Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
If I was the mother of that 16-year-old student, I would sue the instructor for endangering my son and scaring me to death! Neither may be against the law but I would do it anyway
Society has enough burdens without frivolous lawsuits. And even where there is a legitimate cause of action, >90% of the time litigation is a serious waste of time, energy and money.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Society has enough burdens without frivolous lawsuits. And even where there is a legitimate cause of action, >90% of the time litigation is a serious waste of time, energy and money.
Four months later and only tangentially related to the aviation topic but hey, thanks for stopping by...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #23

No need to be snide. Remember the old saying: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

On the aviation topic: I don't think anyone here has enough facts to make any judgment about the pilot concerned. The fact that he ran out of fuel after a mere 45 minutes may perhaps imply that he didn't conduct a proper pre-flight inspection, but that isn't necessarily the case. There may well be extentuating circumstances that are not spelled out in the (very brief) media report.

P.S. Find me a pilot who hasn't pushed the endurance of his or her aircraft once or twice, and I will show you a pilot who is either lying or has minimal cross-country experience.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #24

OK! Here is one! I never remember being concerned about the fuel gauge. I have over 4,000 hours flying time, and lots of cross-country time, to include island hopping across the Pacific. My guess you are going to find lots of others out there that don't press the fuel gauge.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The only pilot I knew in the military who "pushed the [fuel] endurance of his or her aircraft once or twice" was removed from flying status due to his exercise of poor judgment.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Seen any good movies lately?

Sneak Peek: Hilary Swank as Amelia Earhart - ABC News
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Remember the old saying: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
Good point-- the irony speaks for itself!

... and you have a nice life now.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
My guess you are going to find lots of others out there that don't press the fuel gauge.
Perhaps. But not in Northern Canada, where fuel can be hard to come by.

CuppaJoe, I'm looking forward to that movie. My only question is, does it feature CGI? Sure hope not.

Diane Keaton's Amelia Earhart: The Final Flight was a made-for-tv movie, but for all that I thought it was pretty good. And it had real aircraft!

Nords, what's up with all the sarcasm? First it was "but hey, thanks for stopping by...". Now you've decended to "... and you have a nice life now."

I haven't posted anything to merit these passive-aggressive attacks.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

You're all wrong. Here's proof you don't need gas to take off.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #30

Yes, but even this guy had enough fuel to make it home!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #31

Well, if that highlander guy doesn't have enough fuel, he can always jettison the 2-ton balls he has and glide home.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #32

That's quite the link, thanks for sharing.

I watched some of his other videos, and am quite impressed with the aircraft's performance.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John Denver didn't check his fuel level once, on his last flight.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

I believe that John Denver's problem was that he couldn't switch gas tanks in that homebuilt plane because it required reaching behind your back with a pair of pliers. Of course, his alcoholism didn't help matters.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
I believe that John Denver's problem was that he couldn't switch gas tanks in that homebuilt plane because it required reaching behind your back with a pair of pliers. Of course, his alcoholism didn't help matters.
I believe failure to refuel was one of several findings for the accident. From the NSTSB report (bold is mine):
Quote:
PROBABLE CAUSE

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause of this accident was the pilot's diversion of attention from the operation of the airplane and his inadvertent application of right rudder that resulted in the loss of airplane control while attempting to manipulate the fuel selector handle. Also, the Board determines that the pilot's inadequate preflight planning and preparations, specifically his failure to refuel the airplane, was causal. The Board determines that the builder's decision to locate the unmarked fuel selector handle in a hard-to-access position, unmarked fuel quantity sight gauges, inadequate transition training by the pilot, and his lack of total experience in this type of airplane were factors in this accident.
http://www.avweb.com/other/ntsb9905.html
Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

He also didn't have a valid medical certificate. He's definitely a case of a mentally impaired "pilot".
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I had no idea that John Denver was an alcoholic, however, I am not aware that alcohol played any role in the accident. There are lots of folks out there who are abstinent alcoholics.

As a read REWahoo's quotes it appears that Denver had too much confidence in his mastery of the aircraft and failed to run a proper pre-flight check. I seem to recall that Denver's father was in the Air Force and that John was an avid pilot. (And yes, I know that John Denver is not his birth name.) It is so easy to overlook details.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I had no idea that John Denver was an alcoholic, however, I am not aware that alcohol played any role in the accident. There are lots of folks out there who are abstinent alcoholics.
Correct. The link REW provided explicitly indicates that Denver was negative for all substances tested, including booze (ethanol). He did have a history of alcohol problems including at least two DWI charges.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

You are quite correct, he did not have alcohol in his blood at the time of his crash. He had been flying under a special issuance of his medical certificate after completing rehab which called for complete abstinence and MD visit every 3 months. His MD had reported him as not being abstinent and the FAA had sent him 2 certified letters revoking his flying priviledges. After receiving those, he bought that plane and went flying. The FAA talks about dangerous attitudes in pilots, one being anti-authority, as in the rules don't apply to me. Unfortunately, he had it in spades. Overall, just a da_n shame.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

"OK! Here is one! I never remember being concerned about the fuel gauge. I have over 4,000 hours flying time..."

I haven't either after 15,000+ hrs of civilian, military, and commercial flying.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote