Join Early Retirement Today

Foot Callouses Tuesday
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Foot Callouses Tuesday

OK, we've dealt with nose hairs and pimples in weird places, so today's gross topic is foot callouses. How do you deal with the hardening/thickening of the skin under your feet and on your heels?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This was more of a problem for me growing up in Hawaii, where I went barefoot much of the time and got thick callouses. I didn't do much about it and my feet were pretty ugly!

Now that I live on the Mainland, I wear shoes except inside the house. Because of that, the condition of my feet really isn't much of a problem. I just use some aloe lotion on my feet occasionally.

You can buy foot kits with pumice and such to smoothe the feet, but I never really felt the need to go to that much trouble.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The problem I get is usually in the winter after doing martial arts every day. I don't moisturize my feet as well as I need to, so what happens is I get a large crack at the base of the callous on my big toes. And then they end up bleeding, so I have to wrap athletic tape around my toes so I don't leave blood everywhere. Stupid thing takes a while to heal, too.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You could do nothing unless your FIRE plans include becoming a foot model.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Don't get them.
Twice a week, go to the Y around 9 in the morning, Ju-Jutsu workouts, about 1 to2 hr, usually in cheap Chinese slippers w/ cloth soles. Then a half hour free weight, fast anaerobic work 'till it burns in the muscles.
7 minutes on the rowing machine with 2 ea. 1 minute intensely fast rowing. A languid 1/2 hour in the sauna, keep throwing water on the sensor to keep it good an hot, softens all tough skin, after which good long shower gets rid of them budding callouses. All of the stuff in one continuity.

Retirement is good, have time for all this.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
You could do nothing unless your FIRE plans include becoming a foot model.
We haven't seen Al's feet, that I recall. Maybe he is!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

They build up on the ball of my foot, and become uncomfortable. I shave them down with a foot file thing, but it takes a lot of time. I'm thinking electric sander on low speed, or sanding barrel on electric drill.

Same idea as something like this:

Heel Smoother Professional Grade Home Spa Pedicure Tool Electric Callus Remover Artemis Woman - Feet - Heel Smoother Pro
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We haven't seen Al's feet, that I recall.
Oddly, you have. Remember this?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This microplane tool works like crazy. DW gets a heavy callous in the center of the ball of her foot - a genetic issue, and this trims it right down very fast. It actually slices the callous parallel to the skin with a very sharp edge - it is easy to overdo it if you are used to sanding the callous away. A cup handle catches the shavings, a nice touch

I have found it cheap on QVC in the past.

Microplane® Personal Care - Foot Files
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Oddly, you have. Remember this?
Oh my... I had repressed that, I think! What a hideous coral cut that was (though as I recall, it healed rapidly).

Guess your future as a foot model is a bit bleak. Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld in which George was a hand model.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Travel. Other reviews I saw were similarly enthusiastic. I ordered one today.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, Travel. Other reviews I saw were similarly enthusiastic. I ordered one today.
We have a couple of them - I think you'll like it. Just be careful - it cuts fast!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pedicures are for men too! Seriously, you'll love it.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #14

We have a kitchen drawer full of microplanes. I've often thought the small cheese grater would be good for removing callouses; I see they're one step ahead of me.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How do you deal with the hardening/thickening of the skin under your feet and on your heels?
Crocs or any of the many "copy cats" -- I like Nothinz. I don't know if they will prevent or cure callouses but they are the most comfortable things for your feet ever invented.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
We have a kitchen drawer full of microplanes. I've often thought the small cheese grater would be good for removing callouses; I see they're one step ahead of me.
Actually the same company - they also make cheese graters...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Actually the same company - they also make cheese graters...
Yes. I mean, that the microplane small cheese grater would be perfect. The triangle cutter, on the other hand, would just hurt!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
They build up on the ball of my foot, and become uncomfortable.
This is one problem I have, too, that is just one of my many little problems for which I have found no satisfactory solution.

I normally just wait until I can't bear the irritation/pain anymore and then I use Dr. Scholl's callus removers.

Then, they build up again, and I wait until I can't bear it and buy Dr. Scholl's again.

I will check out Travel's recommendation, though--thanks!

I now realize that the key is not to wait and to do regular upkeep (in this case filedowns) and maintenance. I get into trouble with stuff when I wait too long to do something, instead of just doing stuff on a regular basis.

(You all should see my eyebrows ...Now, I am thinking of a phrase I heard the other night that made me laugh. Someone was talking about how a nun in their Catholic school in New York would say to girls who had unkempt hair that they looked like the "wild women of Borneo". It might be un-PC but it sure made me guffaw. Borneo is just south of the Philippines, and I think at one time, Filipinos thought or considered it part of the Philippines.)
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #19

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread with a recent discovery.

Like some of the OPs, my heels get thick callouses. I bought a microplane. It works. But I sometimes overdid it and that HURT!

I accidentally found something that works and is free!

I was sitting on my concrete patio in a low "beach chair" reading a book. I noticed that, in the course of shifting positions in the chair, I had lightly dragged my heel across the concrete and it left a light "track" on the concrete. I figured out that this was the "residue" of my callous.

Using the patio as my "heel planer" (or sort of a "reverse pumice stone") yielded smooth heels and none of the bleeding/abrasion/pain from overdoing the planer.

It's now a month later and my heels still look smooth and callous-free.

YMMV.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread with a recent discovery.

Like some of the OPs, my heels get thick callouses. I bought a microplane. It works. But I sometimes overdid it and that HURT!

I accidentally found something that works and is free!

I was sitting on my concrete patio in a low "beach chair" reading a book. I noticed that, in the course of shifting positions in the chair, I had lightly dragged my heel across the concrete and it left a light "track" on the concrete. I figured out that this was the "residue" of my callous.

Using the patio as my "heel planer" (or sort of a "reverse pumice stone") yielded smooth heels and none of the bleeding/abrasion/pain from overdoing the planer.

It's now a month later and my heels still look smooth and callous-free.

YMMV.

omni
Another thing that works is do a light job with the pumice stone, then rub pure lanolin into your feet. Heels get quite smooth very quickly.

Ha