap pair of hair trimmers is all I need. If I actually had hair Id go to a barber so I would look like a normal human.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:08 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I cut my hair with scissors for about ten years until I read about the Flowbee in a thread here. Got one about 3 years ago and have been using it since. All told I have probably saved $1500+ but the money isn't why I do it. I just don't like the hassle of going to the barbershop.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Almost everyone who cuts their own hair does not have good hair to begin with...or they're basically bald.

If you have a lot of hair and choose to cut it yourself...you have issues.

Im bald...so for me...a cheap pair of hair trimmers is all I need. If I actually had hair Id go to a barber so I would look like a normal human.

I've got lots of hair and have been cutting it myself for a decade and change now, using wahl clippers. I also look back fondly at the first $30 purchase so long ago and how it paid for itself in a month. Did have to replace a couple years ago, but got the cordless lithium ion battery powered one and whoa, it's so much nicer! No cord flopping all around. I think I do a pretty darn good job thank you very much

What I want to know is if anyone out here has learned to cut women's hair so they can do their wife's hair at home rather than them going out. Then we could save some real money. I highly doubt I could convince my wife I'd do it well though. She spends a good amount of time bothering over it, and a goodlier amount of money on products for it, and is never happy with it
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Saves so much time, money, not having to deal with silly/unpleasant chit chat, and the one thing which totally disgusts me - the stylist/barber who wreaks from their last cigarette break.
This is what drove me to DIY. 20 odd years ago, the shop was full of smoke.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWinter View Post
I've got lots of hair and have been cutting it myself for a decade and change now, using wahl clippers. I also look back fondly at the first $30 purchase so long ago and how it paid for itself in a month. Did have to replace a couple years ago, but got the cordless lithium ion battery powered one and whoa, it's so much nicer! No cord flopping all around. I think I do a pretty darn good job thank you very much

What I want to know is if anyone out here has learned to cut women's hair so they can do their wife's hair at home rather than them going out. Then we could save some real money. I highly doubt I could convince my wife I'd do it well though. She spends a good amount of time bothering over it, and a goodlier amount of money on products for it, and is never happy with it
I lop my gal's hair. She jumps in the tub, dunks her head back in the water so the hair is soaked and streams backward, then sits on the edge of the tub with her head upright. I brush her hair back so it lays flat and sticks to her back, then cut an inch or more off level across the back. She re-dunks, I check for a straight cut and no escapee long hairs and my part is done. At times I'll catch her doing some touch-up trimming. She cuts a number of other's hair as called upon and colors her own hair now and again, doing a far better job than most of the salon jobs I've seen.
She eschews clippers mostly, but a real game changer was years back when I talked to an old barber about who sharpened his shears. Ended up sending her scissors to a gent in Idaho, who put a faint scalloped edge on one blade and a flat edge on the other. Result is that the hair stays put between the blades and doesn't push out as you cut. I need to do that again...
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always had a full head of hair even when I didn't have any. Hair was always something I put up with and I finally convinced DW to give me a very short buzz cut. She did it for years, saved some bucks too. Now, in ER, she convinced me to grow it out. People say I look younger with hair. I think it's the perpetual smile I have after leaving w*rk!
I balk at the cost of a cut, but DW likes the hair better than the bald look, guess I'll keep the hair until it abandons me.

DW is very vain about her hair, something an ex-boyfriend told me about her in high school. He was right too. DW spends ALOT on her hair, solons, coloring, shampoo, conditioners, etc. I've been semi successful in mitigating the costs over the years but, I mostly just smile and let her do her thing. It's really her only extravagance, so I count myself lucky.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
About a year ago I bought Wahl clippers with the attachments.
I agree about the Wahl.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

This needs to make it to the new ER Newsletter.
Might need some editing. The way I read it, he married his 13 YO daughter?

Then either got divorced and married current DW, or is a bigamist?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

By coincidence, I came across this site:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...de-millions-1/

Check out business #2.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #35

We have a flowbee. DH uses it. We used to use it on the boys - but older son now wants "styled" cuts and younger son can't be bothered getting a haircut. (He's got a curly mop of long hair... which works in a surfer town.)

I have great hair - long, thick, auburn (used to be red)... waist length. Twice a year I have my husband lop off a few inches in a straight line while it's wet. Stylist/fancy places always want to give me a cut that requires blow drying and styling... I can't be bothered... It's either down, tucked behind my ears... or in a braid or ponytail. I get compliments on my hair regularly - so why do I need a fancy style that costs a lot of money.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #36

I've started cutting my own hair in the past six months. I like it a lot better. Not only do you save the money (about $25 a pop for me), but you save the time and hassle of a trip to the stylist -- the 20 min drive there, the sit-and-wait while reading some dumb magazine, the awkward conversation with the stylist, and then the 20 min trip back.

I use a Remington clipper that vacuums up the hair, so there's no mess. $40. I goofed up a little at first, but I've gotten the hang of it. My haircut is pretty straightforward, nothing fancy. I've gotten some compliments, so I can't be doing too bad.

Another bonus is that I can keep my hair shorter this way. I used to let it grow longer, partly because I was avoiding going to the barber, which I find a hassle.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
. . . because a $10 cut/style isn't going to be any better than the flowbee.
I've had great $10 haircuts and atrocious $30 "styles." I go to a $10 barber, get a good haircut, usually pleasant conversation and a catch-up on community stuff (new road construction, stores opening/closing, etc), and no attempt to sell me hair care products.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #38

I pay $4.61, but I give the girl a $1.54 tip
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #39

I got one shortly after they came out, about 1987. Had to buy a replacement tube set. My kids laugh about it, but it falls in the category of 'If you haven't tried it don't knock it'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #40

I cut his hair. He trims mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wife at Golden Corral.jpg (465.4 KB, 38 views)
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote