Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fond memories of Summer Camp
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fond memories of Summer Camp

Recently while sorting through an old trunk, I came across a banner from my old summer camp. Wow, did the memories flood back.

For three summers in the early to mid 70's my folks packed me off to the bus station; for a 9 hour trip to New Hampshire. I was sent to an all-boys summer camp called Camp Idlewild (the same camp that my father & his father attended as children). It was located on Cow island in lake Winnipesaukee.

I first l attended the camp at 10 years old and after the initial shock of leaving home dissipated, I remember those 8 weeks (for three consecutive summers) being magical. (I'm sure they were also magical for my parents!)

The camp closed after the 1975 season... honestly, I don't know how a camp like that could ever operate today. It's a shame, really... whether it was my age or naiveté, I miss those summers and youthful innocence.

Any other campers out there

BTW: For anyone interested... here's a website that celebrates that wonderful camp... The Camp Idlewild Alumni Home Page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (50.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Back%20Cover.jpg (87.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pg%2016%20-%20Middler.jpg (187.0 KB, 10 views)
Seeking Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounded like you had a blast!
Thanks for posting.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Camp Yonahlassee, North Carolina

My uncle, Eric "De" DeGroat, was partner and director at Camp Yonahlassee in Boone, North Carolina, until he died in 1976. Many wonderful memories there and for family reunions at the end of season when the camp closed.
The site is now a private resort development with homes/condos and has retained a few of the original camp facilities. Great summer memories.
"Hold on to 16 as long as you can!"
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Administrator

What great memories!

I went to summer camp once but got thrown out. Totally unjustifiable reasons. But I did work in summer camp for 3 summers.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I went to a camp called Aloha Hive on the shores of a lake in Vermont all summer for two years when I was 10 and 11. I flew there with my brother the first year, since he was going to the equivalent boys' camp, and alone the second year. I loved it. My favorite activity was the canoe, but I also loved archery and basketmaking and climbing local (small) mountains, and so much else. We put on a Gilbert and Sullivan musical each summer (The Mikado, and Iolanthe). The food was great, my fellow campers were outstanding, I loved living in a cabin right near the woods and being able to go for walks and pick berries or just enjoy nature, and the counselors were OK for grownups.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Interesting to see how the other half spent their summer vacations. My 'summer camp' experience involved an army surplus cot and a tarp thrown over the clothesline in the back yard...
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting to see how the other half spent their summer vacations. My 'summer camp' experience involved an army surplus cot and a tarp thrown over the clothesline in the back yard...
Hey, that's fun too... We did that from time to time. The reason I was sent off to camp, was that my parents wanted some time away from the kids, to travel alone. So, to them summer camp was sort of a babysitting thing, I suppose. I would have rather been with them, but summer camp was a great second choice.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I never went to summer camp my parents really could not afford to send me . I would look at all the brochures for St.Theresa little flower camp and be so envious of my friend ( The town Doctor's daughter ) who did go while the rest of us made do with swimming lessons and day camp . When I had children I sent them to great camps until finally my daughter said " Mom you can not relive your childhood through me ".
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I am astounded by the envy some seem to feel regarding summer camp. I would have LOVED to go to something local near my home, so that I could be with my family and friends. Guess it's a case of "different strokes for different folks"! I felt a little abandoned, being sent off on a plane by myself to a bunch of strangers a thousand miles away at barely ten years old. But once I was there, and got to know people, I felt better about it.

When my daughter was that age, I sent her to a free municipal summer day camp. She got to do a lot, enough to keep them busy and happy all day doing camp type stuff. She just couldn't spend the night.

Remember those watch fobs that you make by weaving long, flat, multicolor plastic strips? That was so cool. If only there was a real USE for those things....

Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here's the summer camp I went to YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow - Home Page - YMCA of Greater San Antonio, mid 60's. Don't remember much but it was fun. I remember making lanyards, lots of swimming, cabins and being required to write home every day. And getting a few letters from home - pretty silly in retrospect, kids probably just text today if anything. I also learned about mildew...

The only humorous story I remember, I was fishing (not catching mind you) along a river and fell in fully clothed - over my head deep. Not knowing any better at about age 9, I Immediately went back to the cabin to put on dry clothes and stuffed my wet jeans, t-shirt, etc. in a corner and left them there for the rest of the week. Can you say extreme mildew? Can you say stupefied Mom when they came to pick me up?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I pretended I went to the camp in the Hayley Mills's version of Parent Trap.

The camps described above look like they were so much fun!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Here's the summer camp I went to YMCA Camp Flaming Arrow - Home Page - YMCA of Greater San Antonio, mid 60's. Don't remember much but it was fun. I remember lanyards, lots of swimming and the cabins. The only humorous story I remember, I was fishing (not catching mind you) along a river and fell in fully clothed. Not knowing any better at about age 9, I went back to the cabin and stuffed my wet jeans, t-shirt, etc. in a corner and left them there for the rest of the week. Can you say mildew? Can you say stupefied Mom?
Yes, lanyards! That's what those were called. I loved making them. Oh, and BestWifeEver, I wonder if they sell the plastic stuff for making lanyards at Michael's. If so, we could buy some. I could make one and reminisce, and you could make one and enjoy a really fun summer camp activity. Now if only we could think of something to do with them once we finished.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, I am astounded by the envy some seem to feel regarding summer camp.
Nothing more than the money grass is greener syndrome. I was also envious of my friends whose parents belonged to the country club and spent their summers playing golf or at the CC pool. Being poor when your friends aren't really sucks, especially when you are a kid.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to day camp at the park - I loved it. One time I had too many dixie cups - and had a stomachache for the rest of the day! My brother & I used to pick black berries and sell them door to door (daily), in order to pay the entrance to the public swimming pool. After I was 12 years old, I spent summers making money babysitting and cleaning for a motel nearby. To tell the truth, I did envy the kids that were on vacation, or got to go to a real camp-out summer camp.

I didn't realize the value of developing a work ethic until much, much later.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

My unrequited desire for summer camp is probably why I went to a few Club Meds . Camp with alcohol ,good food and s-x and no curfew .and a great camp theme song .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I pretended I went to the camp in the Hayley Mills's version of Parent Trap.

The camps described above look like they were so much fun!
OMG, I'd forgotten Hayley Mills. She'd be 66 now, man am I old, but she'll always look like this to me...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
OMG, I'd forgotten Hayley Mills. She'd be 66 now, man am I old, but she'll always look like this to me...
Me, too! I thought the Parent Trap was such a great movie.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nothing more than the money grass is greener syndrome. I was also envious of my friends whose parents belonged to the country club and spent their summers playing golf or at the CC pool. Being poor when your friends aren't really sucks, especially when you are a kid.
I felt sorry for a lot of the kids at my summer camp. It seemed to me that a significant number went to boarding schools during the year, and were sent to camp all summer so they seldom if ever saw their parents, home, or family. I felt so lucky that I had a home and family to return to after the summer and my heart ached for those who didn't.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of church camp for me as a kid. Attended and then worked for two years as an early teen. Lots of good memories. Met my first "true love" there when I was 14. Got in trouble for staying out after curfew. Need I say more?
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Was just thinking about summer camp earlier this week. I went to a girl scout camp that was very similar to the one in The Parent Trap. My parents could only afford one week/year, but at age 12, I got a job washing dishes at the camp, which meant I got to go for free for the entire summer. Did that for a few years -- loved it!

And, how fun that your camp, Seeking Hobbes, was on Lake Winnipesaukee. What About Bob? is one of my favorite movies, and a significant portion of the movie takes place there.
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote