Join Early Retirement Today

Football Comment Thread
Old 01-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Football Comment Thread

Maybe we can put our enthusiams and comments for Holiday Football here.

Sugar Bowl-How about those Utes! Who expected that defense? Sylvester tore them up all evening.

It might have been very different had Andre Smith played at offensive tackle- anyone know what got him suspended?

I think Alalbama must have been in shock for the 1st quarter, but even after they started playing Utah dominated.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I can say is we need to scrap the BCS system and go with a play-off system. Until we do I am boycotting future bowl games.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #3

Most of us want a playoff system. College presidents don't. Most likely reason cash! So how do we force a playoff system. I say boycott the bowl games next year, heck boycott college football and all their advertisers. If the movement is started now, then I'll bet by next year the BCS comes up with a new playoff system. The threat to the sponsor of bowl games alone should bring it about. Would Verizon foot the bill if people wrote and said. 'If you advertise on college football it's AT&T for us.'

The Internet is a great way to start a movement. Just Googled 'boycott college football' seems like others have the same idea.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #4

I lost interest in College football long time ago. Until they come up with a playoff system I will stick to watching the NFL playoffs and root for my team.

Go PATS....... Oh wait a minute they are not in the playoffs with an 11-5 record!!! while teams with an 8-8 records are in.

Heck even the NFL system is not perfect.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I never understood this game you call football.

If the ball is only allowed to be kicked on special rare occasions, and is mostly thrown by hand or carried about clutched to the body, why not call it runaround ball or hand ball or running ball etc. Anything but football.
Very little connection to kicking or maneuvering that oblong thingy with the feet.

In the game Americans call soccer, penalty is issued for using hands on the ball except by goalie.

Just puzzled.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

If the ball is only allowed to be kicked on special rare occasions, and is mostly thrown by hand or carried about clutched to the body, why not call it runaround ball or hand ball or running ball etc. Anything but football.
Very little connection to kicking or maneuvering that oblong thingy with the feet.

In the game Americans call soccer, penalty is issued for using hands on the ball except by goalie.

Just puzzled.
Probably based on the same logic the Brits used in naming their brand of baseball after an insect...
Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Probably based on the same logic the Brits used in naming their brand of baseball after an insect...
Very good..... Never understood that either.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I think that the winner of the Texas-OSU game was hoping for #2 final ranking, but Utah has a solid grasp on #2 as I see it. Of course, they probably deserve a #1 ranking with a 13-0 record, but the BCS will not allow it.

BUT...What if Florida and Oklahoma both play a mistake-filled, boring game that ends in a 3-0 score? Will anyone be tempted to vote the winner#2?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What a mess...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Bama basically over achieved this year. Saban did a good job to get them as far as he did. Utah deserved the win. I'm not a Bama fan so I kind of enjoyed seeing the Tide go out to sea.

Ha, it is rumored that Smith signed an agreement or received favors from a pro football agent.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I think that the winner of the Texas-OSU game was hoping for #2 final ranking, but Utah has a solid grasp on #2 as I see it. Of course, they probably deserve a #1 ranking with a 13-0 record, but the BCS will not allow it.
I don't think they have a lock on #2; in reality I don't think they have a chance even if they may be deserving of it. I think Utah finishes anywhere from #3 to #5.

I don't think the Utes can make it higher than #4 unless Texas loses (OSU has zero chance of leapfrogging Utah even if they beat Texas, IMO). I also think the voters will keep USC over Utah. That means at best Utah gets #3 (with a Texas loss). If Texas wins, it's probably the OU/UF winner at #1, Texas #2, USC #3, Utah #4 and the OU/UF loser at #5. And even here I think #4 and #5 might flip-flop.

As for a #1 ranking, there *was* precedent a couple years ago when Boise State got #1 votes for being the only remaining undefeated after beating OU. But after that I think more pressure was put on voters to drink the BCS Kool-Aid and *require* them to pick the MNC winner as #1.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Administrator

I watch only one football game per year - Army/Navy. It is more important than any bowl game, and, if Navy wins, they could lose every other game and it still would be a successful season in my book.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I watch only one football game per year - Army/Navy. It is more important than any bowl game, and, if Navy wins, they could lose every other game and it still would be a successful season in my book.
Well, by that standard Navy's had a LOT of successful seasons lately.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Administrator

Yes they have [insert gloating emoticon here].
Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Ha, it is rumored that Smith signed an agreement or received favors from a pro football agent.
I see, that makes sense. Took nerve to sit him out, and it may have cost them the game. I think the line with him was pretty much a sack-stopper.

RE playoffs, I kind of like the bowls. It does not disturb me at all that we cannot crown an absolute champion.

I've been watching bowls for a very long time. I remember sitting in my LR as a little boy wondering how any place could be as beautiful as Pasadena in the winter. Also all the games were played on New Years Day, and followed the sun. Another plus was there were no idiotic half-time "performances".

However, by the time the Rose Bowl rolled around thoughts of returning to school were starting to spoil my vacation.

Ha
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 PM   #16

Unfortunately, I have yet to watch my Buckeyes get stomped by Texas. Yes, I know ye of little faith. Maybe they will surprise me.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
All I can say is we need to scrap the BCS system and go with a play-off system. Until we do I am boycotting future bowl games.
Amen!! However, I'm still rooting for my Gators. Have a good golf buddy that was QB for the Gators back in 59-60.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Just puzzled.
Soccer is really football with an occasional hand ball which has an entirely different description. Football is really becomming "throw ball" or "pass" ball which is really bridge. Now, we're getting somewhere!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Amen!! However, I'm still rooting for my Gators. Have a good golf buddy that was QB for the Gators back in 59-60.
Spurrier?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
RE playoffs, I kind of like the bowls. It does not disturb me at all that we cannot crown an absolute champion.
I'm with you. It's just entertainment. And even if a playoff system was established, that hardly ensures that the "best" team is the champion. With one game playoffs, the inferior team will still win from time to time due to flukes, lucky breaks, etc.